LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Question for you LS owners with air suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-15, 07:01 PM
justjosh
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Question for you LS owners with air suspension

Just got back from a 500 mile trip in my 08 LS600hl. Absolutely love the way the car ate up the miles. Got home feeling very relaxed from the 8 hour drive. I do have a question though for you LS owners with air suspension. I have a feeling my air struts need replaced. At highway speeds on smooth roads the car feels great however, on roads where there is one bump right after the other (such as long bridges) the car bounces up and down like crazy. It's like the car can't recover from the initial bump and it keeps bouncing up and down until you back off the throttle and slow down. I've never experienced this before in a car. Putting the car in comfort mode seems to help a little and sport mode makes it even worse. Also if I hit a bump in the road it feels like the front suspension is bottoming out. My car sits at the normal ride height so I know the bags aren't leaking. Has anyone else experienced anything like this before and had it fixed? I don't want to just start replacing the air struts when they are almost $1,000 each if that's not my problem
Old 04-27-15, 11:04 PM
Chuckwagon
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by justjosh
Just got back from a 500 mile trip in my 08 LS600hl. Absolutely love the way the car ate up the miles. Got home feeling very relaxed from the 8 hour drive. I do have a question though for you LS owners with air suspension. I have a feeling my air struts need replaced. At highway speeds on smooth roads the car feels great however, on roads where there is one bump right after the other (such as long bridges) the car bounces up and down like crazy. It's like the car can't recover from the initial bump and it keeps bouncing up and down until you back off the throttle and slow down. I've never experienced this before in a car. Putting the car in comfort mode seems to help a little and sport mode makes it even worse. Also if I hit a bump in the road it feels like the front suspension is bottoming out. My car sits at the normal ride height so I know the bags aren't leaking. Has anyone else experienced anything like this before and had it fixed? I don't want to just start replacing the air struts when they are almost $1,000 each if that's not my problem
I have a 07 460L that is giving me a similar issue. I just had the front control arms/bushings replaced, and started noticing this behavior. I don't know if it did it prior to the repair or not and I just didn't notice it, but the mechanic thinks it was there before and the shot bushings somehow masked it some. Still trying to figure out if it's the air suspension or some other issue. Then there's the noisy driver side rear that the mechanic thinks is also related to the air cylinder, some rattle or loose bit of the cylinder. Broken? Who knows, they can't say for sure, but hey, just drop $1300 and we'll see. Ugh.

If you get yours fixed and the hops go away please update the thread. If I end up replacing mine I'll let you know what it does, but I'm not rushing to get it done just yet.

Chuck