LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Spark plug change costs $14,600 to fix. car for sale

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-15, 10:22 PM
azzkicker
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Spark plug change costs $14,600 to fix. car for sale

I've been pumping money into this car since the moment I bought it, now it's broke down at the lexus dealer and the cheapest option they have is $14,600 to put a used engine in it with 80,000 miles on it.

I tried to save a few bucks and change my own spark plugs (after paying the dealer to fix water leaks, a water pump, pulley tensioner, all new control arms, and I'm sure stuff I've forgotten.

I didn't leave the plugs out or anything, but apparently something was in the cavity with the plug and fell in. It put dings in the piston and head, and apparently banged up the valves. The dealer says they can't repair it. A new engine is something like 20 grand plus labor, so they suggest a used one.

I hope yours lasts. Everything on this car is finicky and crazy expensive to fix. Good luck.

Anybody want a 2007 LS460L with a luxury package, new control arms, new brakes, new tires, new water pump, new headlights, new battery, new belt tensioner, new fluids, 96,000 miles and a bad engine?

Last edited by azzkicker; 05-27-15 at 10:24 PM. Reason: forgot new headlights
Old 05-28-15, 01:55 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

sheesh, sorry to hear.. Best of luck to you though.

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 05-28-15, 02:33 AM
LXurious
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I PM'd you Im interested
Old 05-28-15, 03:00 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm sorry to hear this, but I'm sure a good shop can do this in half the price.
Used engine and install can be done in under 5-7 grand. Depends where you get the motor from.
The following 3 users liked this post by tbilisi79:
Jrb2u (12-29-21), Parrokeete (12-28-21), Protholl (12-28-21)
Old 05-28-15, 03:23 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Sorry to hear that and good luck with the car.

Last edited by satiger; 05-28-15 at 03:54 AM.
Old 05-28-15, 05:24 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by tbilisi79
I'm sorry to hear this, but I'm sure a good shop can do this in half the price.
Used engine and install can be done in under 5-7 grand. Depends where you get the motor from.
I'd look into this option, too. If you're really done with the car, however, given all the work you've mentioned putting into the car, see how parting it out would compare with trying to sell the whole car with an engine needing replacement.

Finally, don't feel too badly about this. You've learned a valuable, if costly lesson, shared it here, and perhaps have saved others from making similar mistakes.
Old 05-28-15, 07:32 AM
NickTee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

That is FAR too expensive for a used engine. But it will still be expensive.
Old 05-28-15, 07:38 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

For a person who has claimed to have rebuilt 10 engines I cannot understand a few things. Why cant you swap in a new used low millage engine. With those kind of skills it should be a cake walk. I have done an engine swap before and it was not the hardest thing in the world. I just recently helped a friend install a V8 and transmission on another car.
The other perplexing thing I don't understand from a person who has more skills then me is a lack of resourcing better options.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Toyota-Lexus-ls-460-2009-Iur-fse-4-6-complete-engine-/271396630460?hash=item3f307fefbc&vxp=mtr
Old 05-28-15, 08:23 PM
DiggerJim
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
The other perplexing thing I don't understand from a person who has more skills then me is a lack of resourcing better options.
I'm still wondering how that skilled person did a rookie crap-in-the-plug-well mistake too. No compressed air or vacuum to clean the crud out before pulling the plugs? Sheesh.
Old 05-29-15, 05:00 AM
305Busa
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 28 Posts

WOW. 4k for an engine with 20k miles? Thats almost worth buying to just have around. Thats very low miles for the price. Wonder what LSs with blown motors are going for now adays.
Old 05-29-15, 12:20 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by DiggerJim
I'm still wondering how that skilled person did a rookie crap-in-the-plug-well mistake too. No compressed air or vacuum to clean the crud out before pulling the plugs? Sheesh.
I don't think it was crud. I bet it was a small bolt that fell in due to carelessness as it is usually the case. this can happen if you don't account for every bolt you remove. It's good to have a magnet tray to keep everything together. When I change spark plugs I'm very alert because one wrong move and you can cross thread the soft aluminum and then your done.
The following users liked this post:
Mythicalni (01-01-22)
Old 05-29-15, 12:25 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by 305Busa
WOW. 4k for an engine with 20k miles? Thats almost worth buying to just have around. Thats very low miles for the price. Wonder what LSs with blown motors are going for now adays.
I have seen several low millage engines now and then at that kind of price.
With an almost 10 year run the salvage parts are going to be ridiculously cheap because they will be in abundance and because the car is reliable. It wouldn't surprise me if we see more of these engines swapped into an FRZ or BRZ.
Old 05-29-15, 04:33 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
For a person who has claimed to have rebuilt 10 engines I cannot understand a few things. Why cant you swap in a new used low millage engine. With those kind of skills it should be a cake walk. I have done an engine swap before and it was not the hardest thing in the world. I just recently helped a friend install a V8 and transmission on another car.

Toyota Lexus LS 460 2009 IUR fse 4 6 Complete Engine | eBay
Can you imagine the thread this guy would start if he was responsible for doing an engine swap on his LS460??

Did an engine swap on my LS460 and now it rains when I turn on my toaster oven. It's all Lexus's fault, please help.
Old 05-29-15, 05:28 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Can you imagine the thread this guy would start if he was responsible for doing an engine swap on his LS460??

Did an engine swap on my LS460 and now it rains when I turn on my toaster oven. It's all Lexus's fault, please help.
I don't know the OP,I don't know his set of skills or the experience he carries but what I do know is some of the usual characters on my other car forum that have rebuilt the same engine multiple times because of their own incompetence. When asked questions from the group they would candidly tell the truth not knowing it was the wrong way to do something.
This kind of arrogance and half knowledge leads to a comical disaster but it's a lot more painful to read knowing someone is at a financial loss.
Old 05-29-15, 07:11 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by azzkicker
I've been pumping money into this car since the moment I bought it, now it's broke down at the lexus dealer and the cheapest option they have is $14,600 to put a used engine in it with 80,000 miles on it.

I tried to save a few bucks and change my own spark plugs (after paying the dealer to fix water leaks, a water pump, pulley tensioner, all new control arms, and I'm sure stuff I've forgotten.

I didn't leave the plugs out or anything, but apparently something was in the cavity with the plug and fell in. It put dings in the piston and head, and apparently banged up the valves. The dealer says they can't repair it. A new engine is something like 20 grand plus labor, so they suggest a used one.

I hope yours lasts. Everything on this car is finicky and crazy expensive to fix. Good luck.

Anybody want a 2007 LS460L with a luxury package, new control arms, new brakes, new tires, new water pump, new headlights, new battery, new belt tensioner, new fluids, 96,000 miles and a bad engine?
New engine aside, all the other repairs this Lexus has had is an absolute disgrace. As I've said before and will soon prove, the early Ls460's have proven to be the LEAST reliable LS's since the introduction of the LS. Fortunately, once the problems are addressed, typical Lexus reliability should ensue.

Quick Reply: Spark plug change costs $14,600 to fix. car for sale