LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Slight driveline vibration?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-16, 07:54 AM
KKRlexus
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Slight driveline vibration?

I just got my 09' LS460L RWD a couple of weeks ago. It has about 74,700 miles. And now after the "honeymoon" period is over I am noticing a slight vibration from both the steering wheel & seats while accelerating at any speed. Its like a slight gritty humming vibration everytime I accelerate and I see the Tach needle move past 1800 rpm, almost as if the drivetrain vibrations are being directly transmitted into the cabin. I do not really feel it if I am in neutral and I rev the engine. But, during driving at local street speeds, if I feather the gas pedal to coast around 30mph or so it feels smoother. I've done research on here but I keep getting info for the AWD issue. According to the service history from the "Lexus Drivers" site, the Brake Actuator, Front Upper & Lower Control Arms, Battery & Alternator has been replaced within the last 2 years. But I do not see that the Spark Plugs were changed. Coming from a 99' GS400 I thought this LS would be smoother.
Any thoughts as to what this might be?

Last edited by KKRlexus; 09-22-16 at 08:12 AM.
Old 09-22-16, 09:13 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Potentially could be the guibo joint(s)...front or rear or both. I'd start there.
Old 09-22-16, 10:32 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by KKRlexus
I just got my 09' LS460L RWD a couple of weeks ago. It has about 74,700 miles. And now after the "honeymoon" period is over I am noticing a slight vibration from both the steering wheel & seats while accelerating at any speed. Its like a slight gritty humming vibration everytime I accelerate and I see the Tach needle move past 1800 rpm, almost as if the drivetrain vibrations are being directly transmitted into the cabin. I do not really feel it if I am in neutral and I rev the engine. But, during driving at local street speeds, if I feather the gas pedal to coast around 30mph or so it feels smoother. I've done research on here but I keep getting info for the AWD issue. According to the service history from the "Lexus Drivers" site, the Brake Actuator, Front Upper & Lower Control Arms, Battery & Alternator has been replaced within the last 2 years. But I do not see that the Spark Plugs were changed. Coming from a 99' GS400 I thought this LS would be smoother.
Any thoughts as to what this might be?
Did you purchase this car from a dealer and/or have a warranty?
Old 09-22-16, 10:39 AM
KKRlexus
Driver

Originally Posted by superdenso
Did you purchase this car from a dealer and/or have a warranty?
I purchased from a dealer with a 2 year AllState Extended Warranty
Old 09-22-16, 11:24 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by KKRlexus
I purchased from a dealer with a 2 year AllState Extended Warranty
If the service history is at a local dealership, it may be time to make acquaintances. If not you can begin your search. Bridgewater Lexus has decent reviews on yelp.
Old 09-22-16, 12:04 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

And it's pretty darn east to check the guibos. They aren't covered. Just look for any tearing or deterioration.
Old 09-22-16, 12:07 PM
KKRlexus
Driver

Originally Posted by roadfrog
And it's pretty darn east to check the guibos. They aren't covered. Just look for any tearing or deterioration.
Will do, thanks
Old 09-22-16, 12:46 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I learned something today. Guibo?? Giubo?? I had to look it up (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giubo). Thanks, roadfrog

BTW, the top hits for giubo replacement were all in BMWs. Now I know why roadfrog knew about this issue rightaway

Old 09-22-16, 02:02 PM
KKRlexus
Driver

There's a wealth of knowledgeable people on here. I've learned lots. I Love This Site!
Old 09-22-16, 02:09 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

BTW, the top hits for giubo replacement were all in BMWs. Now I know why roadfrog knew about this issue rightaway
And my therapy sessions because of that ^&*%'ing BMW continue....lol

Good news is that the Giubo joints in the LS are easier to do than the Beemer. I know....shocking.
Old 10-10-16, 07:45 AM
KKRlexus
Driver

So the dealer said that the engine & tranny mounts look good and the drive shaft and said that the mounts don't go bad on these cars so early. They also drove another similar LS in their shop and they said that it had the same vibration. Plus the service adviser talked to a "regional guy" for Lexus and he said that that is normal for the car's mileage/age. But I find it hard to believe that the driveline vibration while driving is "normal". Especially when I read that other guy's experience "butter-smooth rides" with their 460L. I am thinking that the service tech did not thoroughly check those mounts and drive shaft.
Would the mounts appear good but only upon removal u see that it is actually bad?
Old 10-10-16, 10:01 PM
2v1g
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I feel my driver seat vibrate a tiny bit when idle. Like drivetrain vibration is transferred a Little bit to the seat only while idling. Is this easy to fix? It is not big deal but my 430 drive cabin feel absolutely no vibration
Old 10-11-16, 08:25 AM
KKRlexus
Driver

Originally Posted by 2v1g
I feel my driver seat vibrate a tiny bit when idle. Like drivetrain vibration is transferred a Little bit to the seat only while idling. Is this easy to fix? It is not big deal but my 430 drive cabin feel absolutely no vibration
Well from what I've read on here, if that vibration happens when your in gear and stopped, then turning on a accessory like a seat heater would help alleviate that as the RPM would increase.
Old 10-11-16, 08:48 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Even though this is a Lexus, and maybe it's just me, there's a certain amount in ... I don't know ... "imperfection" that people choose to deal with. I don't blame you KKRlexus for noticing this. But this could be from a few different sources. My opinion might be a bit skewed to the dark side because all the rest of my vehicles are very ... rough around the edges. And I sort of like them that way. I've got an old Cummins powered Dodge Ram that I use most weekends. And that thing is like riding in a Sherman Tank. So, heck, my LS might be doing all kind of stuff you guys cars do not. But I don't notice and/or pay any attention because compared to my other vehicles, riding in the LS is like eating cookie dough versus eating dog food. All this to say, I think if I were you, I continue monitoring this and see if it changes or becomes easier to isolate and figure out.

Actually, I feel my exhaust a little bit in my car with the Exhaust Vents mounted ... BUT I LIKE IT!
Old 10-11-16, 09:08 AM
teedub21
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 2v1g
Mine does this as well when I have the AC off, which is rare. Mostly nice mild days I'll turn off the AC and just get fresh air. When the climate control is set to "auto" and the AC compressor is running the car idles smooth as glass.

Quick Reply: Slight driveline vibration?