LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Mobil Super Synthetic...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-15, 08:40 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Mobil Super Synthetic...

Does anyone know anything about this oil? I received a coupon for this product for $22.99 for a 5 quart jug (and a filter). I was thinking I would use the oil on the LS, and use the filter for target practice. That is, if the oil is any good. The coupon shows 5W-30, but I'm assuming they have 0W-20.

But with everything I have going on right now, I don't have time to dig deep about if this synthetic is good or not. I did do a search, and only found one topic with Mobil in the heading. I know there are some guys that can input on this, so I'm leaning on the LS family for your input. Thanks!

7milesout
Old 07-17-15, 08:54 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

I suggest you read about it here. If you do use the oil up to 5k miles I will pay for your oil analysis.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...Number=2351211
Old 07-17-15, 11:06 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Don't tempt me!
Old 07-17-15, 11:34 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by 7milesout
Don't tempt me!
Actually it is a benefit to me. I'm curious to know if the Toyota oil is giving great UOA because of the higher Moly and higher VI or if this engine in general is not hard on oil. It could also be that the large oil capacity has something to do with it.
It will never be a definitive test but it may give us a clue.
Old 07-17-15, 02:37 PM
7milesout
Advanced

I'd have to guess that the large oil capacity and (generally) low rpms do tend to make for an easier life, for the oil. As I was driving my Honda Oddity today, I casually noticed that even though the Oddity doesn't rev abnormally high, it does average much higher rpm than the LS.

I also thought that the LS runs way low rpm, but never feels like it's lugging. Which indicates Toyota did a lot of work on this 4.6L engine to get it to perform well at low rpm. As well as taking advantage of the variable valve lift to get plenty of air and make considerable power at high rpm. What a fabulous engine.

Due to the fact that I have OCD, and that my next oil change is due on an odd mileage number (21,955 miles), I may consider to purchase Mobil 1 0W-20, and run that oil until 30k miles. That would be in the neighborhood of 8,000 miles. Would that oil analysis be of interest to you?

On the other hand, unless something changes, 8,000 miles may take longer than a year to reach. My attention span is not adequate, and I'm so old, I'm only about 2 weeks from becoming a petroleum wet spot myself.
Old 07-17-15, 02:47 PM
Devh
Racer

I'd have to guess that the large oil capacity and (generally) low rpms do tend to make for an easier life, for the oil. As I was driving my Honda Oddity today, I casually noticed that even though the Oddity doesn't rev abnormally high, it does average much higher rpm than the LS.

I also thought that the LS runs way low rpm, but never feels like it's lugging. Which indicates Toyota did a lot of work on this 4.6L engine to get it to perform well at low rpm. As well as taking advantage of the variable valve lift to get plenty of air and make considerable power at high rpm. What a fabulous engine.

Due to the fact that I have OCD, and that my next oil change is due on an odd mileage number (21,955 miles), I may consider to purchase Mobil 1 0W-20, and run that oil until 30k miles. That would be in the neighborhood of 8,000 miles. Would that oil analysis be of interest to you?

On the other hand, unless something changes, 8,000 miles may take longer than a year to reach. My attention span is not adequate, and I'm so old, I'm only about 2 weeks from becoming a petroleum wet spot myself.

I think that would be better contingent on weather an asteroid doesn't hit between now and then.
We can then see these two oil go head to head and see if more Moly additive is helping.
Old 07-17-15, 11:53 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Does anyone know anything about this oil?
The LS460 owners manual requires: "Oil grade: ILSAC GF-5 multigrade engine oil. Recommended viscosity: SAE 0W-20". Mobil Super Synthetic 0W-20 meets those criteria http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub...Synthetic.aspx
Old 07-18-15, 06:13 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

From what I've read in the past, it's Mobil's entry level synthetic...probably good for 5k miles, nothing more. It supposedly doesn't have as robust an additive package as their higher end products.

Right now I'm running Mobil 1 EP, I have 7k miles on the oil and I'm planning on going a couple thousand more and sending a sample in to Blackstone labs. I've got to say the oil still looks pretty clean at 7k miles - and I realize this doesn't mean much - but still, it's strange to see. And the oil usage has been very minimal - I've only had to add maybe a half quart in all that time.

I'd equate Mobil Super Synthetic to Walmart synthetic (Supertech).
Old 07-18-15, 06:21 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Devh
Actually it is a benefit to me. I'm curious to know if the Toyota oil is giving great UOA because of the higher Moly and higher VI or if this engine in general is not hard on oil. It could also be that the large oil capacity has something to do with it.
It will never be a definitive test but it may give us a clue.
I'll tell you what, I'll get mine tested. It might take me another month - I'm at 7k, with Mobil 1 EP - I plan on extending it to 10k.

I do think these engines should be easier on oil, just based off the size of the sump. Think about it...technically the oil molecules will travel through the bearing less due to the shear volume of oil in the engine. There is a calculator on Bob's The Oil Guy, for sump volume, vs. oil change interval (how long you can go with a bigger sump). It's pretty interesting, I used it and it says I can go 12k miles based off the type of driving I do.
Old 07-18-15, 07:22 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I'll tell you what, I'll get mine tested. It might take me another month - I'm at 7k, with Mobil 1 EP - I plan on extending it to 10k.

