LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Anyone tried the Pirelli CINTURATO P7?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-15, 10:26 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Here is the lists of best to worst tires reviewed on Tire Rack, in the "Grand Touring All Season" category:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey....jsp?type=GTAS

Again,Pirelli Cinturato P7 beats out all others (including the Michelin Premier
I don't put much faith in customer surveys.I'm not surprised the P7 is rated higher than the Michelins.
I believe it's because the P7's are much cheaper.
I have the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus on a '15 Sonata and find they're not as quiet as I hoped but an improvement over the stock Kumho tires.
I'm sorry I didn't go with the Michelin Primacy MXV4 that were available that I've bought a couple of times before.
Thought I save $140 and because of some reviews I went woith the P7's.I wish I would have bought the MXV4's which were quieter.Would have gone for the Premiere's if only available too.

Last edited by Joeb427; 09-29-15 at 10:30 AM.
Old 09-29-15, 10:48 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 420 Likes on 312 Posts
Default DOT Code

CRowe15

On the side of each tire it is stamped DOT and to the right is an oval stamp with the code. The first 2 digits are the week of the year they were made and the last 2 digits are the year they were made. The tires that came into Costco were 3314 which mean they were made in the 33nd week of 2014.

Dennis
Old 09-29-15, 11:22 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
CRowe15

On the side of each tire it is stamped DOT and to the right is an oval stamp with the code. The first 2 digits are the week of the year they were made and the last 2 digits are the year they were made. The tires that came into Costco were 3314 which mean they were made in the 33nd week of 2014.

Dennis
Excellent feedback!
And thank you kindly!
Old 09-29-15, 01:28 PM
chpten8
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Helping you clean your plate a little!!

Originally Posted by 7milesout
But ... everything in my house is broken, and I'm feeling like the tires on this car are my lowest priority. I think I'm going to stretch them to 25k miles. I just fixed the friggin disposal over the weekend. The golf cart is hit or miss, leaf blower busted, Corolla's transmission is being repaired, the garage door won't go down without holding the button. The list goes on.
7milesout
Howdy! Let me assist you a little on one of the issues that you posted, the garage door, the only reason that the button needs to be held is because the sensors are no longer closing the loop, both sensors on your door have a green light when the loop is closed simply play with them and adjust them until the lights are on. They move over time with garage door vibrations or when bumped. They are located at the bottom of the tracks of the garage door when closed (affixed to the house) hope that helps!!!!
Old 09-29-15, 03:15 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by chpten8
Howdy! Let me assist you a little on one of the issues that you posted, the garage door, the only reason that the button needs to be held is because the sensors are no longer closing the loop, both sensors on your door have a green light when the loop is closed simply play with them and adjust them until the lights are on. They move over time with garage door vibrations or when bumped. They are located at the bottom of the tracks of the garage door when closed (affixed to the house) hope that helps!!!!
Thanks. I'm aware of how it works. But I don't believe it is their aim. I've messed with them. I think one of them is "busted." Plus the overhead unit is flashing what seems like a code. I think it is 4, over and over. Should be easy enough when I get time for it.

As for my tires. I only bring "the prom queen" out when it's nice (for now). Plus the winters are very mild in GA. I wouldn't hesitate to run the LS around Road Atlanta at a very spirited pace (been around that track hundreds of times). Just not spirited in the rain. Lest I find myself off the track and muddy and maybe damaged. I'm ok with the originals for now.

If it is predicted to rain this weekend, the LSBMX will have it's contents switched back to the tank.
Old 09-30-15, 01:16 PM
Ironman50
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

This is a great thread with good information. I own a 2008 GS 350 RWD 18 in tires and time to replace my Conti Extreme Contact DWS tires that have 33K miles - tread wear on outside is great but in the center I have flat spots which are making the tires very noisy especially on the highway. Had my decision between Conti Pure Contact EcoPlus vs. Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus (which I have owned in the past but terrible in snow). Made decision to go with Conti until I found this thread especially comments from DJWLDW. Now seriously considering this Pirelli Cinturato P7 tire.......LS430Lover - Michelin tire you recommend does not come in my size. Any thoughts / comments / suggestions would be appreciated.
Old 09-30-15, 03:44 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Originally Posted by Ironman50
This is a great thread with good information. I own a 2008 GS 350 RWD 18 in tires and time to replace my Conti Extreme Contact DWS tires that have 33K miles - tread wear on outside is great but in the center I have flat spots which are making the tires very noisy especially on the highway. Had my decision between Conti Pure Contact EcoPlus vs. Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus (which I have owned in the past but terrible in snow). Made decision to go with Conti until I found this thread especially comments from DJWLDW. Now seriously considering this Pirelli Cinturato P7 tire.......LS430Lover - Michelin tire you recommend does not come in my size. Any thoughts / comments / suggestions would be appreciated.
I have the Conti Pure Contact Eco Plus on my LS now, and the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus are on my wife's Jag S-Type. I had the Pirelli P Zero Nero on my car and loved them for their wet traction properties. I tend to drive as fast in wet weather as in dry, so that was a major factor for me in selecting the Pirellis. They were top rated by both Tire Rack and Consumer Reports for wet traction. Then when it came time to replace them I noticed that Tire Rack downgraded them a little, so I got the Contis.

I like the Contis, they are a good tire, good handling and quiet. However, their wet traction is no where near the Pirelli. I was just driving in pouring rain today and was cursing the fact that I didn't have Pirellis on the car. In my opinion if you don't drive aggressively in the rain, then the Conti is a good tire. Ironically I didn't find the Pirelli any better in snow than the Conti.

