LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

ls460 starter ?

Old 05-23-15, 07:36 PM
aaauae
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default ls460 starter ?

I woke up to a surprise this morning , the car earlier had this kinda issue where i would press the start button and it would not start and only make "Click" sound .. and after few attempts it would usually start and then this issue went away for few months for unknown reasons

Today it returned back i didnt move the car for 2 days over the weekend down here

I tried to start the car all it would do is Click sound but this time a very faint sound not like earlier where it was much louder .

I am assuming its the starter ?
Has any one replaced the starter them selves ? Where is it located ?

I see remanufactured starters on the internet how good are they ?
What i read online and see could be just a bad starter selonoid .

Thanks
Old 05-23-15, 09:13 PM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 126 Likes on 98 Posts

Check the battery cable connections for tightness first.
Old 05-23-15, 09:26 PM
aaauae
Driver

Originally Posted by Tec80
Check the battery cable connections for tightness first.
checked they seem fine and connectors are clean
Old 05-23-15, 10:38 PM
baam
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Could be a weak battery, I would get it tested.
Old 05-23-15, 10:42 PM
aaauae
Driver

Originally Posted by baam
Could be a weak battery, I would get it tested.
its a new battery like 3 months old .

Does any one know where is the Starter located ?
Old 05-24-15, 12:48 AM
azzkicker
Driver School Candidate

Default spark plug replacement ruined my car

Sorry if I'm posting this wrong. I can only figure out how to post by replying to somebody else's post. I know I'm an idiot, so don't bother telling me.

I changed the spark plugs in my LS460L because the dealer said it was overdue (90,000 miles). When I did, I ordered "OEM" plugs from Rock Auto, which I installed before I noticed they're about 1/4" shorter than stock. When I started the car, it sounded like it was making gravel, so I stopped and pulled a plug to see that they aren't even close (Thanks Rock Auto, I'm done buying car parts on the internet).

I went to the local store and bought what looks right, but doesn't have 3 tabs. I put them in and my car sounded like it was crushing rocks for a bit, then smoothed out and threw a check engine light.

Why would it do that? What do I do? I'm about to tow it to the dealer and have them charge me $500 for $50 worth of spark plugs. Of course, if the car won't run when I change my own, then I just need to pay. Please advise.
Old 05-24-15, 01:00 AM
njumongkol
Rookie

Originally Posted by aaauae
its a new battery like 3 months old .

Does any one know where is the Starter located ?
Starter is located on passenger side under the exhaust manifold. It took me a few hours to replace.
Old 05-24-15, 01:06 AM
aaauae
Driver

Originally Posted by njumongkol
Starter is located on passenger side under the exhaust manifold. It took me a few hours to replace.
Thanks a ton , did you access it from the top or from the Bottom , any pictures if you do have will be very helpful .

Thanks
Old 05-24-15, 02:03 AM
aaauae
Driver

so i Tried to jump start the Car but still doesn't Start . so i guess its the Starter which is dead ?
Old 05-24-15, 05:26 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

Just guessing, but could the alternator have failed? Are you near to a repair shop that could diagnose the problem?

ETA: You could also try searching this forum. For example (remove the quotes):

"site:clublexus.com/forums/ls460-ls460l-and-ls600h start problem"

Last edited by Gbp; 05-24-15 at 05:53 AM.
Old 05-24-15, 05:54 AM
aaauae
Driver

Originally Posted by Gbp
Just guessing, but could the alternator have failed? Are you near to a repair shop that could diagnose the problem?
if its the alternator it should crank . but not charge the battery .
Old 05-24-15, 07:38 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Not the symptoms of an alternator, so we can discount that (unless the battery is just discharged and hasn't been getting a charge). These cars are not as simple to diagnose as older vehicles. A car not turning over is not neccesarily a battery or a starter. Could be any number of relays or even the start switch. Bad grounds etc are also culprits. You need to have the battery load tested to see if it's truly dead. A jump start is not necessarily going to rule out the battery, as there are also other factors at play (gauge of jump wires, contact, loads etc).

Assuming it is the starter however, the starter (as already noted), is on the driver's side and is accessed from underneath. It isn't the easiest to get at, but definately a reasonable DIY job. You'll have to remove the stabilizer bar, exhaust manifold and a few other things. Lexus charges 4 hours labor, so I would use that as a guide to how your day will go, That's a six pack at least. Even if your DIY skills are novice, you can do this.

On the positive side, it's better than the LS430.....that required a major operatioon to aceess the starter, as it was mounted at the rear of the engine under the intake and a MAJOR headache to change,. Fortunately, starters are not all that common a repair on these cars,
Old 05-24-15, 07:45 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Oh...almost forgot. Here's the best price for a genuine Denso starter:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DENSO-280-0370-Remanufactured-Starter-/321740008492?fits=Model%3ALS460&hash=item4ae932ec2c&vxp=mtr
That's almost a quarter the price of the dealer, but keep in mind it is a reman. I have no issue with that, but some do and prefer to use a brand new part.
Old 05-24-15, 07:48 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Not the symptoms of an alternator, so we can discount that (unless the battery is just discharged and hasn't been getting a charge). These cars are not as simple to diagnose as older vehicles. A car not turning over is not neccesarily a battery or a starter. Could be any number of relays or even the start switch. Bad grounds etc are also culprits. You need to have the battery load tested to see if it's truly dead. A jump start is not necessarily going to rule out the battery, as there are also other factors at play (gauge of jump wires, contact, loads etc).

Assuming it is the starter however, the starter (as already noted), is on the driver's side and is accessed from underneath. It isn't the easiest to get at, but definately a reasonable DIY job. You'll have to remove the stabilizer bar, exhaust manifold and a few other things. Lexus charges 4 hours labor, so I would use that as a guide to how your day will go, That's a six pack at least. Even if your DIY skills are novice, you can do this.

On the positive side, it's better than the LS430.....that required a major operatioon to aceess the starter, as it was mounted at the rear of the engine under the intake and a MAJOR headache to change,. Fortunately, starters are not all that common a repair on these cars,
Based off what you wrote, this isn't an easy change for a DIY. Removing the sway bar means possibly cutting the links. And if you actually have to take the sway bar out? Those don't always maneuver as easy as you'd think. And taking the exhaust manifold doesn't sound hard, until you account rust, broken studs, using a torch, snapping bolts, etc. I wouldn't do this job on my back, that's for sure. And I imagine torquing that exhaust manifold is very important, you'll need the specs, a torque wrench...and I imagine it's done in multiple torquing steps applying an angle after...not impossible, but a guy who just changes his oil and does the occasional brake job is going to have a hard time.
Old 05-24-15, 08:06 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

I think we need njumongkol to respond.
I hate to say it but often the service manual asks you to take off too many things to gain access. But I agree that removing the sway bar end links can be a pain especially if they have rusted out. Been there one to many times only to have to use my cut off tool and source new end links.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ls460 starter ?