LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2010 LS460 Sport with low mileage - should I bite?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-16, 11:44 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

Just came across this posting totally randomly for a 2010 Fsport 93K miles for 23K. Check it out if you are interested.

http://www.importautobrokers.com/det...-15535167.html
Old 10-25-16, 12:22 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

��

I bought mine with 78K on the meter for 26K early this year when it was one model year less old...

23 for 93 doesn't sound so hot.
Old 11-02-16, 08:28 AM
one wolf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So far I am in love with this car. So glad I upgraded. I barely miss the IS at all. I will say the ML in the IS sounded a lot better, at least in the front seats. The LS is missing some surround speakers up front IMO. Back seat actually sounds a lot better with the door speakers above the floor.

Question: I kept my old wallet key fob from my IS under the understanding that the Lexus dealer could reprogram it to work with my LS. But my local dealer says they can't do that - they didn't even ask what model/year Lexus cars I am switching from and to - they just said "sorry no you have to buy new FOBs - programmed that's $244/FOB." Does this sound right? My old FOB can never be reprogrammed to work with another car other than the IS350 that it was initially programmed for?
Old 11-02-16, 06:25 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

There are 19 speakers in the LS ML system. Does your LS have ML? If so, then there is something that must be amiss. The LS ML system has come in the top or top 3 of all factory system tests I've seen. Some publications have even said it exceeded the sound of some "elite" home systems.The IS would not even come close.

Glad you're happy with your car. These vehicles really are the bomb. I've owned around 20 cars in my time and this one exceeds all of them by a long shot.
Old 11-03-16, 07:36 AM
one wolf
Driver School Candidate

My IS had the ML also. 19 speakers. I get it. It's just that in this LS, they are missing 2 of the 19 from the door up in the vicinity of my head. My IS had a couple of tweeters up right behind my ear facing in and very slightly forward. In the LS the only door speaker in front is down by my feet. It sounds incredible, don't get me wrong. But it just feels like 75% of the sound is coming from the center of the dash with very little stereo separation. All in all I'm not complaining - more of an observation. The IS had a surround element that the LS does not. And I'm not talking about the "Surround" sound setting - I understand that option very well. And I'm playing high fidelity audio, same as I used to play in my IS. Again not complaining, just wish there was a bit more surround of my deafening rock and roll.

I'm still curious as to why Johnson Lexus tells me they can't reprogram my old IS Key FOBS for this car. I think they just want to force me to buy new ones. I will try searching this forum a bit more.
Old 11-03-16, 07:49 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by one wolf
My IS had the ML also. 19 speakers. I get it. It's just that in this LS, they are missing 2 of the 19 from the door up in the vicinity of my head. My IS had a couple of tweeters up right behind my ear facing in and very slightly forward. In the LS the only door speaker in front is down by my feet. It sounds incredible, don't get me wrong. But it just feels like 75% of the sound is coming from the center of the dash with very little stereo separation. All in all I'm not complaining - more of an observation. The IS had a surround element that the LS does not. And I'm not talking about the "Surround" sound setting - I understand that option very well. And I'm playing high fidelity audio, same as I used to play in my IS. Again not complaining, just wish there was a bit more surround of my deafening rock and roll.

I'm still curious as to why Johnson Lexus tells me they can't reprogram my old IS Key FOBS for this car. I think they just want to force me to buy new ones. I will try searching this forum a bit more.
Correct me if im wrong, but there are smaller speakers in the door further forward on the wood trim panel. Tweeters I believe.
I will say this though, last year when I had a newer ES as a loaner, the surround sound was awesome and I wondered what I could do to get my LS to sound like that. And by "like that" I mean literally feeling like there was sound everywhere. I spoke with another member here and he told me that if you sit in the rear seats, you are able to obtain more of that surround sound effect, but not as much in the front because A. the LS is larger and B. He and I both have the L model, hence more space to fill.
Still, a very quality sound system.
Old 11-03-16, 08:33 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

