LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Radar Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-16, 07:28 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Radar Cruise Control

On Friday night, the weather turned nasty on I-35 N in Iowa. My DRCC was engaged (78 mph) and working fine until the skies opened up and the rain became very intense, but the car was driving steady with no issues. Suddenly, the car slowed down and I noticed the dreaded yellow warning triangle was lit. Within a couple of seconds, I realized the DRCC had disengaged automatically. The warning light went off when I turned off cruise control. I reasoned that the intense rain had confused the DRCC system, causing it to disengage. Over the next 30 min, the rain subsided greatly, but there was still a mild drizzle, very wet roads, and much spray and mist from other vehicles. Surprisingly, I could turn on cruise control but it would disengage within several seconds. I am pretty sure this is due to the radar signals not behaving normally under these conditions. DRCC functioned fine on the drive home yesterday.

I don't think standard cruise control would disengage automatically under such conditions. Or would input from stability and traction control systems disengage cruise control?
Old 09-12-16, 07:47 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I've never had standard cruise disengage and I've driven in every type of weather imaginable. It works in excess of 120mph too. haha
Old 09-12-16, 07:49 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

I haven't had an 'opportunity' for radar cruise to disengage itself . However, on the manual it says not to use during snow / rainy days among other few exclusions. That's one of the main reason radar cruise wasn't offered in NE region in the past. Things might have changed now.

Standard cruise wouldn't disengage in such conditions.
Old 09-12-16, 07:57 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Anything that can "cloud the sight" of the sensor behind the front "L" will deactivate the system. I have had it happen once or twice in heavy rain. On treated roads in winter, I imagine the problem would be much worse, but I don't take the car out on that stuff :-)

Regular cruise doesn't disengage under the same conditions, as others pointed out, as it's not "looking" at anything. However, it will disengage if your traction control kicks in multiple times and under some other unique circumstances I can't remember (but have read somewhere).
Old 09-12-16, 08:05 AM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

This is normal, have experienced it couple of times in moderate to heavy rain.

You also have the option to use regular cruise and bypass the radar. This will not disengage.
Old 09-12-16, 08:11 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by hfahmy
This is normal, have experienced it couple of times in moderate to heavy rain.

You also have the option to use regular cruise and bypass the radar. This will not disengage.
Really? How do you do that? As soon as I turn on the CC button, the system says "Ready". When I set the speed by pushing down on the stalk, CC is engaged, and I see the car displayed with the radar distance setting on Max. I can then push the DRCC button to cycle thru the distance to shorter lengths, but it doesn't turn off.
Old 09-12-16, 10:24 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
Really? How do you do that? As soon as I turn on the CC button, the system says "Ready". When I set the speed by pushing down on the stalk, CC is engaged, and I see the car displayed with the radar distance setting on Max. I can then push the DRCC button to cycle thru the distance to shorter lengths, but it doesn't turn off.
Push the lever away from you.
Old 09-12-16, 10:47 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Straight from the horse's writings...

Originally Posted by comotiger
Relevant page from the Owner's Manual...

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
DRCC.pdf (30.8 KB, 378 views)
Old 09-12-16, 11:58 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Thanks, y'all, I will try that next time. I guess it pays to read the Owner's Manual from cover to cover
Old 09-12-16, 12:00 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by caha14
Anything that can "cloud the sight" of the sensor behind the front "L" will deactivate the system. I have had it happen once or twice in heavy rain. On treated roads in winter, I imagine the problem would be much worse, but I don't take the car out on that stuff :-)

Regular cruise doesn't disengage under the same conditions, as others pointed out, as it's not "looking" at anything. However, it will disengage if your traction control kicks in multiple times and under some other unique circumstances I can't remember (but have read somewhere).
so you don't hydroplane.
Old 09-12-16, 12:20 PM
sapstar66
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I confirm all of the previous as well... went through the issue several times.

But do not use the regular cruise in that weather... if it's not good the electronic way, it's certainly not good the human way as well...
Old 09-12-16, 04:23 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

All cars equipped with Cruise Control come with a warning not to use this feature in conditions where the drive wheels might lose traction with the road surface, such as wet, icy, snow covered or loose gravel. Cruise control is automatically canceled if the VSC or TRAC is activated.
Old 09-12-16, 04:36 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

When I am driving my Legacy or Sienna in inclement weather, I can feel and hear the buffeting, the rain and wind noise, and turn off cruise control. In the 460, everything was rock-steady and serene even with the heavy rain that I didn't notice the need to disengage cruise control until the sensors turned it off. I guess the e-nanny was looking out for me and the family
Old 09-12-16, 08:46 PM
aypues
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

I have an 04 LS with radar cruise and I've had it turn off only twice. Once was when I was driving home to San Diego from Phoenix thru the desert and the sensor got covered with bugs. lol.
The second time was in very heavy rain. Wasn't safe to be driving on cruise anyway.