Hybrid Technology Unique topics related to the LS600h L model hybrid drivetrain and other features/options found only on the LS600h. Please use the main 4LS forum for discussion about shared components with other fourth generation LS models.

**My Crazy LS600hL Hybrid Story**

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-16, 02:41 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts
Default **My Crazy LS600hL Hybrid Story**

Ok, I'll try to be as brief as possible with this story, but I feel it is necessary that I share my experience as to what occurred with my 2008 Lexus LS600hL. Especially now that the car sale is complete.

Some background. I bought my 2008 Lexus LS600hl with appx 40K miles on it back in the summer of 2012 as a Certified Pre Owned vehicle. It was a true bucket list item for me and I was fortunate to have sold my 2007 LS460 and found a killer deal on my 600hL so I went for it. Many of you have followed my journey in my modification thread in the build thread forum and I am truly grateful for all of you as we cheered each other on with our car adventures. And the friendships I have gained through the Lexus community has been awesome.

Ok, lets get to it. I was on a road trip with my family. We stopped to get some food and as I was backing up when I received the chime of death and saw on my info center between the tach and speedo to "CHECK HYBRID SYSTEM" Stop in a safe place and call dealer immediately" Well, we are in the middle of nowhere and it's a Sunday and it was getting cold. I have my wife and toddler with me, so not an option I want to do and just stay there. So, I tested the car for driveability on a frontage road with no traffic. The car behaved normally other than the warning on the dash. I check the INFO screen to observe the hybrid system and all seems well. Proper charging, sequential arrows going in the proper directions when accelerating, braking and standing idle etc. Got the car up to 70mph, no problem.

So, I had confidence that we could make the distance back home and decided to go for it with familly members and or AAA on standby to rescue us if need be. Also thought I had Lexus Roadside Assistance, but that was another story..more on that later. The radar cruise still worked so I set the car speed using the needle speedo since I couldn't see the radar cruise info due to the warning that won't disappear. All was normal. Drove the 90 miles back into our city. I immediately stopped at my dealership just to see if they were open since it was on the way and just do the night drop off. Realized they put the big entrance gate up so I couldnt even get on the lot at all.

I called Lexus Roadside, because I did purchase a 5yr/125k CPO wrap warranty at time of purchase. Lexus Care basically told me that since it was 3 years since purchase, I am out of coverage? Uhhh wutt? I explained I had the extended wrap CPO, but I didn't know the roadside ended at 3/100 regardless of extended warranty period. They then told me that I couldn't leave the car there as it wouldn't be covered if something happened. ANd then basically they wished me luck and hoped I could get everyone home safely and to have a nice rest of the evening. Yeah, that's just great. I was still about 20 miles from home so I kept the engine on and just drove it home with no issues.

Next day is Monday. I get the car into service promptly at 7am. Me and my Service Advisor talked about the issue and then I got my loaner and headed to work. I get a call about two hours later. Confirmed, bad hybrid battery pack. MSRP $4900 by the way. So, he feels warranty should cover and proceeds to call Lexus Care. They denied the warranty because that item is specifically not covered. So, they check into the factory hybrid warranty since the car is under 100K (88K) miles but original in service date was unknown to me. Ok, here starts the crazyness....

Service advisor tells me that car was put into service 8 years to the day of my failure occurring. In other words, 2,920 days worth of warranty and my car literally has the issue on the 2,920th day. I mean, are you f'n serious?? I was in disbelief. I verified with the original dealer and they confirmed. But, I figured I should still be good since the issue occurred on a Sunday and I called Lexus care to be on record about the problem.

THe dealership talked to the Service Manager and some Regional Director. The dealership said Lexus will NOT cover the repair under the factory warranty and offered me a 50% goodwill toward repair. So I laughed for a few minutes, came back to the phone and asked them to repeat that in my good ear. 50% was what they said, my bad ear heard correctly. Cost would come out to about $2,250 out of my pocket is what they asked me to pay. I immediately refused and worked my issue up the dealership chain. Got nowhere, so I had to call Lexus corporate. They assigned a case manager. At this point, about 5 days went by. Case Manager calls me, states they are still reviewing. So about a week later and with some people going to bat for me, they come back with a 75% goodwill offer, leaving me with an appx $1,500 bill. I'm still besides myself over the circumstances and how all of this is even in dispute. Dealership said they were in my corner and felt it should be covered, but I believe deep down they could of done more if they truly wanted to. I then hear from other people outside of that dealership that many dealerships are slowing down on goodwills due to profit losses. Can't confirm, just word of mouth. It is a business decision, I get it...

