LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Vibration at idle while in gear

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-14, 08:08 AM
vadpink
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Vibration at idle while in gear

I have a 2008 LS460 with 79K miles.
Everything on the car is great, except
this vibration at idle while in drive. For example, when I stopped at a red light I
feel this vibration through the steering wheel, in the driver seat and the
passanger side. Now, when I put it in reverse, neutral or on park (foot still on or off the brake and vehicle stopped)
the vibration goes away.

Does anyone know what may be causing this problem? I wonder what may be causing this problem?
The following users liked this post:
CamelKool (10-10-20)
Old 12-17-14, 11:32 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

I think you'll need to take it to a dealership for diagnosis. Sounds like the idle speed in neutral may be too low. That's not a simple adjustment.
Old 12-17-14, 12:00 PM
vadpink
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
I think you'll need to take it to a dealership for diagnosis. Sounds like the idle speed in neutral may be too low. That's not a simple adjustment.
I guess I have no choice but to bring it into lexus. One mechanic told me that it maybe the beginning of faulty ABS unit? Any thoughts on it?
Old 12-17-14, 12:19 PM
gtung99
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What a coincidence. my 08 just started doing this today. The vibration is very slight but definitely noticeable. Not there when the car is moving. I don't think it has to do with idle.

So which one of us is going to go to lexus first?
Old 12-17-14, 01:33 PM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Idle should be in 500-600 area in drive. If it's lower spark plugs could be tired.

Also check your transmission mount. When those go bad you get vibrations throughout the rpm range, same goes for engine mounts.
CamelKool (10-10-20)
Old 12-17-14, 02:30 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

Engine mount?
CamelKool (10-10-20)
Old 12-17-14, 02:54 PM
gtung99
Driver School Candidate

McGrath Lexus by where I am charges a diagnostic fee of $89 dollars and they said it'll cover all my concerns. I'm going to bring my car in this Sat. for this vibration issue and also I'm going to have them check my transmission for hard shifts when cold and the tight steering.

Three birds with one stone and hopefully they all come back with easy fixes.
CamelKool (10-10-20)
Old 12-17-14, 04:18 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Vibration on idle is an issue that was discussed extensively on this forum. It is basically a characteristic of the 460 engine. I have personally owned 3 of them and they all have the same issue at various degrees. I tried on one of the cars changing the spark plugs, use fuel cleaners, etc. and nothing worked. So, I suggest that you learn to live with it. way to relief this is to leave your AC on or a seat heater.
Old 12-17-14, 04:54 PM
gtung99
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hfahmy
Vibration on idle is an issue that was discussed extensively on this forum. It is basically a characteristic of the 460 engine. I have personally owned 3 of them and they all have the same issue at various degrees. I tried on one of the cars changing the spark plugs, use fuel cleaners, etc. and nothing worked. So, I suggest that you learn to live with it. way to relief this is to leave your AC on or a seat heater.
Wow ok thanks for your input. Makes me feel a bit better. I started another thead previous about noticeable shifts in 1-2-3 especially when it is still cold, did you have this problem with the 3 460s you owned?
CamelKool (10-10-20)
Old 12-17-14, 05:40 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

When u say noticeable, do u mean shudder when shifting or you hear the engine changing speed loudly when cold?

In the 2010 I have now, when cold I can clearly hear shifting between the gears as I drive 1.3 miles below 25mph until I get out of my subdivision. No vibration though.
Old 12-17-14, 05:43 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts

Another solution is to buy a Hyundai, or some other turd. Now hold on ... let me explain. Keep the LS of course. But when you drive the Hyundai / Kia or similar turd for a while you won't notice this vibration any longer. I have a Dodge Ram with a Cummins diesel. And a couple other vehicles. None are turds, but all have plenty o' miles.

For all I know, my LS may be the most vibrating LS on the road. But after driving my other cars I can't tell. So there you have it ... a legitimate solution ... based on previous work experience. Have i mentioned I "worked as" an engineer for Hyundai for 7 years? My Korean counterparts never came up with solutions quite that clever ... I was an All-Star.

You're Welcome!
CamelKool (10-10-20)
Old 12-17-14, 06:07 PM
gtung99
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by hfahmy
When u say noticeable, do u mean shudder when shifting or you hear the engine changing speed loudly when cold?

In the 2010 I have now, when cold I can clearly hear shifting between the gears as I drive 1.3 miles below 25mph until I get out of my subdivision. No vibration though.
Yup I feel the shudder. Especially at low speeds and more noticeable when it's cold. It's not bad by any means but even my sienna doesn't do this. None of the Toyota nor Lexus cars I owned before felt like this. Is just how it is due to the cvt nature of the transmission?
CamelKool (10-10-20)
Old 12-17-14, 06:22 PM
hfahmy
Advanced

If I recall you said that transmission oil was changed before? Do you know why it was changed? Did you read the detailed records on Lexus.com? Just make sure that it was done right, you might need it done again at the dealer. It is not the simple drain and fill that other cars need.

I recall reading someone posted that they had all kind of trouble with the transmission when an independent mechanic did transmission service and problem went away after transmission oil change was done right by a Lexus dealer.

I hope this solves the shudder. Good luck!
CamelKool (10-10-20)
Old 12-17-14, 10:49 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm sorry for this, and I don't mean to take the topic of this thread off track, so please forgive me...
However...
Am I the the only one who finds 7miles dry albiet, direct, timely humor eloquent yet enjoyable?
Informative but always with a sliver of satire!
Lastly, yet more importantly, grunge99, I hope you are able to get your issue resolved very soon.
Old 12-18-14, 03:54 AM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

I had this same issue on my 2008 and 2012 in the winter. Are your headlights, seat warmer and AC off? If they are off and the rpm is about 500 you will feel the shudder. Try turning on one of the above and the rpm will go up to about 700 and with that the shudder goes away.

Quick Reply: Vibration at idle while in gear