LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Cold start; lifter noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-17, 12:32 PM
jmcraney

Received 254 Likes on 194 Posts

Although the thread title refers to "wind noise" the problem is really cabin isolation from outside sounds. I have pointed this out so much that I think many forum denizens are tired of hearing about it. I hope they will bear with us. Your car will probably benefit from this repair.

Check here for details: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...noise-fix.html
Old 02-23-17, 01:07 PM
jud149
Advanced

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcraney
Although the thread title refers to "wind noise" the problem is really cabin isolation from outside sounds. I have pointed this out so much that I think many forum denizens are tired of hearing about it. I hope they will bear with us. Your car will probably benefit from this repair.

Many thanks...
Old 02-23-17, 05:33 PM
jud149
Advanced

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by jmcraney

A truly great thread which I'm sure took you hours to compile. Thank you for your work. This forum is fortunate to have you as a member. (And I might add, don't be so humble to think members will tire of seeing it. And for that matter, there are many newbies here.)

Your thread makes reference to LS's thru 2010. As you may not know, mine is a very early '11. Do you still think I will benefit from this repair? I plan on doing it anyway, but just curious of your answer.
Old 02-23-17, 07:18 PM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Cold starts are when most engine wear happens. Many articles claim as much as 90%. I also own a 16 WRX and while many complain of cold start rattles related to the timing chain or "lifters" or whatever I do not experience this with my vehicle after switching to mobile one extended performance motor oil at about 500 miles. Even on very cold mornings. A proper functioning anti-drainback valve in the oil filter also plays a big role in how quickly oil will circulate on cold starts.

The reality is simple. The longer a vehicle sits the more oil seeps down to the pan and it will take time for this oil to be pumped through the engine and lubricate properly. The best way to minimize this metal to metal contact is by using high quality oil combined with a high quality filter. My old LS430 started experiencing a little bit of lifter noise around 140k on cold starts even though I was adhering to my quality oil / filter usage. I was able to completely eliminate this by draining 1/2 a quart of oil about 1k before the oil change and I replaced with marvel mystery oil. The product definitely helps eliminate varnesh and carbon deposits that can plug up the tiny holes or grooves in which needs oil to flow. The cold start noises you are hearing is not the DI it is metal to metal contact due lack of lubrication. Hence why it goes away once it becomes lubricated.

Last edited by Lexuslsguy; 02-23-17 at 07:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
samsonn25 (08-03-19)
Old 11-17-19, 09:57 AM
Dontwantit
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS knowledge lacking a bit.

Originally Posted by Devh
What you describe is most likely completely normal. It's a result of the extreme quietness of the cabin where you actually can hear a pin drop. The pin is the high pressure fuel pumps rubbing against the camshaft lobe within your engine and it is not exclusive for this car as it's seen across the industry.
The warm up loudness is also normal due to the timing chain, cams and lifters but it settles down once warm. It is a trade off for increased millage and power but well worth it and a non issue once the car is warmed up.
The best way to know the ticking is not severe is to turn on the radio to a very low volume and if it goes away you should be just fine.
To the best of my knowledge and experience....ALL LS 400's have a timing BELT.
Any feedback on this observation?
Old 11-19-19, 12:49 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 334 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by Dontwantit
To the best of my knowledge and experience....ALL LS 400's have a timing BELT.
Any feedback on this observation?
All LS 400s do have a timing belt but this is the LS 460 forum.