LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Brake actuator service bulletin

Old 11-21-16, 11:05 AM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

2010 LS460 at 94k miles. I've had the metallic crunch/click when depressing the brake hard at stops since about 60k. Curious if it will get worse or just keep clicking for years to come? No dash lights..
Old 11-23-16, 06:14 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

Kbueno, I've had my '08 for only a month, and from what I can tell, it will definitely get worse. I don't know how long it's been doing this, but I figure it's been quite a while.

Mine is to the point, now, where there is too much 'bite' if you barely touch the brake pedal, and brake force is variable through the pedal's travel. Also, it's much more than a 'click', and it's even with light applications and releases. It's almost like a deep-throated creak.

If I really press on the pedal, then slowly release it, while in "Park", there is a constant noise/feel akin to when you're right at the friction point while in "Drive" and the pads are chattering along the discs. This noise/feel stops about halfway up the pedal's travel, but the dealer I took mine to, yesterday, was unconvinced it was the BA. The 'technician' also looked at the calipers on my Touring package L and decided they both "looked funny" and weren't OEM.

/facepalm

Granted, they're clean, but c'mon, dude, really? This tech also grilled me on my repair knowledge while we were testing it around the dealership's parking lot. I explained, multiple times, the only time the brakes on this car have been touched is at the dealer. I didn't explain how a car with 95K gentle miles on it should never have required rear brakes multiple times.

At 42K miles, again at 57K miles. Mind you, at 42K miles, it states the rear rotors need to be replaced at next pad "service". The 57K mile pad replacement merely states "machine rotors"...again.

Well, it's getting EBC rotors & pads (probably Yellow Stuff pads and definitely slotted/dimpled rotors) put on it when I do the work, next time. Believe it or not, I plan to autocross this beast some, next year, so I want it the best it can be.
The following users liked this post:
Kbueno (02-05-18)
Old 11-23-16, 08:21 AM
droclex
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mckellyb
Kbueno, I've had my '08 for only a month, and from what I can tell, it will definitely get worse. I don't know how long it's been doing this, but I figure it's been quite a while.

Mine is to the point, now, where there is too much 'bite' if you barely touch the brake pedal, and brake force is variable through the pedal's travel. Also, it's much more than a 'click', and it's even with light applications and releases. It's almost like a deep-throated creak.

If I really press on the pedal, then slowly release it, while in "Park", there is a constant noise/feel akin to when you're right at the friction point while in "Drive" and the pads are chattering along the discs. This noise/feel stops about halfway up the pedal's travel, but the dealer I took mine to, yesterday, was unconvinced it was the BA. The 'technician' also looked at the calipers on my Touring package L and decided they both "looked funny" and weren't OEM.

/facepalm

Granted, they're clean, but c'mon, dude, really? This tech also grilled me on my repair knowledge while we were testing it around the dealership's parking lot. I explained, multiple times, the only time the brakes on this car have been touched is at the dealer. I didn't explain how a car with 95K gentle miles on it should never have required rear brakes multiple times.

At 42K miles, again at 57K miles. Mind you, at 42K miles, it states the rear rotors need to be replaced at next pad "service". The 57K mile pad replacement merely states "machine rotors"...again.

Well, it's getting EBC rotors & pads (probably Yellow Stuff pads and definitely slotted/dimpled rotors) put on it when I do the work, next time. Believe it or not, I plan to autocross this beast some, next year, so I want it the best it can be.
I definitely can relate to your frustration. On my '13 AWD the brake "bark/click" persists and has been getting louder, more consistent with the weather getting colder. Dealer says the noise is normal and that the pads make noise when they shift and/or come into contact with the rotor. Although I pointed out that the noise emits BEFORE the brake is fully depressed, it made no difference. This particular dealer has been very good to me and I don't want to write them off completely, but when it comes to these brakes it seems that they will not take action until the dashboard is lit up..
Old 12-29-16, 08:43 PM
johnricci
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sddsdd
Respectfully, it is not good advice to tell others to live with brakes that do not function properly.
It is not normal to get pedal shudder and brake linkage noise when softly depressing the brake pedal at any speed or while sitting still..

