LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

'13 TPMS on '07?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-16, 07:21 AM
LS2k
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts
Default '13 TPMS on '07?

I got 2013 Tmps on an '07 car and when the tire place reprogramed the ecu it registered the new IDs but the dashboard is stuck showing "checking" then the tpms warning error. Tried the reset button but in vain. From the other thread on tpms, I gathered that I need to have the '13 tpms reprogramed with the IDs of the '07 tpms. Is that correct? Just wondering why registering the '13 IDs didn't work.

Last edited by LS2k; 10-27-16 at 07:24 AM.
Old 10-27-16, 07:32 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

How did you determine the ecu was flashed with the new ID's? What equipment was used?
Old 10-27-16, 09:45 AM
LS2k
Intermediate

The tire store used a tool that was branded bridgestone and running on android i think to login and register the 2013 IDs on my '07. Next when he restarted the car and the tool the new ids showed up in the tool but on the dashboard was still stuck on checking.

Last edited by LS2k; 10-27-16 at 11:27 AM. Reason: Ls2k
Old 10-27-16, 07:06 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Originally Posted by LS2k
The tire store used a tool that was branded bridgestone and running on android i think to login and register the 2013 IDs on my '07. Next when he restarted the car and the tool the new ids showed up in the tool but on the dashboard was still stuck on checking.
The dealer can do it, or you can flash the id's yourself with this tool (See Amazon): ATEQ Quikset TPMS reset tool
Old 10-28-16, 06:55 AM
LS2k
Intermediate

Thanks, I'm aware of this tool from another thread on tpms and the issue seems to be that programing the ecu with these new ids doesn't work for some odd reason. Interesting part is that my spare tire is still the same 07 tpms and showing properly on dashboard, but when he changed the id of that spare tire it got stuck on "checking" mode then when he changed it back to the original 07 id it appeared right away on the dasboard. So the tool is registering ids properly but the ecu won't read/work with the new '13 ones.

That's why I'm thinking that my next option is to go to a discount tire store? where they would have a tool that can reprogram the 07 tpms IDs onto the '13 tpms that are on the wheels already. I read on the other thread that you can order tpms programmed with your current tpms ids and now need to find a tire place that has this kind of tool not the one to reprogram the ecu. I wonder what is this tool is called and which chain of tire place carries it.
Old 10-28-16, 04:01 PM
superdenso
Instructor

Thanks, I'm aware of this tool from another thread on tpms and the issue seems to be that programing the ecu with these new ids doesn't work for some odd reason. Interesting part is that my spare tire is still the same 07 tpms and showing properly on dashboard, but when he changed the id of that spare tire it got stuck on "checking" mode then when he changed it back to the original 07 id it appeared right away on the dasboard. So the tool is registering ids properly but the ecu won't read/work with the new '13 ones.

That's why I'm thinking that my next option is to go to a discount tire store? where they would have a tool that can reprogram the 07 tpms IDs onto the '13 tpms that are on the wheels already. I read on the other thread that you can order tpms programmed with your current tpms ids and now need to find a tire place that has this kind of tool not the one to reprogram the ecu. I wonder what is this tool is called and which chain of tire place carries it.
The 07 id's are $30 each or less (Amazon).
Old 10-29-16, 04:08 PM
LS2k
Intermediate

Default Ls2k

Originally Posted by superdenso
The 07 id's are $30 each or less (Amazon).
Thanks but would like to know: are the '13 tpms OEM IDs not reprogramable and /or compatible with the the '07 ecu?
Old 10-29-16, 04:59 PM
jmcraney

Received 255 Likes on 195 Posts

Most TPMS wheel sensors have unique IDs. Some suppliers can deliver these with predetermined IDs and I believe that some sensors can be can have their IDs altered with electronic tools. Although some members of our forum have expressed a preference for the custom IDs, I think the unique IDs would be satisfactory in most applications.

I think you need to take your car to a tire dealer who is equipped with the electronic tools to read the sensors ID codes from all 5 wheels and determine if the sensors are all functioning and are registered in the cars electronics. They should be able to determine the sensors codes and condition without removing the tires from the wheel. Once you have determined that all sensors are functioning and are registered you should be all set. I think some of the major tire dealers will do this for you complimentarily or for a very nominal fee.