I do think these engines should be easier on oil, just based off the size of the sump. Think about it...technically the oil molecules will travel through the bearing less due to the shear volume of oil in the engine. There is a calculator on Bob's The Oil Guy, for sump volume, vs. oil change interval (how long you can go with a bigger sump). It's pretty interesting, I used it and it says I can go 12k miles based off the type of driving I do.
Yes but the demands of the engine design may call for a greater quantity of oil to circulate or these engine are harder on oil.
It could also be as I have mentioned in the past that the sump size was chosen for truck and SUV applications so the engine doesn't starve for oil on inclines.
Toyota's oil change interval which is one size fits all may not take into account specific cars with larger sumps.
What this really means from a practical point of view is that we can do 10k oil changes with impunity.
Old 07-18-15, 10:23 AM
gemigniani
Intermediate

5,000 mile oil changes with any synthetic oil that meets Toyota's specs (ILSAC GF-5) will enable a Lexus V8 to not only survive 400,000+ miles, but to also maintain like new compression figures on all cylinders. So owners need not be concerned about whether or not the synthetic they are using is the most "high end" or "robust" oil available because even the "entry level" synthetics will protect against wear so well that no loss of cylinder compression occurs for the life of the vehicle.
Old 07-18-15, 10:27 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Devh
Yes but the demands of the engine design may call for a greater quantity of oil to circulate or these engine are harder on oil.
It could also be as I have mentioned in the past that the sump size was chosen for truck and SUV applications so the engine doesn't starve for oil on inclines.
Toyota's oil change interval which is one size fits all may not take into account specific cars with larger sumps.
What this really means from a practical point of view is that we can do 10k oil changes with impunity.
Yeah you could be right...that the extra things that need to be lubricated in an engine this size, with a timing chain and a involved valve train, may require more oil. Especially compared to your average 4 or 6 cylinder. You have a good point.

I must say, mentally, I'm not dealing with the 10k mile oil change thing very well. I am 7k in on mine right now, and I'm going to go 10k, but this is not the norm for me. Even though I'm running an "extended performance oil", I still don't trust oil companies and I'm old school. It took me a year to gather the courage to go 7k on a quality synthetic, so I'm in uncharted waters right now
Old 07-18-15, 12:15 PM
gemigniani
Intermediate

The LS460 V8 has 4 timing chains. But it’s not unusual for a Toyota engine to have 2 timing chains per 4 cylinders. The very popular Toyota 18R-C 4 cylinder engine of the 1970’s (USA) and early 80’s (world) had two timing chains: http://www.offroadforum.cz/toyota/aa.../85783150L.gif

The 4 valve per cylinder valvetrain of the LS460 V8 is also nothing unusual nor something that is known to be hard on the engine oil. All Corolla engines since 1988 have had 4 valves per cylinder. And the owners manual of the 1988 Corolla specifies 10,000 mile oil change intervals for normal driving conditions using plain conventional oil. The 1988 Corolla also had a small oil pan capacity: just 3.2 quarts to refill when changing the oil and filter.
Old 07-18-15, 02:00 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by gemigniani
5,000 mile oil changes with any synthetic oil that meets Toyota's specs (ILSAC GF-5) will enable a Lexus V8 to not only survive 400,000+ miles, but to also maintain like new compression figures on all cylinders. So owners need not be concerned about whether or not the synthetic they are using is the most "high end" or "robust" oil available because even the "entry level" synthetics will protect against wear so well that no loss of cylinder compression occurs for the life of the vehicle.
That is absolutely true however that is not where the the cost benefit is.

It has been touted that modern day synthetic oil can fulfill more then double or triple it's conventional service interval and at the same time reduce more wear then short intervals.
This is like having your cake and eat it too with the least amount of ownership costs and a benefit to your engine.
Old 07-18-15, 02:08 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Yeah you could be right...that the extra things that need to be lubricated in an engine this size, with a timing chain and a involved valve train, may require more oil. Especially compared to your average 4 or 6 cylinder. You have a good point.

I must say, mentally, I'm not dealing with the 10k mile oil change thing very well. I am 7k in on mine right now, and I'm going to go 10k, but this is not the norm for me. Even though I'm running an "extended performance oil", I still don't trust oil companies and I'm old school. It took me a year to gather the courage to go 7k on a quality synthetic, so I'm in uncharted waters right now
Don't be scared by 10k oil intervals. I was doing 10k in the Honda successfully for over 120k miles and the engine runs like a top. The BMW I owned did 15k without an issue up to 90k before I sold it and it didn't burn any oil.
You have to consider that the Europeans were doing these long intervals before us without an issue and there are more that follow factory recommended long oil changes then those that don't.
What matters most is that the oil meets the specification for long intervals as in the European spec which is A3 rated. If there was an issue there would be an epidemic of engines blowing blue after 100k but that hasn't happened.

Modern synthetic oil is tough as nails.

Quick Reply: Mobil Super Synthetic...