Totally uninformed opinion here, but maybe the key fobs for the IS and LS use different frequency modes or other technical parameters that prevents reprogramming of your IS fob for the LS. Call a local auto locksmith and see whether they can reprogram the fob. When I had to get a new key fob a few months ago, I saved nearly 200 bucks by getting an OEM key fob with programming and mechanical key from an independent auto locksmith.
Old 11-03-16, 08:49 AM
one wolf
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by comotiger
Totally uninformed opinion here, but maybe the key fobs for the IS and LS use different frequency modes or other technical parameters that prevents reprogramming of your IS fob for the LS. Call a local auto locksmith and see whether they can reprogram the fob. When I had to get a new key fob a few months ago, I saved nearly 200 bucks by getting an OEM key fob with programming and mechanical key from an independent auto locksmith.
Perhaps, although they didn't even ask my what models or years my fobs or cars were.
Old 11-03-16, 09:37 AM
seanl
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

So far I am in love with this car. So glad I upgraded. I barely miss the IS at all. I will say the ML in the IS sounded a lot better, at least in the front seats. The LS is missing some surround speakers up front IMO. Back seat actually sounds a lot better with the door speakers above the floor.

Question: I kept my old wallet key fob from my IS under the understanding that the Lexus dealer could reprogram it to work with my LS. But my local dealer says they can't do that - they didn't even ask what model/year Lexus cars I am switching from and to - they just said "sorry no you have to buy new FOBs - programmed that's $244/FOB." Does this sound right? My old FOB can never be reprogrammed to work with another car other than the IS350 that it was initially programmed for?
Other than your concern with the LS's ML sound system, what else could you possibly miss about the IS? Unless you were driving as a 'sporty car', the LS a whole 'nother level.

My only gripe with the ML in the LS460 is that it could be a little louder...but hey, I'm coming out of a 97 LS400 so I got no room to complain!
Old 11-03-16, 10:19 AM
one wolf
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by seanl
Other than your concern with the LS's ML sound system, what else could you possibly miss about the IS? Unless you were driving as a 'sporty car', the LS a whole 'nother level.
Not much honestly, only the sportiness. The IS handles like it's on rails, and on the occasions where I was able to exercise that, I enjoyed it. Unfortunately for some of the people who live in my area, those occasions were in heavy traffic. ;-)

My only gripe with the ML in the LS460 is that it could be a little louder...but hey, I'm coming out of a 97 LS400 so I got no room to complain!
Yes it could be louder also. But I'm also not complaining.

The ML definitely drowns out the supposed air noise that I've only read about but never actually heard.
Old 11-04-16, 02:09 PM
iJDMTOY
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thats super low milage for a 2010 LS460. I think if all checks out and you can't seem to find anything majorly wrong with the car and you really want it, I think you should get it!
Old 11-06-16, 11:10 AM
tallcaguy
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 54 Posts

I'm a 430 owner so probably not much help. Own a Sport. Big difference in drivability and very little difference in comfort. Rev matching sounds great. Have to pick my manual downshifts carefully. Drove a '12 460 the other day. Very nice.
Old 11-06-16, 11:14 AM
seanl
Intermediate

Honestly guys, how many of you are actually using the paddle shifters? I think I tried them once, since this is my first car with paddles. They work. Now I just leave it in drive and go about my business in quiet comfort. If I feel the need to shift manually, I have a 3 pedal 6-speed in my garage that covers the fun.
Old 11-06-16, 12:55 PM
Scrutator
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by seanl
Honestly guys, how many of you are actually using the paddle shifters? I think I tried them once, since this is my first car with paddles. They work. Now I just leave it in drive and go about my business in quiet comfort. If I feel the need to shift manually, I have a 3 pedal 6-speed in my garage that covers the fun.
I rarely use the paddles around town; however, I use them daily for engine braking when going down the hills near my house. I also regularly use them when driving on the mountain highway in conjunction with the Sport modes.
Old 11-06-16, 02:06 PM
seanl
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Scrutator
I rarely use the paddles around town; however, I use them daily for engine braking when going down the hills near my house. I also regularly use them when driving on the mountain highway in conjunction with the Sport modes.
fair enough...that's the intended use case for sure.

I do recognize that we all drive our 460s differently...

Quick Reply: 2010 LS460 Sport with low mileage - should I bite?