So, I reluctantly agreed because I felt like I was not going to get much further on this and I was so heated that I was pretty much over the brand. I know people who received full goodwills on transmissions and engines well past warranty coverage, but they want to give me a hard time about hours??? Making comments like "well, think of it like your birthday" and blah blah blah. Technically, if my car was put into service at 6pm on the delivery date and my issue happened at 3pm..I still have 3 hours of coverage by my math if we want to play the birthday game. You aren't a year older technically until you hit the minute of the time of your birth. But, they said they don't go by that yet couldn't produce that in writing.

So, I paid for the new battery. I immediately noticed the car behaving completely different. The car would stay on hybrid power way longer than before. It was a dramatic difference. I had my car idling while talking to a neighbor. 30 minutes later the engine still didn't kick on and I had 3 bars left of battery. I am not joking. I have never had that kind of battery performance. There are no indicators to tell you that your battery is not working as well as it should until you get an error, which is a major flaw in my opinion.

After this experience, I was left disappointed in Lexus. A company that I always stood behind, promoted and felt they really bend over backwards to help their customers. Now, I know some of you will be sticklers for fine print and say "wellllll, technically you were out of warranty and you sound ungrateful...". I get that, so fire away. It was more about the principle. The uncanny timing of the issue happening the anniversary date of warranty expiration. After talking to some other Lexus employees from other dealerships, they feel I got a bad deal. Perhaps I went to the wrong dealership, but I get all my service there and I never once thought I'd encounter a situiation like this.

I decided that now that I am out of hybrid warranty and noticing the manheim pricing on 2008 LS600s dropping dramatically, so I decided to sell it while I could stay ahead of things. I received an offer that was more than my loan balance so I sold it for about $700 less than what KBB said I could as private party. I sold some of my aftermarket parts to friends and moving on to something else. I am going to take my time and I considered doing something different to hold me over until about 2021 when I can pick up a 2017 LS460L featuring the new design. So I've considered the Equus Ultimate or a 2013 LS460L. I love the LS, don't get me wrong. But, I will ensure that I sell or trade prior to warranty expirations whether factory or extended. I trusted the notion that Lexus would stand behind their flagship. In my case, they "sorta" did, but not to the level I was expecting.

For those considering a hybrid, I highly advise you know your original in service date for factory hybrid warranty. I also advise you to get an extended warranty that covers hybrid components past the factory warranty. Most will not cover the battery itself, but other vital components are included. At least the Platinum Lexus VSA warranty does. But driving a 600hL with no warranty, you are rolling the dice. I know of two friends with hybrid failures. ONe has a 600 and the other was a GS450h. So failures do occur and you need to be prepared. I am not opposed to getting another Lexus, but I will not for a minute think they will 100% stand behind the product past warranty coverage..I mean, if they dispute the timing I had, what would happen to someone else who was one day or one mile past the warranty? Who knows, but I wish you luck. I'll be back, just going to take my time and find the unicorn of a LS460L most likely. I love the LS too much to give up on it. Good things come to those who wait.

Uncle Jitty out

Last edited by CJITTY; 02-24-16 at 05:20 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RiceBerner (10-13-21)
Old 02-24-16, 03:02 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Unfortunate situation and story. So all of you looking for a used LS 600hL beware.
tiguy99 (06-08-18)
Old 02-24-16, 03:12 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Wow,....just.......wow. VERY disappointing. I wish you luck my friend.
Old 02-24-16, 03:17 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Sucks and being that time is ticking on most of these hybrids I was a little skeptical myself but hey its a lexus.. with all the care warranty or not I think **** normally happens after the warranty and it is like crap shoot..
Old 02-24-16, 03:21 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

That sucks. Sorry to hear that, especially considering the warranty.

