LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Lexus LS460L Subtle Rattle in Rear Cabin Deck

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-16, 12:16 AM
v8sprint
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lexus LS460L Subtle Rattle in Rear Cabin Deck

Hello To All

I cannot believe this is my first time to post to Club Lexus! I have been an avid LS owner since 2004, with my first 1993- to move on to own a 91, 94, 96, and 2007. I have referenced CL since day one!
I suppose I will do a job of posting more often, as I DIY like its my job.

I wanted to bring some knowledge to the community with some experience in my 2007 LS460L; and the nagging subtle muffled rattle in the rear cabin deck.

It turns out that if you remove the passenger side panel in the trunk, whereas you are capable to reach behind the frame and the rear fender panel. There I found a drain hose, neatly wrapped in sound deadening material, but loose enough to rattle around against the outer rear fender panel enough to create that elusive subtle rattling sound.

I simply did a quick fastening job with gorilla "duct" tape, in order to secure the hose to the inner frame of the trunk. This prevents the hose from moving around with "ANY" movement produced by the vehicle over the smallest of bumps to the largest of bumps.

I checked everything from the sunshade, to the speakers, to the subwoofer, to the air ride suspension caps (accessed by removing my electronic reclining rear seats), to securing all hardware in the spare tire compartment, to the middle row seat belt "housing", to the middle row headrest "relaxed position", to the rear center console.

All of this effort only to read another members experience on their 2009 lexus is250 with the "brown/blue box electronic housing" in the trunk behind the panel on the passenger side, where he found his solution by tightening the retaining nuts on the housings bolts that secured it to the inner frame structure.

blue/brown plastic box that connects the wires inside the trunk

I will update this thread if I find that the driver side has the same situation in the trunk.
Old 05-08-16, 11:45 AM
v8sprint
Driver School Candidate

Default Follow-Up

I have checked the drivers side behind the trunk panel, it is a fact that there is a drain hose on that side as well. Now while the driver side drain hose seemed more secure than the passenger side hose; I still fastened it to the outer fender panel surface to eliminate any vibration/rattle.

I should note that I still have a quiet rattle over any bumps at low-mid speeds. This is, I believe, to be the sound from the LS460 REAR LOWER FORWARDING ARM 48710A; in my case.
I can feel the part, while pushing the rear up and down, and it definitely feels defective as compared to the solidity of the other side. It also makes a distinctive creeking sound

I plan to do a write up on disassemble and reassemble of this part soon.

REAR LOWER FORWARDING ARM 48710A

Old 05-09-16, 09:43 AM
GR6RR
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

AWESOME! Another DIY that loves to help! Good stuff. Welcome to the club! You're a Lexus Tech?
Old 05-09-16, 10:59 AM
v8sprint
Driver School Candidate

I am not a Lexus tech by trade. I work on my own Lexus' however. So yes?
I will be posting ls460 Diy tutorials soon.
Old 06-18-16, 10:55 PM
v8sprint
Driver School Candidate

This did not help the situation with the subdued vibration in the rear deck area.
I have replaced the lower control arm, the rear forwarding arms, the rear sway bar links and sway bar bushings.
I have checked, re-checked, then checked again; the air suspension actuators to make certain they're calibrated.
I have secured the rear window shade with no results, I have secured the rear middle seat belt wind housing with no results. I have checked the speakers by unplugging them while doing a test drive.

I CANNOT determine the source of this sound!! I hear it most clearly while I am in the driver seat, and it sounds like it comes from the rear right side.
I am losing my mind with this sound!!!!!

Is it possible that this is a bad actuator, or is is a bad air suspension strut?
This is frustrating!
Old 06-19-16, 03:55 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I thought I heard a rattle from the same location and I think mine was being caused by the headrest of all things. Get in the back seat and press that headrest all around. It's not really a rattle, but more a subtle rubbing sound and I'm fairly certain it was and is the headrest.

I repositioned it, both vertically and pushed it away from the bars horizontally while also lubricating the seams between the back plastic support and front cushion part and it's gone, well greatly minimized.

Of course, it could be different rattles, but at first I couldn't figure out where the sound was coming from. It played tricks on my ears, but for the most part the source location, or at least where I thought it was coming from seemed the same.
Old 06-19-16, 02:17 PM
steelers6
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a question for you,I'm really thinking about buying a 2008Lexus LS 460 L with the Executive Rear Seat Package for $10,900 or even a lower price,my biggest concern is the 208,000 miles it has,i started it up,sounded great,but the AC wasnt blowing out as cold as it should have been,not a deal breaker though,the Carfax read it was maintained very well,im wondering if it will get to 300,000 miles or more without any major issues,havent test drove it yet,but i will,this particular dealership will even let me take it to my own mechanic to get it checked out,do you think this would be a wise purchase or not????
Old 06-19-16, 02:45 PM
v8sprint
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by steelers6
I have a question for you,I'm really thinking about buying a 2008Lexus LS 460 L with the Executive Rear Seat Package for $10,900 or even a lower price,my biggest concern is the 208,000 miles it has,i started it up,sounded great,but the AC wasnt blowing out as cold as it should have been,not a deal breaker though,the Carfax read it was maintained very well,im wondering if it will get to 300,000 miles or more without any major issues,havent test drove it yet,but i will,this particular dealership will even let me take it to my own mechanic to get it checked out,do you think this would be a wise purchase or not????
I love Lexus
That is an awesome price.
I want to believe that this engine is built as well or better than the 1UZ-FE that I have on my 1996; which currently has 325,000 on the clock.

I personally would take the risk- but I'm not scared to fix anything that could happen. So you need to assess your level of risk.

See what is actually wrong with the a/c and go from there
Old 06-19-16, 05:23 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I have the exact same issue. I've had the right rear shock replaced, pulled the seats out, tried everything. There was a post on here about the top of the shock tower making the noise, but mine was fine. A dealership stated it was the shock mount itself, but i find that hard to believe. I just turn the radio on.
Old 06-19-16, 05:29 PM
v8sprint
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by greg3852
I have the exact same issue. I've had the right rear shock replaced, pulled the seats out, tried everything. There was a post on here about the top of the shock tower making the noise, but mine was fine. A dealership stated it was the shock mount itself, but i find that hard to believe. I just turn the radio on.
A strut mount?? I thought the air strut had no mount??
Do you have air suspension or standard?
Old 06-20-16, 09:15 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Standard suspension
Old 06-20-16, 12:08 PM
v8sprint
Driver School Candidate

Standard suspension
OHHHHH DARN IT!!
I was really counting on there being something I didn't know about! ;-)
Old 06-20-16, 12:59 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

I'm hoping someone else comes along and has the solution. I only hear it when I drive over small bumps and it isnt every bump. Even after replacing the shock it was still there. Brakes and rotors done recently and I didn't find anything loose. Eventually we'll get it.
Old 06-20-16, 01:09 PM
v8sprint
Driver School Candidate

I'm hoping someone else comes along and has the solution. I only hear it when I drive over small bumps and it isnt every bump. Even after replacing the shock it was still there. Brakes and rotors done recently and I didn't find anything loose. Eventually we'll get it.
Exactly! Those are my exact symptoms and I don't feel like buying a brand-new air strut when mine is perfectly fine
Old 06-20-16, 05:50 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

You ever thought about crawling into the trunk while someone else drives around very carefully? Now I wouldn't personally recommend this, but I know other people have done this to help pinpoint a more finite location.

In any case, good luck.

Quick Reply: Lexus LS460L Subtle Rattle in Rear Cabin Deck