I don't drive my wife's car much, so I don't have any real feedback to give you on those tires. They do give a comfortable ride and they are quiet.

I know another poster has praised the Michelin. I've never had them on my cars, but I have bought them for my wife's car (I think the Primacy models).. They are like the Contis in that they wear well, have decent handling, are quiet, and wear well. I have heard a lot of praise for the Pilot Sport tires from Ferrari drivers, so I am going to replace my Pirelli P Zeros with the Michelins next time I need to replace tires on the 612.
Old 09-30-15, 08:15 PM
Ironman50
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Nospinzone, thanks for the feedback / comments.
Old 10-02-15, 11:35 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

The issue here is finding something that comes in the LS' stock sizes. If it were between the Michelin Primacy MXV4 and the Pirelli P7 Plus, I would choose the Michelin, because I have had good experience with those tires on these cars (had them on both LSs [well the older Energy MXV4 on the 98] and on both ES's), but you cannot get those tires in the LS's size...or really anywhere as they are being phased out.

You CAN get the Primacy MXM4, which I had OEM on the GS. They're an okay tire, but I don't feel they're the tire I'm looking for on the LS. They are also about $100 more per tire than the P7s. I didn't feel compelled to get another set on the GS when the OEM ones wore out.

I want the best riding, quietest tire I can get for this car.

I'm also not sold on the Premier as a replacement for the Primacy MXV4. I have read many reviews of people who had the MXV4 and replaced them with the Primacy to find they rode harder and were louder, including a few that swapped them back for new Primacy MXV4 and were happy. We CAN get the Premier with a slight change in size, but since the tire isn't a runaway slam dunk IMHO I don't want to deal with the issue of a non stock size.

So, I'm a little concerned but I still think I'm going to get the P7s for lack of anything better to choose. The car is pretty darn quiet on the Bridgestones though, which I know to be a TERRIBLE tire. I'm sure better tires will improve things and dampen some of that sharp expansion joint feel I get. I may just wait until spring...
Old 10-02-15, 03:15 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I don't put much faith in customer surveys.I'm not surprised the P7 is rated higher than the Michelins.
Fair enough. Here's are non-customer reviews on both tires:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=188

Consumer Reports also placed the P7 ahead of the Michelin MXV4 in the V rated category:
MXV4

But let's face it, these are both very good tires and I'd have no issue mounting either of them on my ride. The deciding factor would be the price.
Old 10-02-15, 04:06 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Fair enough. Here's are non-customer reviews on both tires:

Consumer Reports also placed the P7 ahead of the Michelin MXV4 in the V rated category:
MXV4

But let's face it, these are both very good tires and I'd have no issue mounting either of them on my ride. The deciding factor would be the price.

I really did love the MXV4's I had on two ES350,though.
Old 12-03-15, 01:34 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts
Default The dam has burst...

Since my last post above (9/29) complaining about everything breaking, furace #1 of 2 crapped out just prior to Thanksgiving, and now the microwave is giving indications it has had enough.

The furnace is original & 25 years old. I witnessed the failure and determined by the sound of what I heard, the failure to be either a burned starter capacitor, or the blower motor itself. Long story short, I found a technician interested in doing some "side" work for Christmas cash. He said the unit was so old, it had no capacitor, just a relay. Replaced the relay, then the motor threw sparks.

My choice was a new furnace ($2,200) or a replacement motor for $600 - $650 (which was hard to justify on a 25 year old system). I wound up getting the motor replaced for $350 just after Thanksgiving. I'll limp along on the 25 year old system.

I figure the ($2,200 - $350 =) $1,850 I saved is enough to justify buying the Pirelli's for myself as a Christmas gift!

7milesout
Old 12-03-15, 01:46 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

There ya go!
Old 12-13-15, 07:56 PM
thegov3
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default *** UPDATE *** Pirelli CINTURATO P7 Plus Purchase

*** UPDATE ***

Well I finally purchased the Pirelli CINTURATO P7 plus. I have about 2500 miles on them. I ended my Michelin love affair after my third set of Michelin Pilot HX MXM4. To be fair, the Pilots were Z rated and the Pirelli's are W rated. I can tell a difference between the two tires, some good and some bad:

Compared to the Michelin Pilot HX MXM4:
Good:
Cheaper, bought at Sams Club and saved about $50 a tire compared to their price for Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 (had to order them)
Just as quiet, if not slightly better noise wise. Zero hum. Love that. .
Rain and wet road handling is better, especially on turns
Softer ride

Bad:
Turnin and cornering not as tight. Some squeal if pushed hard. Roll over is easy to achieve with any acceleration and hard braking in turn.
Wonders on the interstate at highway speed some, but not horrible.
Not as sporty looking, actually ugly compared to the Pilots (subjective, I know)

Again, same size tire, just not as stiff of sidewall and I can tell a huge difference. If you are used to a "Sport" tire I would not buy the Pirelli CINTURATO P7 plus. If you want a quiet, soft and very good wet tire, go for it. Feels like a Buick tire....at least my LS 460 AWD drives like a Buick now. Which for some, may be good. Not me. Not disappointed in the purchase, it is what it is. I just wish the sidewall was stiffer. Then it would be a homerun. No snow yet here in Kansas, will update after I drive in snow.
Old 12-13-15, 08:04 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

If the sidewall was stiffer, it wouldn't be the same tire.

The tire you want in the Pirelli line is the PZERO Allseason Plus. That's a stiffer side walled better handling tire.

If that's what you want you should return the P7 and get them. They have a better looking nice sportier sidewall too.

Last edited by SW17LS; 12-13-15 at 08:30 PM.

Quick Reply: Anyone tried the Pirelli CINTURATO P7?