I had a similar issue with Acura on a known issue (non-recall TSB) and they were even worse. The AC stator was bad, most failed early and often and typically well within the warranty period. Well unfortunately for me mine failed literally 25 miles past the warranty and they wouldn't cover it. I tried to get it replaced under warranty once I got wind of the TSB, nope, zero, zilch as it wasn't broke YET. After much haggling, they agreed to pay parts, while I paid labor (which was more than the part). I took this all the way up too.

In any case, I will never buy a hybrid, not yet at least. The batteries are too expensive and they will fail, guaranteed. I read articles on lithium batteries in trade journals and one of the issues with increasing capacity and decreasing recharge times, usually decreases lifespan. In other words, their efforts to increase energy density and improve recharge times has a negative impact on life and overall recharge/discharge cycles. There's a trade off. Forget that, gasoline 100% for a long, long time.

I hope you find a great vehicle!
Old 02-24-16, 03:24 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I feel for you buddy. That is some crazy timing and would have left a bad taste in my mouth too.
Old 02-24-16, 03:47 PM
Kuhan
Pole Position

Received 52 Likes on 40 Posts

It sucks but at least they covered 75% of the cost.

$1.5k out of the pocket is not bad. Imagine you if had a V10 BMW M5? Two bad throttle actuators already cost $4k to replace at the dealership. I replaced them myself. Lol. I couldn't keep up with the repair costs so I traded it for a 2013 LS 460 AWD.
Old 02-24-16, 04:08 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I personally don't think the "imagine if" scenarios are appropriate.
I'd like to think the we are all quite aware of the substantial costs that come along with the German makes, and that comparatively, the Japanese made LS is a "bargain" when it comes to expensive items that need to be replaced when necessary.
It's a large reason as to why many of us, including yourself, have decided to go with a Toyota product.
The fact is, is that even though out of warranty, and hours at that, Lexus didn't stand behind its premier vehicle with a built-in technology that they are looking to further build their reputation upon.
That's a bit shameful.
Indeed they offered assistance, but given the circumstances, why not take care of the repair as well as try to maintain the outlook a customer possesses about the brand, and cultivate that to further ensure brand loyalty.
He bought the vehicle, paid top dollar for the warranty, provided the dealership with business, only to be slighted.
I understand the business element, but there is also something to be said about corporate-to-customer integrity.

Last edited by CRowe14; 02-24-16 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-24-16, 04:14 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

That sucks. These car companies jump all over the hype and fortune of hybrids, but they'll wash their hands of them as soon as it gets out of warranty. Tough way to build confidence in technology that many people still aren't familiar with.

I would be livid if I was you...I'm surprised you might stay with the brand, I wouldn't.
itsOD (04-15-20)
Old 02-24-16, 04:19 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the post of your issue with the 600h Hybrid.

I don't think Lexus dealer (in Las Vegas) is any better, they don't really helping the customers since they have too many business as it is and they are the only two in town with the same owner.
Old 02-24-16, 04:50 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

I am sorry for your experience! $1500 would have made the world of difference in the eyes of many Lexus enthusiast on this forum... I still very much appreciate the car every time I drive it but always have the shadow of the hybrid battery failing and not being covered by the $4,500 investment I made into 6/100 CPO certification... What a shame...
Old 02-24-16, 05:02 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Just to add, although the original hybrid battery has an 8/100 warranty, the replacement battery (same part #) is treated like any other replacement part and comes with a 12 month/12k mile warranty. Not another fresh 8 years.
Old 02-24-16, 05:59 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Personally, I think Lexus denying you full replacement at no cost to you is a total load of crap. Don't get me wrong, I'm a Lexus guy. But lately their service leaves much to be desired. I'm still surprised they refused to repair the crack in my armrest. Shouldn't happen. Your big ticket item should have been covered. Period! Bad move Lexus! Good luck in the future.
Old 02-24-16, 06:02 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Ouch. Smart getting rid of it.

Future long-term hybrid buyers should take the money they save in gas, add a few grand and save that for a future battery.
Old 02-24-16, 06:24 PM
VQT
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't you remember Toyota just lost over $2 billions on fine because of un-intentional acceleration? They need to cut down on other cost to recuperate.

Quick Reply: **My Crazy LS600hL Hybrid Story**