Lexus has pre-emptively offered a special Warranty possibly to forestall an inevitable Recall and/or Class Action litigation action:

- Lexus acknowledged in 2009 that the Actuators were faulty and manufactured an "improved" part (L-SB-0178-09).
- There is now a Special Extended Warranty... Warranty Policy Bulletin 16-01 (released April of 2016).
- If you run into problems with your local Lexus refer to the above and to Warranty Enhancement Program - ZLG.
- If necessary do not be afraid to call Lexus USA at 800-255-3987.
(The local Service Writer and Manager in SC both disputed my research - in person and by phone 5 x - UNTIL I called Lexus USA. Due to the lack of knowledge, effort, cooperation and professionalism by the local dealer, the Lexus USA rep agreed to call the local dealer direct for me while on hold to inform them of the Warranty Enhancement. An hour and a half later I get the call back: "It's been drawn to my attention...we're ordering the part now...sb done by tomorrow...no charge".

Also, the 2009 L-SB-0178-09 says "Some LS 460/460L and LS 600h vehicles may exhibit a knocking and/or clicking type noise from the brake actuator during light brake application when coming to a stop or when depressing the brake pedal while the vehicle is stopped. An improved brake actuator has been introduced to correct this condition." And maybe to save a few lives too.

Let me know your story!

I have 08 LS460. I don't have any malfunction liters on but the noise is constant if brake pedal is touched. My mechanic informed me that is was the abs actuator. Do you think I'm covered or do I need malfunction lites?
Old 12-30-16, 01:14 AM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Seems like almost all dealers are requiring the said warning lights to be on. I think one member reported his dealer changed it out without the warnings lights present
Old 12-30-16, 03:35 AM
USLEX
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by sddsdd
Respectfully, it is not good advice to tell others to live with brakes that do not function properly.
It is not normal to get pedal shudder and brake linkage noise when softly depressing the brake pedal at any speed or while sitting still..

Lexus has pre-emptively offered a special Warranty possibly to forestall an inevitable Recall and/or Class Action litigation action:

- Lexus acknowledged in 2009 that the Actuators were faulty and manufactured an "improved" part (L-SB-0178-09).
- There is now a Special Extended Warranty... Warranty Policy Bulletin 16-01 (released April of 2016).
- If you run into problems with your local Lexus refer to the above and to Warranty Enhancement Program - ZLG.
- If necessary do not be afraid to call Lexus USA at 800-255-3987.
(The local Service Writer and Manager in SC both disputed my research - in person and by phone 5 x - UNTIL I called Lexus USA. Due to the lack of knowledge, effort, cooperation and professionalism by the local dealer, the Lexus USA rep agreed to call the local dealer direct for me while on hold to inform them of the Warranty Enhancement. An hour and a half later I get the call back: "It's been drawn to my attention...we're ordering the part now...sb done by tomorrow...no charge".

Also, the 2009 L-SB-0178-09 says "Some LS 460/460L and LS 600h vehicles may exhibit a knocking and/or clicking type noise from the brake actuator during light brake application when coming to a stop or when depressing the brake pedal while the vehicle is stopped. An improved brake actuator has been introduced to correct this condition." And maybe to save a few lives too.

Let me know your story!

Do you are anyone know if this problem is coming up for the LS600? I usually have my radio on fairly loud or with my kids chatting it up, I am not hearing the noises/symptoms described. Thanks.
Old 12-30-16, 07:43 AM
sddsdd
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A discharged battery can cause your dash lights to show errors

Originally Posted by johnricci
I have 08 LS460. I don't have any malfunction liters on but the noise is constant if brake pedal is touched. My mechanic informed me that is was the abs actuator. Do you think I'm covered or do I need malfunction lites?
** A DISCHARGED BATTERY CAN (may) CAUSE YOUR DASH LIGHTS TO SHOW ERRORS. THESE ERROR LIGHTS NEED TO BE RESET BY THE DEALER.
I replaced my battery, drove the car to the Dealer, required them to do the diagnostic, and proved to them there was the Special Warranty that they had to adhere to.
Old 12-30-16, 07:49 AM
sddsdd
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tlk2megoos
Haso anyone been successful with this recall? I'm at the only dealer here and they won't cover it even with the lights on. I also did not receive the recall letter but came armed with this info which they conveniently deny.
Call Lexus USA at 800-255-3987.

My local Dealer disputed my research - in person and by phone 5 x - UNTIL I called Lexus USA. Due to the lack of knowledge, effort, cooperation and professionalism by the local dealer, the Lexus USA rep agreed to call the local dealer direct for me while on hold to inform them of the Warranty Enhancement. An hour and a half later I get the call back: "It's been drawn to my attention...we're ordering the part now...sb done by tomorrow...no charge".
Old 12-30-16, 07:52 AM
sddsdd
Driver School Candidate

Default Call Lexus USA at 800-255-3987 and insist they help you

Call Lexus USA at 800-255-3987.

