LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Firearm Holster

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-16, 10:59 AM
tcarroll2
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Firearm Holster

I was reading this thread (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc4...-or-mount.html) because I have been thinking about a way to mount a pistol holster in my car on the side of the console (it woud be between my right leg and the console) for when I am making long drives.

I'm a CCW holder and I frequently travel through multiple states (all have reciprocal agreements with my home state) and it can become quite uncomfortable having a pistol concealed in the small of your back, pocket, or waist, and I don't want to put the gun in the console, glove box, or somewhere else unsecured or not easily reached. I figure having a holster mounted right below the push to start button on the side of the console would be out of the way, night easily visible from outside the car, and yet conveniently within reach to me as well as visual reminder to not leave it in the vehicle.

I don't plan to ever leave the weapon in my car unattended, not even while pumping gas, I just want to be able store it someplace while driving for a long period and yet within reach and visible to me.

Has anyone else done this, or something similar? If so, can you tell me what you did?

Please don't turn this into a political rant of the pros and cons of concealed carry, save that for another forum. I just want to know about modding my car to safely holstering/storing a pistol while traveling.
Old 08-12-16, 11:45 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I would strongly advise not removing the weapon from your person. Keeping it in an attached holster, or console, or glovebox,or under the seat allows the opportunity to forget it there. I know most of us say we wouldn't forget, but how many times just this year has the news featured stories of parents who have forgotten their own kids in the car, or school bus drivers forgetting a kid?

i don't know what you are carrying, but for these trips I would simply carry a smaller caliber weapon such as a .380 that will be more comfortable on your person.
Old 08-12-16, 12:56 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

How about the map pocket in the driver door panel? It is out of reach of everyone else, and readily visible when you exit the car.
Old 08-12-16, 02:25 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Shotgun mount in backseat works better!
Old 08-12-16, 02:44 PM
NateJG
Lead Lap

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

https://www.gungoddess.com/stick-on-holster/

Last edited by NateJG; 08-13-16 at 06:18 PM.
Old 08-12-16, 03:01 PM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

http://www.texascustomholsters.com/

http://www.gumcreekcustoms.com/Vehicle-Accessories-c2/
Old 08-12-16, 06:12 PM
seanl
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Unfortunately I cannot participate in this thread as I live in California. I tried to order 2 folding knives from Midway USA and they won't ship to SF. ditto for ammo.

On topic, I love my handmade Heinie black leather Gov't T/B OWB holster. Of course it's unworn, still NIB

If I ever have to wear it, I'll have bigger problems on my hands than Club Lexus ;-)

Last edited by seanl; 08-13-16 at 09:46 AM.
Old 08-13-16, 05:32 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I just travelled from Ma to Texas last night with my Glock 27. I took it off my hip and placed it in the holster on the floor under my legs.I can grab it quickly if need be, and I can easily grab it to take with me. I wouldn't damage the center console personally.
Old 08-13-16, 06:08 AM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by seanl
Unfortunately I cannot participate in this thread as I live in California. I tried to order 2 folding knives from Midway USA and they won't ship to SF. ditto for ammo.

On topic, I love my Heinie black leather Gov't T/B OWB holster. Of course it's unworn, still NIB

If I ever have to wear it, I'll have bigger problems on my hands than Club Lexus ;-)
It might be cheaper to buy a shack in a more lenient county and get a CA permit from sheriff than it would be to buy your way into one from your local yokels.
Old 08-13-16, 08:37 AM
cerbum
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
I know most of us say we wouldn't forget, but how many times just this year has the news featured stories of parents who have forgotten their own kids in the car, or school bus drivers forgetting a kid?
How many posts until the inevitable "I'll forget my kid before I forget my gun" commentary begins.

I like the above mentioned idea of putting into the map pocket of the drivers door. Mount a holster in there, or even potentially create a foam cradle for it. Almost entirely out of site except for the driver accessing it and if you didn't know it was there, you'd never find it. That would almost entirely remove the opportunity for a passenger to grab it.

-cerbum
Old 08-13-16, 09:43 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by cerbum
How many posts until the inevitable "I'll forget my kid before I forget my gun" commentary begins.
It just started.

All good suggestions! I do not suggest "customizing" any part of the interior that can't be easily returned to original. My choice is a to have a small Sig or Walther .380 and keep it on my body....... Ankle holster would be great for driving and getting out of the car at gas pumps, rest stops, etc.

Basic firearm rule: Better to have one and NOT need it VS. Needing one and NOT having it.
Old 08-13-16, 09:48 AM
seanl
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuckinnj
Basic firearm rule: Better to have one and NOT need it VS. Needing one and NOT having it.
because you never need a gun until you REALLY needs a gun!
Old 08-13-16, 11:12 AM
realkrs
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd think that if you remove any metal belt mounting device from a cheap nylon holster it'd be an easy thing to attach the holster anyplace you like either permanently with rivets or temporarily with velcro, but for me it's been enough to stick the muzzle into the crack between the seat and console. As long as the pistol isn't one with thumb safeties which might be released either going in or coming out there shouldn't be an additional danger.

There might be a distinct danger though if you consider the legalities in your state. In some states a big difference exists between the permissions allowed by a CCP and the restrictions upon carrying loaded firearms in a vehicle. The laws developed to restrict driver availability of weapons while driving came before most states began granting qualified applicants concealed carry permits. The former might make access to a loaded weapon quite difficult (as California's do) while the latter allows easy and quick availability of that same loaded weapon. It would be prudent to be certain that your state's concealed carry laws allowing the carrying of a weapon concealed upon one's person also allow carry OFF that person while in a car or other conveyance. The scenario may present a criminal quagmire for someone not clear on the differences between the one and the other.
Old 08-14-16, 12:17 PM
Lynzoid
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Keep your firearm on your person at all times. Basic safety.
I remember similar thread somewhere, about mounting a holster in the car. Ended badly.
Old 08-15-16, 07:17 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Lynzoid
Keep your firearm on your person at all times. Basic safety.
I remember similar thread somewhere, about mounting a holster in the car. Ended badly.
Absolutely.

Talk about forgetting stuff, this just happened Saturday and reported in the local news.

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2016/08/13/methuen-grandmother-locked-inside-dialysis-clinic/

Quick Reply: Firearm Holster