LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Oil Filter Bracket Clip

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-14, 08:04 AM
jud149
Advanced

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Oil Filter Bracket Clip

Can someone tell me the purpose of the attached? The Lexus repair manual says not to remove it from the filter housing when changing oil filter.

This is how it attaches to the housing.

Old 12-27-14, 08:53 AM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

It looks like a grounding clip. Our vehicles do not use the oil filter housing as a grounding point but maybe some of the many hundreds of vehicles Toyota makes does.
The only thing Toyota didn't do right is employing the plastic housing. On my next oil change I'm upgrading to the metal one.
Old 12-27-14, 09:07 AM
jud149
Advanced

Thanks, but I don't see how you can ground something plastic. I'm wondering if it's there to prevent the housing from coming off if not tightened properly.

I did buy a metal filter housing (Dorman) but haven't installed it yet as I'm still under CPO warranty and don't want anything to void it if something happens engine wise.

Last edited by jud149; 12-28-14 at 05:01 AM.
Old 12-27-14, 09:15 AM
Devh
Racer

Upon further research it appears to be an indicator that is used to line up the oil filter so you don't have to use a torque wrench every time.
I'm going to use a torque wrench to this filter from now onwards because the low amount of torque they call for doesn't feel right. Also the bottom of the housing as a drain hole for residual oil in the housing so you don't make a mess. Mine is on so tight that it moves the entire housing and as a result I made a mess without having access to drain.

Last edited by Devh; 12-27-14 at 09:22 AM.
Old 12-27-14, 09:44 AM
jud149
Advanced

Perhaps that's the reason although the manual still says to torque it. My cap is on too tight also but I have no one to blame but myself.

Out of curiosity, where did you find that info re not having to torque the housing due to the bracket clip? I'd like to read it. The Lexus manual makes no reference to the clip other than saying don't remove it when removing or reinserting the housing. In other words, never take it off.

Before I purchased this '11 LS460, all oil changes were done by Lexus and the clip was on when I purchased the car.

Thanks again for the reply.

Last edited by jud149; 12-27-14 at 09:49 AM.
Old 12-27-14, 09:59 AM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by jud149
Perhaps that's the reason although the manual still says to torque it. My cap is on too tight also but I have no one to blame but myself.

Out of curiosity, where did you find that info re not having to torque the housing due to the bracket clip? I'd like to read it. The Lexus manual makes no reference to the clip other than saying don't remove it when removing or reinserting the housing. In other words, never take it off.

Before I purchased this '11 LS460, all oil changes were done by Lexus and the clip was on when I purchased the car.

Thanks again for the reply.
It's hearsay from some random forum. It does make sense that it would line up to the ridge on the block. Some have said that it prevents the filter housing from spinning but from some of the images that I have seen that ridge doesn't make contact with the tab.
I think once you get it in that torque range then you simple line up the tab. If you do this repeatedly then you will not require a torque wrench and can do it on feel and using the tab as a quick indicator.
I have come across the installation of some assembles with somewhat similar limiting indicators that don't let you over torque.

I suffer from the same problem with over torqueing the filter housing because it doesn't feel right with that little of torque. I will from now onwards us a torque wrench and set if for one to two ftlb more for good luck.

Last edited by Devh; 12-27-14 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-27-14, 10:03 AM
jud149
Advanced

Originally Posted by Devh
It's hearsay from some random forum. It does make sense that it would line up to the ridge the upper part of the block. Some have said that it prevents the filter housing from spinning but from some of the imagines that I have seen that ridge doesn't make contact with the tab.
I think once you get it in that torque range then you simple line up the tab. If you do this repeatedly then you will not require a torque wrench and can do it on feel and using the tab as a quick indicator.
I have come across the installation of some assembles with somewhat similar limiting indicators that don't let you over torque.
Thanks, again.
Old 12-27-14, 10:08 AM
Devh
Racer

Thanks, again.
Actually thank you for your post. I don't have that bracket because I'm sure the person who changed the oil before I owned the car broke It off. Now I know what it's for.
Old 12-27-14, 10:21 AM
jud149
Advanced

FWIW, I actually was looking to buy the clip, before I accidently found my original today, but couldn't locate a new one on one of the on-line discount Lexus dealers.
Old 12-27-14, 10:30 AM
Devh
Racer

FWIW, I actually was looking to buy the clip, before I accidently found my original today, but couldn't locate a new one on one of the on-line discount Lexus dealers.
Actually after looking at the clip it would seem that there is a bump at the tip that appears to be a ramp that goes over the ridge as it makes contact. Maybe it's true that this clip prevents the oil filter from spinning if it comes loose from vibrations.

When you place the clip back onto the oil filter housing, observed it makes contact every time it spins passed the ridge.
Maybe when it makes contact and goes over it's fully clocked.

Last edited by Devh; 12-27-14 at 10:33 AM.
Old 12-27-14, 11:48 AM
jud149
Advanced

Originally Posted by Devh
Actually after looking at the clip it would seem that there is a bump at the tip that appears to be a ramp that goes over the ridge as it makes contact. Maybe it's true that this clip prevents the oil filter from spinning if it comes loose from vibrations.

When you place the clip back onto the oil filter housing, observed it makes contact every time it spins passed the ridge.
Maybe when it makes contact and goes over it's fully clocked.
There definitely is a bump on the tip and it appears that the clip's (bump) ultimate position is just past one of the two ridges.
Old 12-27-14, 11:57 AM
Devh
Racer

There definitely is a bump on the tip and it appears that the clip's (bump) ultimate position is just past one of the two ridges.
Maybe once it clears one of the ridges it's set. I think using a torque wrench will confirm this.
If it's so then we no longer need the torque wrench and can use the tab as a guide.
Old 12-28-14, 04:49 AM
jud149
Advanced

The only thing about this theory is that the Lexus manual says to not remove the clip but then provides the torque specs in the next to do item in securing (reinstalling) the oil filter cap. I'm taking mine in for tire balancing and I'll see what some of techs have to say about this clip.

Last edited by jud149; 12-28-14 at 05:14 AM.
Old 12-28-14, 05:05 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I just use it as a reference point for tightness, and I think it's designed to keep the cap from loosening up, but I don't really think it's robust enough for that. I can't tell you how many times I've come close to losing mine during an oil change - I once had a guy throw it away while I was doing one. I asked him...hey did you see a little clip laying around? And he said, yeah I thought it was just a piece of garbage, sorry. So he dug it out of the trash.
Old 12-28-14, 06:32 AM
jud149
Advanced

If anyone needs the clip...

http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...567937010.html

Best to call to ensure it's the right one for your model as the application listing doesn't show the LS460..

Last edited by jud149; 12-28-14 at 06:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Oil Filter Bracket Clip