LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

DIY Instrument Cluster Dashboard Removal

Old 08-07-16, 07:37 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

That's a lot of work to cover that light. May I ask why you just didn't neatly tape over it from the outside, over the clear plastic?

I know it probably wouldn't look as nice, but at least it would have only taken two mins and you can yank it off at will.
Old 08-07-16, 08:03 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
That's a lot of work to cover that light. May I ask why you just didn't neatly tape over it from the outside, over the clear plastic?

Cuz that's NOT how he rolls! LOL

This just seems like so much more work than replacing a 20 dollar part that screws into your exhaust and can be done in less than a half hour.. That and the possibility of introducing a new squeak or two in the dash.
Old 08-08-16, 03:44 AM
Batmobile
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
The electrical tape goes on the outside of the instrument cluster. 10 second job.
Originally Posted by Rhambler

I know it probably wouldn't look as nice, but at least it would have only taken two mins and you can yank it off at will.
Hmmm.. i thought you guys were trolling me with the black tape comments on the outside.... I'm going to use the comment made earlier... because it's not a civic. LoL

If we are being serious....I didn't put tape on the outside because i wouldn't know how to neatly do it without looking ghetto... and i think it would look silly to your passenger... when they can see the light and ask you what's wrong with your car... and you go into your "it's just an o2 related sensor" talk track... then follow up with but don't worry... i can't see it from my side........................................

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Cuz that's NOT how he rolls! LOL

This just seems like so much more work than replacing a 20 dollar part that screws into your exhaust and can be done in less than a half hour.. That and the possibility of introducing a new squeak or two in the dash.
LoL.... yeah.... but..... that's not how i roll..........
Old 08-08-16, 04:15 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well, while not as clean looking I'm sure, it's a heck of lot more pragmatic and definitely much more simpler.

Just imagine if you do eventually get the O2 fixed, you'll have to repeat the procedure all over again, unless you want that light permanently blanked.

But, still an impressive feat and definitely nice of you to share the experience.
Old 08-08-16, 05:12 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Do you live in an area that does not require enhanced emissions testing? They require the light to go on then off when the car starts in some areas. California big cities for sure. Also any codes gets you a fail. In Colorado big cities when the program started with dyno testing the light had to perform. After a few years they dropped the light rule if you passed the tailpipe test you passed. Now with 2005 or newer they don't dyno anymore just plug into obd2 and pass you with no codes, but the light has to turn on then off when the car is started.
I'm perfectly fine with defeating the light. Imagine how much pollution Obama puts out flying to his next golf vacation or rally to talk about climate change.

Last edited by Kennyr44; 08-08-16 at 05:25 AM.
Old 08-08-16, 05:48 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
Do you live in an area that does not require enhanced emissions testing? They require the light to go on then off when the car starts in some areas. California big cities for sure. Also any codes gets you a fail. In Colorado big cities when the program started with dyno testing the light had to perform. After a few years they dropped the light rule if you passed the tailpipe test you passed. Now with 2005 or newer they don't dyno anymore just plug into obd2 and pass you with no codes, but the light has to turn on then off when the car is started.
I'm perfectly fine with defeating the light. Imagine how much pollution Obama puts out flying to his next golf vacation or rally to talk about climate change.
More and more cities/provinces are dropping emissions testing as its widely seen as a "cash grab". Few vehicles are emitting above standard anymore. Greater Vancouver (pop of nearly 3 million) dropped testing last year, realizing that cars over the last many years just don't pollute anymore.
Old 08-08-16, 12:13 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
More and more cities/provinces are dropping emissions testing as its widely seen as a "cash grab". Few vehicles are emitting above standard anymore. Greater Vancouver (pop of nearly 3 million) dropped testing last year, realizing that cars over the last many years just don't pollute anymore.
Wow, I didn't realize that, is that happening in the U.S.? In my area I believe a car doesn't have to pass an emission test if it is 15 years old...could be wrong, it may be 20.
Old 08-09-16, 09:35 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Wow, I didn't realize that, is that happening in the U.S.? In my area I believe a car doesn't have to pass an emission test if it is 15 years old...could be wrong, it may be 20.
Yep. Ontario is now the only province in Canada that has mandatory emissions testing.
Old 01-30-17, 12:34 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

I need an adult.

Thank you for this. I feel slightly better about tearing into the dash to replace the turn indicator flasher.

Slightly

I'm already twitching at the thought of the squeaks and rattles I'm going to introduce.
Old 01-30-17, 10:56 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Keep up posted on how things turn out. Interesting.
Old 03-19-17, 09:55 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

I started taking the dash apart last Wednesday...then chickened out about four pieces in.

Once I saw how tightly these interior parts fit, and knowing how freakin' quiet this car is, I don't want to ruin it.
Old 05-08-17, 05:41 PM
lexfam01
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just want to remove the black plastic bezel in front of the cluster because my son scratched mine up and I purchased a replacement. The two plastic screws in the bezel that screw through the top into the dashboard just spin and do not come out. Any tips on out to get them out? They are phillips plastic screws with a plastic ring around the center phillips part. I try to take them out with no luck. Please help
Old 02-17-18, 08:17 AM
celynka
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Entire write up is pointless. Cluster removal does not require all that disassembly - just plain bezel removal. 2 clips on the top of the bezel - be aware these are not screws but screw type clips, and require very gentle screw out without prying forward. Start removing bezel from right bottom, than left -this one is tough and require bending of the bezel inward. This really takes 10 minutes to replace cluster and none of the things described here needs to be done!
Old 02-17-18, 01:57 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

He did say that it could be done in 10 minutes. Plus its not pointless for the simple fact that he supplied photos.

Last edited by sha4000; 02-19-18 at 03:35 PM.
Old 02-19-18, 05:36 AM
Vansibel
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Batmobile
P1084 engine code which I believe boils down to o2 sensors of sorts. Took to a lot of my standalone car shops and they all didn't want to touch my car because it's a hybrid... they said going to Lexus is going to cost a pretty penny just so that you can take the engine light off. for
Seems pretty close to what I got (P1083), my valve bank was stuck open, P1084 mean it's stuck close (possible causes seems the same): https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...and-p1083.html
Part is just a wire but inexplicably insanely expensive. If I recall correctly this wire is located under the car and installation should be as easy as unplug and plug. There is probably a way to test with a voltmeter if the sensor is bad and not sending signal.

This guy had the exact same code as you and repair cost was over 7000$ but I think might have been screwed by the dealer: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...n-ls600hl.html
This guy also had similar problem: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...s-600hl-5.html

Hope it give you some pointer to get your problem resolves. I'd start by testing sensor for sure, my fix was expensive (sensor is over 1000$ but could look for a used one and installation could be done by yourself) but not as near as replacing the whole exhaust system.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY Instrument Cluster Dashboard Removal