LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Santa came early!

Old 12-15-15, 06:37 PM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Santa came early!

I came accross a set of wheels that I wasn't even looking for since I got the car about a year ago. Amazingly the seller was just 15 minutes away from me.
We agreed on a price and I now have 5 of these in very good condition. I'd say 9 on a 10 scale .
One has brand new Turanza tire, and the rest have Ecsta tires on them in good condition as well. I'll see how they ride and if needed go with Conti dws tire.

I like the look of the stock wheels and this will be a good spring summer set.
Question. What options do I have programming the tpms that came with the new set of wheels?
Dealer?
Discount tire?
Autel Ts?
Im disappointed we don't have 1-2 setting for Tpms, my 06 Gs430 had it.
Attached Thumbnails Santa came early!-image.jpg  

Last edited by tbilisi79; 12-16-15 at 04:31 AM.
Old 12-15-15, 07:06 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by tbilisi79
I came accross a set of wheels which I wasn't even looking for since I got the car about a year ago. Amazingly the seller was just 15 minutes away from me.
We agreed on a price and I now have 5 of these in very good condition. I'd say 9 on a 10 scale .
One has brand new Turanza tire, and the rest have Ecsta tires on them in good condition as well. I'll see how they ride and if needed go with Conti dws tire.

I like the look of the stock wheels and this will be a good spring summer set.
Question. What options do I have programming the tpms that came with the new set of wheels?
Dealer?
Discount tire?
Autel Ts?
My it disappointed we don't have 1-2 setting for Tpms, my 06 Gs430 had it.
This is excellent! Great find.

Some tire shops may do the programming for free if they are the ones storing your tires. That may or may not include the dealer. Personally, I would look into the Carista setup, as it is very inexpensive and will allow you to easily do the programming at home.

Having said this, you will need the sensor codes in order to do the initial programming, and that requires a special scanner, so you'll need to visit a shop at least once.

Beyond this, enjoy! Also, you didn't ask, but if you will be replacing tires, Michelin Primacy MXM4 are what I have on my 5-spoke wheels (interestingly, an early Christmas present in 2011), and they have been great. Low road force, smooth ride - the exact opposite of my experience with Continental tires, FWIW.
Old 12-15-15, 07:40 PM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice pick up, I'm jealous. I've been trying to find a nice set of 19" OEM wheels too.
Old 12-15-15, 08:40 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Yeah, those are great looking wheels.
They appear to be in mint condition, great find!
I wouldn't mind those at all.
Those or the telios!
Merry early Christmas to you!
Old 12-16-15, 03:15 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Thanks guys.
I do have carista app, which I love .
So
All I have to do is get the ID from each sensor that came with new wheels? How can I do that?
Worst case, I'll just go to Lexus and pay, but I'd rather find out how I can get it done myself.

The timing was awesome as we just picked up a new Honda Accord for my wife so she can commute to work. Now that my LS gets to rest all week, 19s might actually have a chance of surviving the NYC roads whenever I use the car on weekends .

Last edited by tbilisi79; 12-16-15 at 04:32 AM.
Old 12-16-15, 04:13 AM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Thanks guys.
I do have carista app, which I love .
So
All I have to do is get the ID from each sensor that it's new wheels? How can I do that?
Worst case, I'll just go to Lexus and pay, but I'd rather find out how I can get it done myself.

The timing was awesome as we just picked up a new Honda Accord for my wife so she can commute to work. Now that my LS gets to rest all week, 19s might actually have a chance of surviving the NYC roads whenever I use the car on weekends .
Hey, we got your email as well and will reply in more detail there - but in general, yes, the new beta version of Carista can register TPMS sensors on some models. It's still in testing and doesn't work on all cars. But it won't hurt to try it. Yes, all you need to do is get the new IDs from the new sensors and enter them in Carista. There's a new section called TOOLS in the beta app. During the beta, these tools are free, but after they're launched, they'll cost money on a per-use basis. More details by email.
Old 12-16-15, 06:24 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks guys.
All I have to do is get the ID from each sensor that came with new wheels? How can I do that?
As far as I know, without taking the wheel apart and looking at the sensors directly, you'll need a TPMS scanner that's able to scan for the codes. You can rent one from your local Advanced Auto/Autozone/NAPA etc. Otherwise you'll have to take it in to get programmed and ask them to give you the codes for future reference, assuming they'll be nice enough to do that.
Old 12-16-15, 06:49 AM
Arvid
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Carista...can You make it so the app would register 2 set of wheels ?

Originally Posted by Carista
Hey, we got your email as well and will reply in more detail there - but in general, yes, the new beta version of Carista can register TPMS sensors on some models. It's still in testing and doesn't work on all cars. But it won't hurt to try it. Yes, all you need to do is get the new IDs from the new sensors and enter them in Carista. There's a new section called TOOLS in the beta app. During the beta, these tools are free, but after they're launched, they'll cost money on a per-use basis. More details by email.
ex...summer and winter ??

Regards
Arvid
Old 12-16-15, 07:07 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Just a heads up, I recently bought Conti's Extreme Contact Eco Plus and had 3 bad tires out of 6. The road force balance was way out of spec. One was a 39. They were also louder and stiffer than the Pirelli's I replaced them with. Just my 02 cents.
Old 12-16-15, 07:25 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Thanks for chiming in.
I cannt believe Continetals are getting such bad rep.
I love my Michelin pilots I have on my stock 18s . Just got a new set for the front actually.
Might have to go that route of the 19s are not good.

As for tpms. I called my local Mavis Discount tire and they said they will balance each wheel and program tpms for $19.99 per wheel.
So $100 with balancing doesn't sound bad if I chose to go that route.
Old 12-16-15, 07:31 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

I was surprised as well. Tire Rack took excellent care of me though. Their customer service is unbelievable. Mine were the 18's.

When I first got my 460 I bought a new set of 18" rims on craigslist for dirt cheap. I ended up selling my old ones back on craigslist and walked away paying less than $100 for 4 new wheels. Worked out well.

$100 with balancing doesn't sound bad. I do recommend the Road Force Balance though. It might bring up the cost a little but it is worth it.
Old 12-16-15, 07:46 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

I would do road force balancing as I'm a big fan myself, but being that the tires are cheap Accelera brand that came with rims I'll go the cheap route first, if the tires don't balance out, I will just get new Michelins tires come spring time.
My car gets driven a few times a month these days and only on weekends. So I'm not in the rush to do anything now, but I do wanna see the car with new rims sitting in the driveway. Hehe.

I had DSW on my 2006 GS430. Loved them then. Oh well.
Old 12-16-15, 08:18 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

Nice find. I love those 5 spokes and prefer them over my Telios wheels. Gratz!
Old 12-16-15, 08:21 AM
sdwtchlvr
Intermediate

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

To the OP, curious to know what you paid for your wheels/tires? Prices seem to be all over the place when they pop up.
Old 12-16-15, 08:57 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Better case scenario......take them to a local tire/wheel shop like I did and have them do it. Cheaper, and you won;t likely have to make an appointment.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Santa came early!