Once you get it working then you will need to benchmark the TPMS. The pros will probably do that for you too.
Old 10-29-16, 05:46 PM
LS2k
Intermediate

Default Ls2k

Thanks! the 2013 tpms have been scanned and are working properly. The issue is that when the tires shop tried to register them in my 2007 ecu it is not working for some reason. i would need to know if 2013 OEM lexus TPMS can be reprogrammed so that i can give them my 2007 tpms IDs.
Old 10-29-16, 05:52 PM
mmartin252
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Similar issue

i had a similar issue recently. I had a 2008 600HL with aftermarket rims. I sold the car and bought a 2013 460L. I put the rims off of my 08 on my new 13 and vice versa. Neither car would read the others TPMS. I took to dealer and they tried putting codes from the 08 that was now on my 13 and it wouldn't work. They told me the 08 sensors was not compatible with my new car. I ended up buying new TPMS's and installed them and all is well. They gave me 20% off cost to change them out.
Old 10-29-16, 06:30 PM
jmcraney

Thanks! the 2013 tpms have been scanned and are working properly. The issue is that when the tires shop tried to register them in my 2007 ecu it is not working for some reason. i would need to know if 2013 OEM lexus TPMS can be reprogrammed so that i can give them my 2007 tpms IDs.
If you are asking us if your sensor ID code can be altered - we have no way of knowing that. The sensors that are OEM on new cars have a fixed code. This is pretty reliable stuff. The best solution for you may be to buy a new fixed code sensor for an 2007 model and change out your sensor. Fixed code sensors for your car are readily available for about $35.

Originally Posted by mmartin252
i had a similar issue recently. I had a 2008 600HL with aftermarket rims. I sold the car and bought a 2013 460L. I put the rims off of my 08 on my new 13 and vice versa. Neither car would read the others TPMS. I took to dealer and they tried putting codes from the 08 that was now on my 13 and it wouldn't work. They told me the 08 sensors was not compatible with my new car. I ended up buying new TPMS's and installed them and all is well. They gave me 20% off cost to change them out.
Your point is well made. A check of sensor part #s from several different sources shows that the part #s for LS460s are different from LS600s. But all model years of the LS460s have the same part # and all model years of the LS600s have the same part #.
Old 10-29-16, 07:14 PM
jmcraney

The difficulty in registering the sensor's ID code in the car's electronics may be an indication that the technician is trying to enter the code in decimal format. I see indications that Toyota systems use hexadecimal format and will not accept decimal entries.
Old 10-29-16, 10:39 PM
LS2k
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jmcraney
The difficulty in registering the sensor's ID code in the car's electronics may be an indication that the technician is trying to enter the code in decimal format. I see indications that Toyota systems use hexadecimal format and will not accept decimal entries.
Thanks but the 2013 IDs i tried to register are in hexadecimal (like 036F2B3) which is the way they showed up when they were scan from the tool. So it seems that i won't be able to reprogram the OEM 2013 tpms with the IDs from the 2007 tpms then. Weird that 2013 tpms won't work on 2007 model if the part# are the same.
Can someone point me to the 2007 tpms that will fit a 2013 Fsport wheel? As an alternative option where can you order the Tpms aleady programed by providing your current tpms ids?

Last edited by LS2k; 11-12-16 at 12:29 PM. Reason: Ls2k
Old 10-30-16, 05:53 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Thanks but the 2013 IDs i tried to register are in hexadecimal (like 036F2B3) which is the way they showed up when they were scan from the tool. So it seems that i won't be able to reprogram the OEM 2013 tpms with the IDs from the 2007 tpms then. Weird that 2013 tpms won't work on 2007 model if the part# are the same.
Can someone point me to the 2007 tpms that will fit a 2013 Fsport wheel? As an alternative option where can you order the Tpms aleady programed by providing your current tpms ids?
you can look up the tpms number on the densoparts website. Then buy the tool to program your ecu and the Denso tpms's from Amazon. The tpms will not power up until installed and the tire is inflated.

There are a thousand ways to do this, but only one that I know works. Maybe your tire shop will install them at a Discount because they don't have to remove the tire from the rim
Old 10-30-16, 06:18 AM
jmcraney

Well, you are the guy in the arena and I am operating from afar. You have access to a lot more information about your problem than I do.

You have told us several times that you are unable to register one of your sensor IDs in the car's electronics. You cited the ID of the sensor that is giving you a problem and it seems to have the correct number of characters (7) and is obviously hexadecimal. That causes me to wonder if your technique or electronic tool is the reason for your difficulty.

You may have some success by acquiring a sensor with a custom ID that matches the ID that is stored in your car, but that is sort of like doing a tonsillectomy through the navel.

We have not had a single report in this forum, that I can remember, about difficulties like you have described since this LS460/600 section began 10 years ago.

The only thing that I can suggest is to review your technique and tool setup.

Quick Reply: '13 TPMS on '07?