LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

I downgraded "BIGTIME"

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-15, 11:28 PM
Soldier76
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts
Unhappy I downgraded "BIGTIME"

As You all prolly know I had a 2007 Lexus LS460L that was loaded with more features and tech then I ever dreamed. I recently traded my dream car in for a 2013 toyota avalon hybrid ltd. I traded it because my budget didn't allow for me to get a warranty or to come out of pocket with the cost it would take to maintain such an extravagant and luxurious piece of art. On the other hand the avalon is toyota's flagship (a nicer camry) All I can say is I really appreciate the fact that I owned one of the best cars in history when it came to my LS460. The car was an absolute wonder to drive and the ambience of the interior was just captivating to the point in which I would just drive around and waist gas when I got bored. Even though I had like 95,000 miles on it, the lexus dealership I bought it from was going to let me buy a 4 year 50,000mile warranty for $4,880. I was going to purchase it, but the wife reminded me on what was I gonna do when the warranty runs out. After months of arguing and debating with myself and my wife I finally decided to get a cheaper used car with cheaper maintenace and gas (preferably non premium as well) As of now I'm enjoying my car and have no regrets (well maybe a ton)but actually feel a load has been lifted off my shoulders, and finacially my family could use that $$$$$ for other things. I truly love and appreciate everybody here, and thank you for all the love and support you all given me in return. I'm gonna still continue to chime in every once in a while because this is my second home
Old 03-03-15, 01:33 AM
enjo
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Soldier76
As You all prolly know I had a 2007 Lexus LS460L that was loaded with more features and tech then I ever dreamed. I recently traded my dream car in for a 2013 toyota avalon hybrid ltd. I traded it because my budget didn't allow for me to get a warranty or to come out of pocket with the cost it would take to maintain such an extravagant and luxurious piece of art. On the other hand the avalon is toyota's flagship (a nicer camry) All I can say is I really appreciate the fact that I owned one of the best cars in history when it came to my LS460. The car was an absolute wonder to drive and the ambience of the interior was just captivating to the point in which I would just drive around and waist gas when I got bored. Even though I had like 95,000 miles on it, the lexus dealership I bought it from was going to let me buy a 4 year 50,000mile warranty for $4,880. I was going to purchase it, but the wife reminded me on what was I gonna do when the warranty runs out. After months of arguing and debating with myself and my wife I finally decided to get a cheaper used car with cheaper maintenace and gas (preferably non premium as well) As of now I'm enjoying my car and have no regrets (well maybe a ton)but actually feel a load has been lifted off my shoulders, and finacially my family could use that $$$$$ for other things. I truly love and appreciate everybody here, and thank you for all the love and support you all given me in return. I'm gonna still continue to chime in every once in a while because this is my second home
Sad to see you go but I guess needs must......
Old 03-03-15, 06:48 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 339 Likes on 259 Posts

You made the right decision for your family. Nothing wrong with that. All things happen for a reason. Who is to say that down the road you'll be back in the driver seat of another LS. Stick around.
Old 03-03-15, 07:13 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

The same reasons you let your LS460 go are the reasons I'm hesitating buying one when my budget allows me to purchase a used 2008 - 2010 model. It's been emphasized here and elsewhere that unless you do a lot of the maintenance yourself, a used luxury car, even a reliable one bought after it's depreciated a lot, will still have a luxury car price when it comes to maintenance, even for routine items.

There's something compelling about upgrading to a top of-the-line, quality used luxury vehicle at a bargain price, yet for one who has generally made frugal financial decisions, I really can't make the case for an LS460. The relatively high prices for a used LS460 says a lot about how fantastic the car is compared with other luxury makes; the question for me is whether the enjoyment I think I'd get from the car is worth it.

I'll continue to search for my ideal LS460 at a great price and have found this forum to be incredibly helpful. I just don't know yet whether I'll take advantage of the opportunity should it arise. Sorry for rambling, but the OP's thread really resonated with me.
Old 03-03-15, 07:19 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

It's been emphasized here and elsewhere that unless you do a lot of the maintenance yourself, a used luxury car, even a reliable one bought after it's depreciated a lot, will still have a luxury car price when it comes to maintenance, even for routine items.
I don't understand that. Routine maintenance on these cars is no different than most others. Oil changes, filter changes, etc are all average. Now my BMW on the other hand......
Old 03-03-15, 12:38 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Perhaps having work done at an independent shop as opposed to a Lexus dealership brings down the costs. I'm not sure how Edmunds comes up with its projected 5 year repair and maintenance costs.
Old 03-03-15, 02:26 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Congrats on the new car and I wish you good luck with it!

Yes be sure to chime in any time, but please, go easy on the emoticons!
Old 03-03-15, 05:52 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I actually like the new Avalon...saw a sweet one at the dealer a year ago...blue with black rims. I was pretty surprised at it's look - I actually think the rear end reminds me of the LS 460 a little bit.

I don't know why people are afraid of the cost of ownership of the 460. I put 500-600 miles a week on mine and I don't run into any problems with it, but let's say I do...it's not like the thing is an Audi. You can work on them...you can get parts...and for the most part you don't need speciality tools.
Old 03-04-15, 08:47 AM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I don't understand that. Routine maintenance on these cars is no different than most others. Oil changes, filter changes, etc are all average. Now my BMW on the other hand......
I'm thinking his meaning was something along the lines of being able to get maintenance and even light repair done much less expensively if you DIY, versus having to rely on the stealership for everything.

