LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS460 oil change, dealer vs DIY

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-15, 05:38 AM
texas008
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts
Question LS460 oil change, dealer vs DIY

I've been doing the oil change on my LS460. and have not had any of the acceleration hesitation ever since..

was talking to the service advisor and he said that they also clean the throttle during the oil change, wonder if anyone knows how to clean the throttle?

Thanks,
Old 11-20-15, 07:10 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

Congratulations on side-stepping the hesitation issues. I don't clean the throttle but I do put a $10 bottle of MaxClean 20oz fuel system treatment from Royal Purple (available at Walmart) in the gas tank.
Old 11-20-15, 10:28 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by texas008
was talking to the service advisor and he said that they also clean the throttle during the oil change, wonder if anyone knows how to clean the throttle?

Thanks,
I'm raising the "serious B.S." flag on the service advisor.

texas008 - how many miles are on your car?

7milesout
Old 11-20-15, 01:35 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by 7milesout

7milesout
Ding ding ding!! Winner winner! Chicken dinner!

The service writer is a flat out liar, they are telling him they clean the throttle body to justify him going there...as if it makes them "better" or you're getting "extra". They're not doing a thing. I'd be surprised if they're even putting synthetic oil in it, or the right weight....probably why everyone is having these issues in the first place. They're probably driving out of there with 10w30 dino oil from some no name local oil company. Meanwhile they're telling you it's Mobil 1 or TGMO.

The last place in the world I'd take my car to get an oil change is the dealer.

Has anyone ever seen the room where oil is being pumped out of? Where those fancy oil dispensers are attached to? There is virtually no way for you to know what's going in your engine...even if the containers and drums say Mobil 1 or Amsoil....there are companies that will gladly pump there junk into those containers.
Old 11-20-15, 05:08 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Pennzoil 0W-20 Full Synth at my dealer. Says so right on the service records which is all I care about. If they're pumping it full of Wesson, they'll be getting the unit back for a little (or a lot of) engine work from me or the next owner (8/125k warranty).
Old 11-20-15, 05:15 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Ding ding ding!! Winner winner! Chicken dinner!

The service writer is a flat out liar, they are telling him they clean the throttle body to justify him going there...as if it makes them "better" or you're getting "extra". They're not doing a thing. I'd be surprised if they're even putting synthetic oil in it, or the right weight....probably why everyone is having these issues in the first place. They're probably driving out of there with 10w30 dino oil from some no name local oil company. Meanwhile they're telling you it's Mobil 1 or TGMO.

The last place in the world I'd take my car to get an oil change is the dealer.

Has anyone ever seen the room where oil is being pumped out of? Where those fancy oil dispensers are attached to? There is virtually no way for you to know what's going in your engine...even if the containers and drums say Mobil 1 or Amsoil....there are companies that will gladly pump there junk into those containers.
You are probably right. Good point and something to think about?
Old 11-20-15, 08:51 PM
texas008
Advanced

Received 94 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 7milesout
7milesout
59k miles on the car. drives super smooth with plenty of power. I change the oil every 5000 miles using Mobile1 0w20, or toyota synthetic 0w20. haven't had any hesitation problem. it used to have hesitation problem after dealer changing the oil....

Thanks guys for all the information, will continue servicing the car myself..
Old 11-21-15, 04:37 AM
GregCon
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

I actually just finished changing my oil yesterday, as always every 5K miles with Mobil 1. I'd love to ask a Toyota engineer why they use 9 quarts in such a small engine. It's probably a good thing, but still a curiosity.

But then, I'd really like to ask why they felt the need to use that PITA oil filter when billions of cars made in the past 50 years use spin on filters with great results.
Old 11-21-15, 08:48 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GregCon
I actually just finished changing my oil yesterday, as always every 5K miles with Mobil 1. I'd love to ask a Toyota engineer why they use 9 quarts in such a small engine. It's probably a good thing, but still a curiosity.

But then, I'd really like to ask why they felt the need to use that PITA oil filter when billions of cars made in the past 50 years use spin on filters with great results.
I feel the same way, I can't stand changing the filter on these cars...but they're all starting to do it now - there must be a reason for it, most likely it's saving the manufacturers money some how
Old 11-21-15, 11:50 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I feel the same way, I can't stand changing the filter on these cars...but they're all starting to do it now - there must be a reason for it, most likely it's saving the manufacturers money some how
From Wiki:

In the 1990s, European and Asian automakers in particular began to shift back in favor of replaceable-element filter construction, because it generates less waste with each filter change. American automakers have likewise begun to shift to replaceable-cartridge filters, and retrofit kits to convert from spin-on to cartridge-type filters are offered for popular applications.[6] Commercially available automotive oil filters vary in their design, materials, and construction details. These variables affect the efficacy, durability, and cost of the filter.[7]

If one likes to analyze their engine's performance and wear, the cartrifge style filter allows for easier inspection of contaminants. Also, the cartridge filter allows for the engine to use it's own system of oil byass valves and that sort of thing and less oil starvation at startup. There are more and more cars coming out now that use this system and many retrofit systems are available to change to the replaceable element system. Heck, I think even the Chevy Cruze now uses it. I just wish that the housing were located on the top f the engine under the hood like my wife's BMW X5!

Last edited by roadfrog; 11-22-15 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-21-15, 04:07 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

just finished mine- mobil 1 0w20 with oem filter took about half an hour- pretty easy job.
Old 11-21-15, 08:17 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by UZ214
just finished mine- mobil 1 0w20 with oem filter took about half an hour- pretty easy job.
It really is an easy job. Easier than some spin-on filters I've had to be a contortionist to reach.
Old 11-22-15, 02:47 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by roadfrog
From Wiki:

In the 1990s, European and Asian automakers in particular began to shift back in favor of replaceable-element filter construction, because it generates less waste with each filter change. American automakers have likewise begun to shift to replaceable-cartridge filters, and retrofit kits to convert from spin-on to cartridge-type filters are offered for popular applications.[6] Commercially available automotive oil filters vary in their design, materials, and construction details. These variables affect the efficacy, durability, and cost of the filter.[7]

If one likes to analyze their engine's performance and wear, the cartrifge style filter allows for easier inspection of contaminates. Also, the cartridge filter allows for the engine to use it's own system of oil byass valves and that sort of thing and less oil starvation at startup. There are more and more cars coming out now that use this system and many retrofit systems are available to change to the replaceable element system. Heck, I think even the Chevy Cruze now uses it. I just wish that the housing were located on the top f the engine under the hood like my wife's BMW X5!
What I might do is buy one of those aluminum housings, like Devh suggested. Might make my life a little easier, the plastic one I have is a little messed up.