My local Dealer disputed my research - in person and by phone 5 x - UNTIL I called Lexus USA. Due to the lack of knowledge, effort, cooperation and professionalism by the local dealer, the Lexus USA rep agreed to call the local dealer direct for me while on hold to inform them of the Warranty Enhancement. An hour and a half later I get the call back: "It's been drawn to my attention...we're ordering the part now...sb done by tomorrow...no charge".
Old 01-02-17, 02:01 PM
johnricci
Driver School Candidate

I just got done with Lexus dealer. I live in Charleston, SC so I only have one dealer. I tried to get an answer about the lites before I drove 30 minutes and sat around 1.5 hours. They had to see the vehicle. Then I was told, after the 1.5 hour sit, that I didn't have any lites on. I already knew that. Even though the service rep said he heard the noise as soon as he touched the brakes. Then he read what the technician wrote. I just had my control arms replaced two weeks ago with after market parts. The tech wrote, "lots of aftermarket suspension parts". I am not a mechanic but what does that have to do with the noise coming from the brake actuator? Then the service rep stated that "you don't bring your car here for service". Again, what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?
i finallyjust told him to give me my car back as he was tossing me out of his office. I said I wasn't leaving there with a document that blamed my actuator noise on the control arms. When you think about it they would have changed the actuator in a heartbeat if I was paying for it. They may have even figured out where the noise was coming from.
Old 01-02-17, 02:24 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

What ever happened to Lexus great customer satisfaction? They come out with a free fix and refuse to give it to you. *******s. Treat people like they are just mooches.
Old 01-02-17, 03:55 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
What ever happened to Lexus great customer satisfaction? They come out with a free fix and refuse to give it to you. *******s. Treat people like they are just mooches.
Same with the door panels. My 2007 LS sticky door panel problem was declined by Lexus as "your VIN isn't included in the warranty enhancement". Maybe we should start considereing Hyundai Genesis - they are hungry to get new customers and retain current customers!
The following users liked this post:
NotFasty (12-22-20)
Old 01-02-17, 04:36 PM
johnricci
Driver School Candidate

Are you in Charleston?
Old 01-02-17, 05:06 PM
droclex
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I just got done with Lexus dealer. I live in Charleston, SC so I only have one dealer. I tried to get an answer about the lites before I drove 30 minutes and sat around 1.5 hours. They had to see the vehicle. Then I was told, after the 1.5 hour sit, that I didn't have any lites on. I already knew that. Even though the service rep said he heard the noise as soon as he touched the brakes. Then he read what the technician wrote. I just had my control arms replaced two weeks ago with after market parts. The tech wrote, "lots of aftermarket suspension parts". I am not a mechanic but what does that have to do with the noise coming from the brake actuator? Then the service rep stated that "you don't bring your car here for service". Again, what does that have to do with the price of tea in China?
i finallyjust told him to give me my car back as he was tossing me out of his office. I said I wasn't leaving there with a document that blamed my actuator noise on the control arms. When you think about it they would have changed the actuator in a heartbeat if I was paying for it. They may have even figured out where the noise was coming from.
Sorry for your trouble. Got a similar run-around from my dealer. Let the SA hear the noise multiple times and they brushed it off as normal brake pad chatter. Called Lexus corporate to contest and all they did was call the dealer, who told them the same thing once again: it's just the brake pads shifting. At least I have a case documented. Can't be the pads because the noise emits before they even touch the rotors. I've been living with it for a couple of months now and while brake performance is fine, I am just waiting for some error lights to come on so I can get this over with. 48k miles on the clock now, CPO warranty will kick in soon. Very disappointed in Lexus on this issue. Very reminiscent of how Jeep handled my lemon Grand Cherokee with a transmission that couldn't shift smoothly from 2-1. For those of you who managed to get a new actuator with only the noise, I wonder how you pulled it off. Good for you!
Old 01-07-17, 10:22 PM
USLEX
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by USLEX
Do you are anyone know if this problem is coming up for the LS600? I usually have my radio on fairly loud or with my kids chatting it up, I am not hearing the noises/symptoms described. Thanks.
Can anyone with a LS600h respond if this applies?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake actuator service bulletin