LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Cross Country Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-16, 04:29 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well, the most important step is to research what YOUR car is worth before it was totaled. Research like cars, with similar miles for sale. Research KBB and other online tools as well for an equivalent vehicle, retail.

Also make sure you try and obtain estimated taxes and registration fees on any replacement car and tell the insurance company about that. That should be included as well when an insurance company totals a car. People often neglect that, but if you replace the vehicle, you will undoubtedly have to pay for those things and they should reimburse you for that.

If you decide to upgrade, I think they'll reimburse taxes and title on an equivalent model only, but you can still use that to get something newer.
Old 08-18-16, 08:30 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Ouch sorry to hear..

At least it happened somewhere fun! Grab a drink and relax!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 08-18-16, 09:53 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Thats rough. We made it to Seattle this week and only close call i had a was 2 deer that jumped out right in front. Had to break hard and was a close call. Head back to Kansas tomorrow with stops again in Montana and Wyoming.
Old 08-19-16, 08:51 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Well, we have continued the journey. We are in California and heading up to San Fran today. We rented a Chevy Impala and continued. I am distraught but can't let it ruin the trip.

The impala sucks. hahaha I think pretty much everything would suck right now but oh well. I have to deal with it.

Looking up my car value yesterday, it looks like it is around $16-17k so I doubt it will be totaled. If it is, I am going to buy a used 430 they have on the lot in Vegas and drive that home unless I can find something else just to make the trip home. Who knows maybe I'll get into something newer. But I really think they will be able to fix it based on the price of my car. We'll see.

So I'll keep posting pics, but the LS sadly won't be in them.
Old 08-19-16, 11:03 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

I gotta ask, how big was this curb you hit? Sounds like an awful lot of damage.
Old 08-19-16, 03:30 PM
CarGuy89
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh man! I was really enjoying your trip and liked your stories and pics. Sorry to hear about the 460, but glad you decided to finish your trip. Hope you have a safe, uneventful rest of the trip and hope that LS gets fixed to OEM perfection when you get back. Safe travels!
Old 08-19-16, 09:12 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Well the curb was quite high and I hit it pretty hard. Apparently hard enough to total the LS. Got the call from the insurance company today. The damages were over $11k from the dealer. I understand someone else may have been able to do it cheaper, but it was the only place we could get to with the car in the condition it was in. To be honest, I'm actually glad it is a complete loss rather than repair it and have possible issues. Oh well. Guess it's time for a newer LS.

Heading into San Francisco tomorrow. Drove up the coast on Route 1 today near Monterey. The car watching was absolutely unreal. I saw the following cars in a 2 mile radius. 2 RR Phantoms, a Wraith, 2 Ferrari 458, 488, a Porsche 918, 4 older NSX's and a brand new one. The new one was being filmed by a Porsche Cayenne with a camera boom on it. It was pretty cool to see. They appeared to be shooting a commercial as the had a police detail, and went down the road and back over a bridge. Cool to see.

Also, apparently Death Valley is the place to test disguised vehicles. I saw at least 20-25 disguised vehicles at around 5:30pm driving thru Death Valley. Lots of BMW's, and I believe I even saw the new LS. It has the same god awful rear tails shown in other pics.

Last edited by greg3852; 08-19-16 at 11:06 PM.
Old 08-19-16, 10:28 PM
Dr. Jekyll
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Oh snap that's just terrible news! Sorry to hear that bud. And to be so far from home too!
Old 08-20-16, 12:11 AM
jfattibe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh Man !!! Absolutely bummed. So sorry about your loss You were having such a great time too. Glad to hear everyone's ok though.
Old 08-20-16, 03:48 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice! I think concours is happening now in Monterey, so it must have been pure car eye candy. Good timing.

