LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Buying advice - Reliability on high mileage LS460

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-16, 12:15 PM
EricCZ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying advice - Reliability on high mileage LS460

I'm looking at purchasing a 2007 LS460L with 234,000 miles. It has every option except what I believe they call the "Executive Seating Package". i.e. no entertainment system and it's still a 5 passenger. Everyone seems to think that I'm crazy, but the vehicle seems to be in good shape considering its age and mileage. I looked at the service history and it looks like the owners kept up on all the maintenance. 20k miles ago the belt and water pump were replaced. The service history is 9 pages long and all the work (as far as I can tell) was done at the Lexus dealership. I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions. Does anyone have an LS with such high miles and are there any problem areas? Probably my biggest concerns would be the air suspension and the transmission.
Old 06-14-16, 12:44 PM
Littleguy
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts

If the price is right I wouldn't be afraid of the mileage, like you said I would worry about the air suspension too, but besides that as long as it was well maintained mechanically I don't see anything that would stand out.
Old 06-14-16, 01:10 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Perhaps you can tell us what's been done? I imagine if its been dealer maintained, it's been pretty well taken care of. Then again I never take my car to the dealer and it's been maintained meticulously.

It all depends on the price, like anything else, that is high mileage. And I guess it depends on what you plan on using the car for. Do you plan on driving it 30,000 miles a year? If so you may be on borrowed time and you had better put some money aside for repairs...after 225,000 miles all bets are off.

I think there's been one other member on here with 275,000 miles of his...the thing was used as a limo...he said it runs good and the only repairs were the control arms and valve cover gaskets.
Old 06-14-16, 01:43 PM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

EricCZ, while it's a good idea, realistically unless you're getting it for something like $5,000, AND you plan to use it as a track car (highly modified, etc) you should really walk away.

Not worth the aggravation... unless you're super hands-on, especially with the (likely) shenanigans required to get a car like that through state inspection (the necessity for ODB2 "simulators" if you're getting warning lights, etc).
Old 06-14-16, 02:09 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Retail book is 10k. I would go that high if it was in great shape. If funds were there I would rather pay 20k and get under 100k miles for the long haul. It will run another hundo or two miles though no question in my mind. Emissions testing isnt required everywhere.
Old 06-14-16, 02:38 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Unless its dirt cheap I would pass on this one. This LS have probably seen better days and its almost ten years old so you can expect problems. Even with an excellent service history some repairs can still cost you thousands. Personally I would fine one with a lot less miles.
`
Old 06-14-16, 06:20 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

The LS460 is a pretty reliable car. The biggest major issues you are likely to come across are the control arm bushings and air suspension. Transmissions are pretty bullet proof. Expect lots of little things to keep going south on a car with that many miles, though. If you are good at DIY and the price is right, might not be a bad buy.
Old 06-14-16, 07:02 PM
litesoarer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd give as much as 6K for it and set aside another 5-7K for impending repairs.
Old 06-15-16, 04:10 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

An LS can probably roll as many miles as a Tundra (1 million miles). There are a handful of weak spots (control arms, brakes, interior trim). However, the car is as simple as a modern day car could be. The car is diy friendly and recycled components are available. As with any car, beware those that seek to profit from your lack of knowledge or the brand "Lexus" badge.
Old 06-15-16, 05:14 AM
sapstar66
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by litesoarer
I'd give as much as 6K for it and set aside another 5-7K for impending repairs.
Old 06-15-16, 06:48 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

My 2 cents, while I'm pretty sure the car can run a while past 250K, and unless every possible thing that can go wrong has been replaced, I certainly wouldn't buy it. Beyond the stock concerns of control arms, brake actuator, ML amp, melting interior and the like, now you're looking at water pumps, hoses, seals, and stuff I don't even know exist because they're hidden. So, if you pay $5K and have to put $10K into it, you can find an 08 with 130K for roughly $14K (I saw it on cargurus.com).

Anyway, that's just one man's opinion. Good luck.
The following users liked this post:
igrip (08-04-23)
Old 06-15-16, 07:11 AM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

To echo the others... How much?
Old 06-18-16, 04:45 AM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

If the price is right grab it, but be warned that the PARTS are very expensive so having said that, two or three "minor wear" parts can be expensive to replace....... I would pass on the deal and spend more for a "younger car" with less miles. Let's not even talk about a stealership performing the work especially on repairs that are needed to pass inspection......EG: Emissions, electrical, etc.
If you do your own work and have the skills this could be a "win" if you find a twin (wrecked) donor car for parts...... If you can buy for the right price.

Last edited by Chuckinnj; 06-18-16 at 10:12 AM.
Old 06-18-16, 06:44 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I'd have no issue with the mileage,.......IF the price is right (as stated by the others here).
Old 06-19-16, 06:50 PM
steelers6
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by EricCZ
I'm looking at purchasing a 2007 LS460L with 234,000 miles. It has every option except what I believe they call the "Executive Seating Package". i.e. no entertainment system and it's still a 5 passenger. Everyone seems to think that I'm crazy, but the vehicle seems to be in good shape considering its age and mileage. I looked at the service history and it looks like the owners kept up on all the maintenance. 20k miles ago the belt and water pump were replaced. The service history is 9 pages long and all the work (as far as I can tell) was done at the Lexus dealership. I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions. Does anyone have an LS with such high miles and are there any problem areas? Probably my biggest concerns would be the air suspension and the transmission.
This is really interesting im looking to buy a 2008 LS 460 L with the Executive Seating Package (the rear seats recline & more) it has 208,000 miles,ive been getting all positive feedback from this forum to buy this particular vehicle,its just that GREAT of a vehicle,this particular dealership will even let me take the car to my mechanic,that right there speaks volumes about this car..

Quick Reply: Buying advice - Reliability on high mileage LS460