I have a point of confusion here also. I'm assuming at the moment that the Avalon purchased was new. Repairing a 100k+ mile LS is MUCH LESS expensive than buying a new Avalon. And if it is well maintained the risk is fairly low, but not a gaurantee.

Heck, my LS is the only car I own with less than 100k. And I have no issues with my other cars. Course they've been maintained, and are not complete junkers. None of them are perfect though, there are things I can live with.

But to each his own. I love the Avalon, I did seat design on the Avalon a generation or two back!

7milesout
Old 03-04-15, 09:17 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Gbp, a used LS isn't for everyone. I'm sure I will have some repair work needed on my 08 somewhere down the line. Short of a total overhaul, I doubt I will spend anywhere near the $75K the car cost new. But every time I open the garage door and look at my car I smile. Every time I get in the driver's seat I am in awe. Every time I drive down the road, I fly! Every time I crank up that ML sound system I rock!

Some things to consider. First find yourself a good reliable shop who specializes in Toyota or Lexus cars and get to know them. Second, consider finding a car with a CPO or third, buy a warranty for peace of mind. Or of course 4th, buy yourself another car.

At the end of the day, do what's best for you.
Old 03-04-15, 09:53 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Thanks, R Z, for the perspective. Yes, I'd like a car that put a smile on my face every time I looked at it, much less drove it. The lush interior, understated but shapely exterior, excellent and quiet ride, top-of-the line audio system, abundant features (compared with the car I have now), and last, but certainly not least, superior reliability, make a used LS460 extremely tempting.

I won't hijack this thread any further; it's just that I can see the OP's point of leveraging his LS460L to substantially bring down the acquisition cost of a 2013 Avalon Limited Hybrid. His MPG will skyrocket compared with the LS, and AFAIK, the Avalon will do fine with non-premium gas. If he's still under the original warranty and/or bought a CPO vehicle, potential repair costs should be relatively low. It sounds like OP and his spouse have more important financial priorities now than owning a luxury vehicle.

I certainly wouldn't mind having a luxury vehicle that's already been through most of its depreciation curve and then holds its value apparently much better than other luxury vehicles due to its durability and reliability. Should the time come, one has a good exit strategy like the OP used.

Last edited by Gbp; 03-04-15 at 06:56 PM.
Old 03-04-15, 01:42 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 7milesout
I'm thinking his meaning was something along the lines of being able to get maintenance and even light repair done much less expensively if you DIY, versus having to rely on the stealership for everything.

I have a point of confusion here also. I'm assuming at the moment that the Avalon purchased was new. Repairing a 100k+ mile LS is MUCH LESS expensive than buying a new Avalon. And if it is well maintained the risk is fairly low, but not a gaurantee.

Heck, my LS is the only car I own with less than 100k. And I have no issues with my other cars. Course they've been maintained, and are not complete junkers. None of them are perfect though, there are things I can live with.

But to each his own. I love the Avalon, I did seat design on the Avalon a generation or two back!

7milesout
Glad to hear you didn't design the seats on the current generation Avalon...those are considered to be a major problem. The back of the seats have to constantly be repaired because the back of the seat falls off and the comfort level has been heavily criticized.
Old 03-04-15, 01:54 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Glad to hear you didn't design the seats on the current generation Avalon...those are considered to be a major problem. The back of the seats have to constantly be repaired because the back of the seat falls off and the comfort level has been heavily criticized.
Well, that's what happens when I leave a place. It goes to pot!

I'm the wrong one to give advice to someone like Gbp because I have too many vehicles (7 that are street legal). So if one goes down, it will sit until I find a cost effective solution, which generally means that I will fix it myself. Plus it's not like I need to rent a car, I have a few spares. If it breaks down out somewhere, I just call Nuckin' Futs Truckin' (me). I get my truck and enclosed trailer and go get it. One stop shop here.

Currently my LS sits in the garage unless its nice out. Right now it's dirty ... with dust from the garage! 18k miles (4,500 of my own).

7milesout
Old 03-04-15, 03:46 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Currently my LS sits in the garage unless its nice out. Right now it's dirty ... with dust from the garage! 18k miles (4,500 of my own).
7milesout
Same here. I'm averaging roughly 400 miles a month on my LS.
Old 03-04-15, 04:20 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Well, that's what happens when I leave a place. It goes to pot!

I'm the wrong one to give advice to someone like Gbp because I have too many vehicles (7 that are street legal). So if one goes down, it will sit until I find a cost effective solution, which generally means that I will fix it myself. Plus it's not like I need to rent a car, I have a few spares. If it breaks down out somewhere, I just call Nuckin' Futs Truckin' (me). I get my truck and enclosed trailer and go get it. One stop shop here.

7milesout
I was like that once...had a truck, the LS (which I only drove on rare occasions), had a Honda Accord and a Honda CRV. Sold the truck...never drive the Hondas anymore...and now just pile the miles on the LS (and to think that at one point I used to just pamper the thing, now I drive it 600 miles a week).

Quick Reply: I downgraded "BIGTIME"