LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

ls460 starter ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-15, 08:38 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
I think we need njumongkol to respond.
I hate to say it but often the service manual asks you to take off too many things to gain access. But I agree that removing the sway bar end links can be a pain especially if they have rusted out. Been there one to many times only to have to use my cut off tool and source new end links.
There's no removing of the sway bar. You're just removing the 4 mounting bolts that hold it to the chassis.

The job is rated as a "level B" for skill level. Same as a water pump replacement or belt tensioner pulley. But I agree that one must make their own judgement on what they're prepared to tackle. I also agree that "OFFICIAL" guides can sometimes be excesive and there are often workarounds. A good example of that is the Water Pump Diy...it stipulates the use of a Toyota-specific special tool to remove the water pump pulley. Bollocks. It's easily removed without.

The way I approach it, is I do what I can and if gets to the point where I can't go any farther, it's only a drive to the indy or dealer (or a complimentary tow via my AAA club) if I need to. Fortunately, that's only happened once or twice in my 35 years of DIY.
Old 05-24-15, 08:42 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
There's no removing of the sway bar. You're just removing the 4 mounting bolts that hold it to the chassis.

The job is rated as a "level B" for skill level. Same as a water pump replacement or belt tensioner pulley. But I agree that one must make their own judgement on what they're prepared to tackle. I also agree that "OFFICIAL" guides can sometimes be excesive and there are often workarounds. A good example of that is the Water Pump Diy...it stipulates the use of a Toyota-specific special tool to remove the water pump pulley. Bollocks. It's easily removed without.

The way I approach it, is I do what I can and if gets to the point where I can't go any farther, it's only a drive to the indy or dealer (or a complimentary tow via my AAA club) if I need to. Fortunately, that's only happened once or twice in my 35 years of DIY.
Those same short cuts are what dealers and other independents do as well but charge their customers the labor hours.
Old 05-24-15, 10:17 AM
njumongkol
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a few steps to get you started:

1.) Remove the under tray.
2.) Remove the passenger tire.
3.) Unbolt the oil dipstick tube (wiggle out).
4.) Remove the sway bar.
5.) Remove the rear arm.
6.) Remove the motor mount.
7.) Remove the exhaust heat shield.
8.) Remove the exhaust manifold.

Then you should see the starter...
That's all I can remember you can call or text me if you have any other questions.

Nelson
702-521-7601
Old 05-27-15, 09:27 PM
aaauae
Driver

Originally Posted by njumongkol
Here's a few steps to get you started:

1.) Remove the under tray.
2.) Remove the passenger tire.
3.) Unbolt the oil dipstick tube (wiggle out).
4.) Remove the sway bar.
5.) Remove the rear arm.
6.) Remove the motor mount.
7.) Remove the exhaust heat shield.
8.) Remove the exhaust manifold.

Then you should see the starter...
That's all I can remember you can call or text me if you have any other questions.

Nelson
702-521-7601
I would Highly Like to thank you for your HElp , The Starter replacement went very smooth i was able to do it my self at home , i Went for a new starter as the Rebuilt ones arent available here , though super expensive but didnt have any option .

while doing this i changed my cars Belt as well it was cracking so thought i'll do that aswell .

One thing i didnt Understand , i had disconnected the battery for all this , but now the Car drives very different much lighter much faster . Acceleration is totally different .

Thanks guys who Chimed in aswell
Old 05-29-15, 02:17 PM
GaBill
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had to have the starter replaced on my 07 LS460. It suddenly quit without warning. The Toyota dealer charged me in excess of $1600. for the privilege. I was also without the car for two days. The R&R labor is in excess of 7 hours.
Old 05-29-15, 11:54 PM
njumongkol
Rookie

Originally Posted by aaauae
I would Highly Like to thank you for your HElp , The Starter replacement went very smooth i was able to do it my self at home , i Went for a new starter as the Rebuilt ones arent available here , though super expensive but didnt have any option .

while doing this i changed my cars Belt as well it was cracking so thought i'll do that aswell .

One thing i didnt Understand , i had disconnected the battery for all this , but now the Car drives very different much lighter much faster . Acceleration is totally different .

Thanks guys who Chimed in aswell
Glad it worked out!
Old 10-24-15, 06:40 PM
LS460ride
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

So my car had only 50K miles on it and the starter went out and really didn't want to spend $1K+ for someone to change a starter. Was pretty disappointed with how low of mileage with the starter going.

Looked online for info and came across this board and njumongkol was very helpful sharing his tips. Went ahead and did the change...wasn't as bad as i thought but was time consuming. Anyways went ahead and documented the procedure for anyone who may have to deal with the same issue.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Replacing Starter on LS460.pdf (1,006.3 KB, 2352 views)
The following 4 users liked this post by LS460ride:
4x4tony (07-05-19), DedBirdDog (11-14-18), diamente (04-16-19), sha4000 (11-25-18)
Old 10-24-15, 08:12 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS460ride
So my car had only 50K miles on it and the starter went out and really didn't want to spend $1K+ for someone to change a starter. Was pretty disappointed with how low of mileage with the starter going.

Looked online for info and came across this board and njumongkol was very helpful sharing his tips. Went ahead and did the change...wasn't as bad as i thought but was time consuming. Anyways went ahead and documented the procedure for anyone who may have to deal with the same issue.
wow. First post and it's a beaut! Well done and thanks for sharing.
Old 10-27-15, 08:01 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
wow. First post and it's a beaut! Well done and thanks for sharing.
This should be in the sticky.
Old 10-27-15, 08:44 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CRowe14
This should be in the sticky.
Definitely! Moderators??
Old 10-27-15, 04:55 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by LS460ride

I'm speechless. In part because this is awesome and in part because this is ridiculous to change a starter. The exhaust manifold has to come off?? Jesus.
Old 10-28-15, 03:27 AM
Pistachio
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I'm speechless. In part because this is awesome and in part because this is ridiculous to change a starter. The exhaust manifold has to come off?? Jesus.
Hahahaha. You should see the starter change for LS400s.
Old 10-28-15, 08:21 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pistachio
Hahahaha. You should see the starter change for LS400s.
Yeah, no kidding. What were they thinking? In comparison, the 460 is a breeze.
Old 11-20-15, 08:30 AM
macjac69
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine crapped this am. Started fine at home got me to Wal Mart and press eng. start and starter whine/spin, w/no engagement. I'm pretty sure batt. is fine cleaned it anyway no dice. Sounds like selenoid the way it's doing. I hate days like today.....
Old 11-29-15, 12:30 PM
Steve748
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks LS460ride for posting your procedure. I used it this week to replace my starter. Took me a week of spare time to replace it. Had to do it laying underneath the car while on jack stands, no fun. But the car starts now. This concluded a 2 week ordeal in which I spent the first week of spare time wrongly removing the intake manifold only to find no starter under there. Note to self; do more research before wrench.
As a side note, I had odd looks from the Lexus dealer when I went to order the exhaust manifold. On a good note, the parts guy ordered me a replacement navi hard drive for $970 versus $1600. I'm almost on the way to a 100% functioning car.
Thanks again for your help!!!

Quick Reply: ls460 starter ?