LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2007 LS460 headlight issue bulbs or ballast?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-16, 04:30 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2007 LS460 headlight issue bulbs or ballast?

For the last 6 months both of our head lights need some sort of fix. When the head lights are switched on both turn on and autofocus. Then about 20-30 minutes later we get flickering and sometimes the lights go out completely. Both sets of lights don't go off at the same time as in driver side tends to go out in about 20 minute and the passenger side stays on longer lets say 30 minutes. If the headlights are switched off and switched on again then they stay on for another few minutes before they shut off again.

I am hoping that this is just bulbs and not the ballasts. What do you guys think?

Furthermore, I was going to do change the bulbs (and hopefully not ballasts) with a buddy of mine. I understand its easier to do it with both front wheels off and then removing the tire liner / panel...etc. Would these be okay replacement bulbs: http://www.ebay.com/itm/321899442986?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Thanks.
Old 04-25-16, 09:29 PM
Pachino
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Experiencing the same problems too at the moment. Mainly with the passenger side but tonight I noticed the driver side was out when I got home from work. I recently just changed the bulbs and it seems like it didn't fix the problem. Thinking about changing the ballast now.
Old 04-26-16, 07:34 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Pachino I looked into this a bit last night and think its the ballasts...seems to be kind of a PITA to do on your own. Do you have any clear set of instructions or video for the LS?
Old 04-27-16, 01:17 AM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Usually it's the bulbs. I had a rare case on my passenger side where it was some relay or other part under the passenger side fuse box. Sorry, don't remember the exact part, part#.

Changing the ballast is a major PITA. Front bumper needs to come off in order to get the headlight out. Ballast is on bottom of headlight and cannot be changed without taking out the entire headlight. Then you need to remove the ballast partly and then the AFS module in order to free the bulb plug that attached to the ballast
Old 04-27-16, 05:25 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

My previous car model (Acura RL) was notorious with flickering HID lights. I personally never experienced it after ten years of owning it, but based on the forums, others sure have. Usually was attributed to dying bulbs and tended to happen after five years or so. I guess I was lucky in that mine never went out after ten years. I can't ever recall those ballasts going out in the Acura. Like mentioned above, I would exhaust all other options before checking the ballasts.

1. Fuses
2. You could have gotten a bad replacement bulb. People have no idea the kind of crap parts that can be found online. The flood of cheap, foreign knock-off parts is endemic, I mean really bad, even from reputable sources. They often don't even know the counterfeit crap they are reselling. Buyer beware that's all I can say.
Old 04-27-16, 08:02 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by IStoSC
For the last 6 months both of our head lights need some sort of fix. When the head lights are switched on both turn on and autofocus. Then about 20-30 minutes later we get flickering and sometimes the lights go out completely. Both sets of lights don't go off at the same time as in driver side tends to go out in about 20 minute and the passenger side stays on longer lets say 30 minutes. If the headlights are switched off and switched on again then they stay on for another few minutes before they shut off again.

I am hoping that this is just bulbs and not the ballasts. What do you guys think?

Furthermore, I was going to do change the bulbs (and hopefully not ballasts) with a buddy of mine. I understand its easier to do it with both front wheels off and then removing the tire liner / panel...etc. Would these be okay replacement bulbs: 2X New Genuine OEM 06 15 Lexus GS 300 350 450H Xenon D4S Bulbs HID Head Light | eBay

Thanks.
I had the exact same symptoms and the problem was the bulbs. I was convinced at first that it must be the ballasts, but I figured it would be cheaper to just change out the bulbs first and see what happens. On the recommendation of other members here at CL, I bought a set of Morimoto bulbs at "The Retrofit Source": https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...9#.VyDUBvkrLIU

These folks are a great company and seem to really take care of their customers.
Old 04-27-16, 12:08 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah, I agree it's probably the bulbs.

For pachino, I bet the new bulb you got was bad or a fuse. You try swapping the good bulb in the working light to the side that doesn't work to verify? I would do that, and check all fuses, before doing the ballast.
Old 04-27-16, 08:04 PM
IStoSC
Lead Lap

Thank you to everyone that responded. I am planning on replacing the front brakes / rotors and rear brakes on my 2007 in a few weeks and intend on trying to replace the bulbs first...has anyone bought bulbs on ebay such as these?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-NEW-GENUI...lWJ8TN&vxp=mtr

If not I'll go with the Morimoto. Thanks!
Old 04-28-16, 01:48 AM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Go with the Morimotos for the very best bang for the buck
Old 04-28-16, 03:36 PM
AznRacer
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I had same problem on my old ls and it turns out to be the bulbs. Swap them with Garax bulbs and they last a few years before I sold the car. I would swap out the bulbs first before looking into the ballast. And it's good to swap out both bulbs at the same time.
Old 05-14-16, 09:29 PM
tcarroll2
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just completed this repair myself using 5500w lights from theretrofitsource site and it saved me over $600 my local dealership quoted me. Thank you!
Old 05-14-16, 09:33 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by tcarroll2
I just completed this repair myself using 5500w lights from theretrofitsource site and it saved me over $600 my local dealership quoted me. Thank you!
Glad it worked out. Retrofitsource are great.
Old 06-21-16, 11:57 PM
Pachino
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Glad it worked out. Retrofitsource are great.
Been a minute since I've been on but what all fuses should be checked? I checked my headlight fuse and it was ok. The bulbs were from the retro fit source and doesn't seem to be the bulbs. Really thinking about taking it to the stealership since I'm not sure about electrical things lol
Old 06-21-16, 11:59 PM
Pachino
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rhambler
Yeah, I agree it's probably the bulbs.

For pachino, I bet the new bulb you got was bad or a fuse. You try swapping the good bulb in the working light to the side that doesn't work to verify? I would do that, and check all fuses, before doing the ballast.
I can double check it all again but it didn't seem to be the bulbs. They actually take turns on going out and then tonight they both went out on me.
Old 09-19-16, 03:09 PM
ve00386
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Ls460 2007 has the same problem. Low beam head lights kept flicking for a couple weeks and finally stop lighting. I had replaced new set of Phillips bulbs but still not working. Brought to dealer for 4 days and they could not identify the problem. At the same time VSC, ABS, AFC warning lights are on. They suspect something relate to the errors that mess up the light. Since they cannot identify the issue, I took the car home and park for now. I checked all fuses related to headlights and none of them are bad. Anyone has similar situation?

Quick Reply: 2007 LS460 headlight issue bulbs or ballast?