LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Headlight Ballast

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-16, 10:28 AM
jfattibe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Headlight Ballast

Hey guys. Been on the sidelines suckin up all useful information. After havin problems with my bulbs flickering then goin out. I replaced them with the oem ones and still the same thing, especially after I wash the car. I'm pretty sure the ballast is gettin wet. I ordered a new ballast and gonna replace it. My question is do I need to disconnect the battery ?? Im guess no, since there's no power goin to the ballasts with the light switch off ?? But wanted to ask you professionals before I do the job. Any info would be great!!
Old 07-11-16, 12:02 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

My experience in general has been that you don't have to but if you want to as a precaution it won't hurt.
Old 07-12-16, 07:11 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Agreed! I wouldn't hurt to disconnect the battery.
Old 07-13-16, 01:18 AM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

To replace the ballast, the headlight needs to be removed. Which means you need to remove the bumper.
No other way. Already done it myself
Old 07-13-16, 08:25 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Putt
To replace the ballast, the headlight needs to be removed. Which means you need to remove the bumper.
No other way. Already done it myself
Are you sure? I could have sworn that I was able to access the ballast via the wheel well.
Old 07-13-16, 02:06 PM
jfattibe
Driver

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Are you sure? I could have sworn that I was able to access the ballast via the wheel well.
rodfrog, I think you're thinking of the passenger's side, I saw it too but on the driver's side there's what looks like the windshield fluid tank and I couldn't see it.
Old 07-13-16, 06:55 PM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
You can see it from passenger side. Not sure if you would be able to remove it easily, as part of the AFS unit also needs to be removed to snake out the part that plugs into the HID bulb. After you take off the ballast, you need to remove part of the AFS mechanism that is above it, as it is almost impossible to get the plug past it.

For the OP, try doing it and you'll find out what I'm talking about
Old 07-14-16, 09:59 AM
jfattibe
Driver

Originally Posted by 1Putt
You can see it from passenger side. Not sure if you would be able to remove it easily, as part of the AFS unit also needs to be removed to snake out the part that plugs into the HID bulb. After you take off the ballast, you need to remove part of the AFS mechanism that is above it, as it is almost impossible to get the plug past it.

For the OP, try doing it and you'll find out what I'm talking about
That's where I'm at now. Took everything apart that was needed (mainly washer fluid tank) . Only needed to pop half of the bumper cover for access. Then I dropped the ballast and pulled out the plug now I'm tryin to get the new plug up into the channel. You're absolutely right, it's next to impossible. Don't know how I'm gonna do it ??? Please keep all suggestions comin !

Dissasembled !
Old 07-15-16, 12:25 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Thumbs up for taking on a job like that.
Old 07-16-16, 09:00 AM
jfattibe
Driver

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
Thumbs up for taking on a job like that.
Thanks ! Finally done. This is a tough job and you must have patience. The only way I could figure out how to feed the cord from the ballast up to the bulb was to attach a string to a metal coat hanger and feed it down from the bulb area then tie it around the cord and pull on it while trying to shove the plug past the AFS module. Here's a pic.

Old 07-19-16, 09:55 PM
Pachino
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

did this ever fix your head light issue? been going through the same issue with my headlights
Old 07-22-16, 12:40 PM
jfattibe
Driver

Originally Posted by Pachino
did this ever fix your head light issue? been going through the same issue with my headlights

Been running them constantly. Drivers side would go out immediately after I washed the car. They seem to be ok now !! Soaked the driver's side and not even a blink ! I did put silicone around the whole ballast before installing as they are not water proof. The passenger side bulb went out after 5 minutes of fire up once so I did replace both with oem bulbs that came with the car (Philips) and they seem fine. The bulbs that I had problems with were the ones from The Retrofit Source, which got great reviews ?????????? I did email them and they sent me a replacement set so I might take a chance and put them in next week ??
Old 07-23-16, 07:11 AM
Ears
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well... I guess this is in my future as well (ballast). End of life cycling and pink left bulb. More worrisome is a high-frequency buzz from the left when the lights are on. Replaced with Morimoto 5500 and lights are cool bright! however, buzz is still there and only the left side as before(faint, hard to hear if any ambient noise present). Too early to celebrate and... as luck would have it, one of the Nike lights decided to go tango-uniform!

Back to the stickie!
Old 07-23-16, 10:43 AM
jfattibe
Driver

Originally Posted by Ears
Well... I guess this is in my future as well (ballast). End of life cycling and pink left bulb. More worrisome is a high-frequency buzz from the left when the lights are on. Replaced with Morimoto 5500 and lights are cool bright! however, buzz is still there and only the left side as before(faint, hard to hear if any ambient noise present). Too early to celebrate and... as luck would have it, one of the Nike lights decided to go tango-uniform!

Back to the stickie!
Are sayin when you replaced with the Morimoto bulb the buzzing subsided ?? Are you still getting flickering ?
Old 07-23-16, 07:35 PM
Ears
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ears

Back to the stickie!
Originally Posted by jfattibe
Are sayin when you replaced with the Morimoto bulb the buzzing subsided ?? Are you still getting flickering ?
Never did get flickering... Bulb was pink when on, but would turn off at times until the switch was cycled... Yes, Buzz is still there, albeit faint. Otherwise, so far, so good.

Quick Reply: Headlight Ballast