Sorry about your car, but hey, you'll get something better out of it I'm sure. Let us know what you ultimately settle on.
Old 08-20-16, 06:23 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by greg3852
Well the curb was quite high and I hit it pretty hard. Apparently hard enough to total the LS. Got the call from the insurance company today. The damages were over $11k from the dealer. I understand someone else may have been able to do it cheaper, but it was the only place we could get to with the car in the condition it was in. To be honest, I'm actually glad it is a complete loss rather than repair it and have possible issues. Oh well. Guess it's time for a newer LS.

Heading into San Francisco tomorrow. Drove up the coast on Route 1 today near Monterey. The car watching was absolutely unreal. I saw the following cars in a 2 mile radius. 2 RR Phantoms, a Wraith, 2 Ferrari 458, 488, a Porsche 918, 4 older NSX's and a brand new one. The new one was being filmed by a Porsche Cayenne with a camera boom on it. It was pretty cool to see. They appeared to be shooting a commercial as the had a police detail, and went down the road and back over a bridge. Cool to see.

Also, apparently Death Valley is the place to test disguised vehicles. I saw at least 20-25 disguised vehicles at around 5:30pm driving thru Death Valley. Lots of BMW's, and I believe I even saw the new LS. It has the same god awful rear tails shown in other pics.

Don't you wish you could have hopped into this beauty and driven away?
Old 08-20-16, 06:46 AM
hypervish
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

That stinks, sorry to hear they totaled it.
Old 08-20-16, 09:44 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

It was funny, as we were driving through I kept thinking look at all these Bentleys. These must be the people who work here for the rich people. lol. They were like the poor mans car here.

Almost forgot the Mclaren MP4-12C I saw. Love those cars.

I am pretty sure I'm going to be back in another LS. Everytime I think I want something faster or something with more gadgets, I come right back to reliability. I like to be able to just hop in the car and go. We decided on a Thursday night to leave Friday morning for this road trip. 83k miles on the car and didn't worry about a thing. I need that.

I'm also torn between what years to get. I love my 07 for the audio in it. I also know the 12's have the least issues out of the old style. Not sure I like the 13+ grille. So I don't know yet. I'm actively looking but it seems all the ones out there don't have many options. I am getting radar cruise this time and would like LKA as well but that's not a deal breaker. I wouldn't mind an L but don't really need it.
Old 08-20-16, 11:16 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 292 Likes on 251 Posts

I am pretty sure I'm going to be back in another LS. Everytime I think I want something faster or something with more gadgets, I come right back to reliability. I like to be able to just hop in the car and go. We decided on a Thursday night to leave Friday morning for this road trip. 83k miles on the car and didn't worry about a thing. I need that.
I'm also torn between what years to get. I love my 07 for the audio in it. I also know the 12's have the least issues out of the old style. Not sure I like the 13+ grille. So I don't know yet. I'm actively looking but it seems all the ones out there don't have many options. I am getting radar cruise this time and would like LKA as well but that's not a deal breaker. I wouldn't mind an L but don't really need it.
While unexpected, this may be a good time to upgrade. Dealers are offering big discounts, so prices for all model years may be creeping downward. I can tell you that DRCC and LKA are both great features for freeway driving. The LKA feels at times a bit nannyish, but I am glad to have it, especially when tired or distracted. Getting these features on a 2010-2012 car would be very tough unless you opt for a 600hL. I have seen several 2013-2014 cars with these features in the past two months in the 45-60K range. Safe travels!
Old 08-20-16, 11:23 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

It was funny, as we were driving through I kept thinking look at all these Bentleys. These must be the people who work here for the rich people. lol. They were like the poor mans car here.

Almost forgot the Mclaren MP4-12C I saw. Love those cars.

Sorry to hear about the curb incident. I'm glad no one was hurt, just the LS.

it's been a while since I looked, but in the 2007 - 2012 MY range, I found that the DRCC was most common in the LWB. In the SWB, it was much rarer. If you like the semi-aniline leather as well, IIRC I found one SWB that had both options, and a fair number of LWB's (mostly 2007 - 2009) that had them. Best of luck in your search!

Quick Reply: Cross Country Road Trip