LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Wind Noise on my 2008 LS

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-15, 09:27 AM
USCRugby
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Wind Noise on my 2008 LS

Hey guys,

About two years ago I paid the dealership to fix my drivers side door. It had TERRIBLE wind noise and once complete there was a major difference. I was very happy with the results. Guess what's back? Yes, that damn wind noise. I called Lexus to complain and the girl didn't say much expect to "bring it in."

Does anyone have any experience with this? This shouldn't be an on going problem where I have to pay X to get fixed every few years. I find it ridiculous and unacceptable.
Old 11-25-15, 09:42 AM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

If your dealer repaired your wind noise problem by replacing the trim with new parts, that would likely not be a durable repair. The condition that caused the original trim to separate is a part of the car, and not the trim. I have explained this many times in this forum.

If you want a durable repair you will probably have to do something like the DIY repair that others have had success with: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...noise-fix.html

I don't think your dealer will be willing to repair in the car in the manner suggested in the DIY. I am not sure why they are unable to effectively repair the trim, but I suspect that is a legal issue.
Old 11-25-15, 10:25 AM
USCRugby
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jmcraney
If your dealer repaired your wind noise problem by replacing the trim with new parts, that would likely not be a durable repair. The condition that caused the original trim to separate is a part of the car, and not the trim. I have explained this many times in this forum.

If you want a durable repair you will probably have to do something like the DIY repair that others have had success with: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...noise-fix.html

I don't think your dealer will be willing to repair in the car in the manner suggested in the DIY. I am not sure why they are unable to effectively repair the trim, but I suspect that is a legal issue.
Yes, they replaced the trim.

I'm not really someone to DIY. I clicked on your link and it looks like a very extensive repair.
Old 11-25-15, 10:29 AM
jmcraney

If you can make a peanut butter sandwich, you can probably do this.

You can take your car to a body shop and get this done, although they are not always good at following directions. If you need help with the materials, let me know, I will help you.

Last edited by jmcraney; 11-25-15 at 10:37 AM.
Old 11-25-15, 11:08 AM
USCRugby
Intermediate

If you can make a peanut butter sandwich, you can probably do this.

You can take your car to a body shop and get this done, although they are not always good at following directions. If you need help with the materials, let me know, I will help you.
Just looks like a lot of steps. So the problem is that stupid little triangle piece? Shouldn't they have replaced that instead of the trim?
Old 11-25-15, 11:34 AM
jmcraney

That "little triangle piece" is the trim that I am referring to. That is the part they replaced to fix the wind noise. You can go back and have that done again and it might last a while or it might separate in a day or two, or a week or two. The little triangle pieces cost about $15 each at a Lexus dealer but are probably cheaper at a Toyota dealer. You can get them replaced at a Toyota dealer - just point at them and say "replace these." They may have to order the parts but that's usually an overnight thing.

I put a lot of steps in the DIY procedure to make me look real smart. It's pretty simple stuff.
Old 11-25-15, 12:49 PM
USCRugby
Intermediate

That "little triangle piece" is the trim that I am referring to. That is the part they replaced to fix the wind noise. You can go back and have that done again and it might last a while or it might separate in a day or two, or a week or two. The little triangle pieces cost about $15 each at a Lexus dealer but are probably cheaper at a Toyota dealer. You can get them replaced at a Toyota dealer - just point at them and say "replace these." They may have to order the parts but that's usually an overnight thing.

I put a lot of steps in the DIY procedure to make me look real smart. It's pretty simple stuff.
Well, they charged me like 400 bucks to fix that little 15 dollar piece. That seems a big obsessive.
Old 11-25-15, 05:55 PM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

At that $ charge they may have changed more than the triangular door piece, at least I hope so. Maybe they also changed the rubber window run piece as well
Old 11-26-15, 05:18 AM
Fhobbs
Intermediate

Received 56 Likes on 35 Posts

The jmcraney fix is very easy and once you read through it, and understand the few steps, it is not a difficult diy.

In terms of a persons satisfaction after the fix is done, one might need to realize that a car is not completely sound proof or wind noise proof. Fixing or reducing the drivers side wind noise has a side effect of tuning your ear to another sound source that seems loud only because your car is now so insulated that any noise seems excessive and needs to be "fixed". That's where the radio comes in handy.
Old 11-26-15, 08:31 PM
AMACK
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

I did it yesterday however we are having heavy winds. So I'm not able to tell if it fully worked. I should say that I was not able to do the full repair. I didn't have the metal piece and I wasn't able to find the exact ge silicone glue.

Do really my attempt was not quite exact as far as the materials.

Last edited by AMACK; 11-26-15 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Added pics
Old 11-27-15, 01:49 PM
Unsober1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

call me crazy, but couldn't a person just silicone or caulk in the holes and any other gaps ? and then glue the trim piece back on. Every time I read these posts, I want to try this to my car. I have very slight wind noise.
Old 11-27-15, 02:03 PM
jmcraney

If you can seal all the holes and gaps behind the triangle trim you will get excellent results as far as the wind noise. It is not easy to get it all sealed and then attain a pristine appearance.
Old 11-27-15, 04:53 PM
USCRugby
Intermediate

The wind noise I have is VERY bad. This is why I'm posting. I should make a little video and upload it to dropbox. It's beyond ridiculous.
Old 11-27-15, 05:32 PM
Unsober1
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would like to hear it. I have heard many people say it can be very loud. I can hear mine when the radio is off. But if I'm driving and I have the radio at about talking volume or louder, it's not noticiable.
Old 11-27-15, 05:38 PM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Use painter's tape to cover the whole triangle, making sure to cover the vertical rear section and the seal that contacts the front of the window. If the noise goes away, you've discovered your source.

Quick Reply: Wind Noise on my 2008 LS