LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Bubble in tire - Realistically how bad is it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-16, 07:42 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Exclamation Bubble in tire - Realistically how bad is it? [RESOLVED!]

Hello,

My "new to me" 2013 LS460 AWD has a bubble in one of the front tires.

Since I just bought the car, I have no idea how long the bubble has been there. I have already put 250+ miles on it, and the car drives great.

I believe these are the original tires which came with the car, which are the Michelin Energy MXV4 S8.

The date code on the tire shows a 2013 production date.

Otherwise, the tires have TONS of tread left in them (car has under 30K miles), and look nearly perfect.

Realistically speaking, how bad is a bubble in the sidewall of a single tire?

I would consider replacing just the one tire with an identical Michelin tire, but I keep reading that AWD cars need to have all four tires replaced... even if the other three are "fine"?

I'm wondering if I can hold off 6 months... until the fall, or if this is an "emergency" scenario?

I'm trying to get a "level-headed" response... of course the Lexus dealer is telling me to "replace immediately".

Please let me know your thoughts.

Last edited by jasone36; 04-15-16 at 08:02 AM.
Old 03-30-16, 12:15 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Below is my response, but bear in mind, I am more conservative and more willing to endure some risk than others.

If you take a tire to (nearly) any place that sells tires and say, "OMG, my tire has some paint on it from running over a freshly painted line, is it OK?" Most places are going to recommend you replace because within 5 miles you could die. Yeah, OK, I'm being ridiculous, and exaggerating.

My opinion is, if you're mostly just driving locally, and if it's not the end of the world if you have to dig into the trunk to put on the spare, I say drive until the fall like you plan.

But I have only a smidge of experience with tires with problems. And the problems I did have (blown tire on overloaded trailer, egged out tire (in the tread area) on my pick-up) never put me in a dangerous condition. But I've never blown a tire on a car.

Here is where my wife really does know more than me. She's blown a myriad of tires, of all brands and sizes. She could consult on the subject. She also has never lost control of a vehicle when this happens. So, that's my opinion from my position.

7milesout
Old 03-30-16, 12:16 PM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

It can let you down at the worst possible moment.
I would replace it with another matching Michelin and call it a day.
Old 03-30-16, 12:51 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 59 Posts

Like tbilsi79 said you never know when it will let go so I suggest replacing it ASAP.... Why risk wheel and fender damage.
The defective tire being on the front is "sorta" controllable because "IF" it blows out you can compensate because of the steering, unlike the rear wheels that have no control. I had a Volvo 850 wagon that was famous for blowing out 50 series tires and let me tell you, NOTHING is worse than blowing out a tire on a 65 MPH highway (at night) while in the fast lane.
SIMPLE ANSWER: Replace the defective tire ASAP and enjoy the drive.
Old 03-30-16, 01:22 PM
Scrutator
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Replace ASAP. Why risk it? You never know when it's gonna go until it does.
Old 03-30-16, 01:47 PM
aaauae
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I drove on a bubbled tire for week and then it lost air on the highway . I'd say replace it .
Old 03-30-16, 02:06 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

When I was a young man I would do what 7milesout recommends. Today at my age, I'd replace the tire NOW.

I would check if the tire came with road hazard insurance.
Old 03-30-16, 03:49 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

If this is a CPO car or even a non-CPO car from a Lexus or other reputable dealer, I'd take it back and ask them to replace it.
Old 03-30-16, 03:54 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

If you don't replace the tire, don't let anyone from your family drive with you.
Old 03-30-16, 04:26 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Regardless the tire needs replacing.
Old 03-30-16, 05:00 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

hmm... you life+$50K car vs. $250 tire...??? Easy answer
Old 03-30-16, 05:05 PM
Unsober1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What is the tread depth of the other three tires ? Because if the new tire is within 2 mm of the old tires, then I saw no issue. But if the old tires are worn and the new tire has a lot more tread, then you have an issue. The reason is, think of the axel with one new tire and one worn tire. The distance per one tire rotation will be just a centimeter or two. But take that times many miles. There is a huge difference on rotation. This affects your traction control system as well as the all wheel drive system. And yes I do understand how a differential works.
But your tire is a time bomb just waiting for the worst time to explode. It's your level of risk. I love getting new tires.
Old 03-31-16, 06:23 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Thanks for all the valuable feedback.

I am now considering replacing two tires (the one with the bubble, and the second "worst" one), while keeping the two other tires (which are in great shape and have plenty of tread).

I would replace with identical Michelin tires.

Considering my LS is AWD, can anyone recommend if I should install the new pair of tires on the FRONT or the REAR of the vehicle?
Old 03-31-16, 06:47 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Run your open hand over your tire tread. Usually the fronts are not smooth like the rears. Also the inner and outer edges usually wear more on the front tires. When you rotate the fronts to the rear they will smooth out and the edges will stop wearing. Therefore If this is the case I would put the new tires on the front. Like you said there is a spec to follow when mixing tires on AWD and the tire shops won't usually mount anything out of this range. AWD is great but it comes with a price. You blow out one tire and you have to buy 4. Or you can end up buying a transfer case. Buying an AWD car in a warm climate area is a bad idea because of this and gas mileage and power loss.
Old 03-31-16, 07:38 AM
jasone36
Instructor

The more I read other threads about this topic, the more I feel like all four tires need to be replaced on an AWD:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/the...-with-awd.html

In my instance, the two "very good" tires are the Front Right and Rear Right... and this car has been regularly serviced by Lexus, thus I think they've been rotating the tires, but of course I can't know for sure...

Quick Reply: Bubble in tire - Realistically how bad is it?