LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Thoughts on new tires?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-14, 08:17 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Thoughts on new tires?

Gents,

My Michelin Primacy MXM4s (245/45R19) are just about down to the the wear bars after 38k miles on my 2013 LS460. Tires were OK, but just OK. I know LS handling will never be as sharp as that found in sport sedans (even in Sport +), but I'd like to maximize what the car CAN do by selecting one of the following all-season replacement tires:

1) Michelin Primacy MXM4 (same tire as current)

2) Continental ExtremeContact DWS (had on 2007 LS460, again just OK and I HATE the color)

3) Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3.

Can anyone offer experience with or guidance on the above choices? Please keep in mind that I'm not considering any other tires and would appreciate limiting any discussion to the specific ones listed above. I've heard good things about the A/S 3s, but almost always from folks with less than 10k miles on the tires. I tend to heavily discount opinions of general-use tires unless and until the owner has put a minimum of 10k-15k miles on them. So, thoughts? Thanks in advance for any contributions.

Last edited by williakz; 08-20-14 at 02:04 PM.
Old 08-20-14, 08:45 AM
GXAlan
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by williakz
Gents,

My Michelin Primacy MXM4s (245/45R19) are just about the the wear bars after 38k miles on my 2013 LS460. Tires were OK, but just OK. I know LS handling will never be as sharp as that found in sport sedans (even in Sport +), but I'd like to maximize what the car CAN do by selecting one of the following all-season replacement tires:

1) Michelin Primacy MXM4 (same tire as current)

2) Continental ExtremeContact DWS (had on 2007 LS460, again just OK and I HATE the color)

3) Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3.

Can anyone offer experience with or guidance on the above choices? Please keep in mind that I'm not considering any other tires and would appreciate limiting any discussion to the specific ones listed above. I've heard good things about the A/S 3s, but almost always from folks with less than 10k miles on the tires. I tend to heavily discount opinions of general-use tires unless and until the owner has put a minimum of 10k-15k miles on them. So, thoughts? Thanks in advance for any contributions.
I don't think Lexus brought 19" to the LS non-L until 2010, so the cycle of people changing tires + AS3's has been somewhat small. (And the LS isn't a high volume car like the GS or RX).

I have the AS3's with only about 3k miles on it. Previously it had Dunlop Super Sport Maxx A/S's. On other cars, I have experience with Bridgestone RE960, RE50's, Pilot Sport A/S+, Goodyear EagleGT, Continental DWS, Hankook Ventus S1 noble2.

IMHO:
- AS3's really do have excellent dry performance approaching a summer tire. Tire Rack really does show that it can be faster than summer tires on a track.
- AS3's sidewalls are more rigid and it's definitely noticeable on the freeway. It takes the glass-like LS to a very smooth ride, but not the glassy ride I had with even basic Dunlop's.
- I like it for the handling.

- DWS has really good snow performance, esp under heavy snow.
- DWS has one of the plushest rides of an UHP All Season tire. Not as much grip though. Every other UHP All Season will be harsher (and sportier).

- Ventus S1 noble2 is surprisingly good. Seems to fall inbetween the AS3/DWS. It's Tire Rack's #1 tire right now in UHP All Season. Good value.

If you look at laptimes @ Tirerack on their 328i
Dry
AS3 - 30.16
S1noble2 - 30.44
DWS - 31.01

Wet
AS3 - 33.82
S1noble2 - 34.11
DWS - 35.36

As long as you're ok with a slightly rougher ride go with the AS3's.
Old 08-20-14, 11:12 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

You may want to look at all the previous discussions about tires for our cars..here is a special link with many of the threads https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...39.9kdaqtBGdcw
Old 08-20-14, 12:22 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Continental ExtremeContact DWS (had on 2007 LS460, again just OK and I HATE the color)
I like the DWS, too. Never really gave the color much thought...... mine were black, what were yours?

Old 08-20-14, 12:34 PM
Tsmith1982
Driver

Yea? What color? I had them on my previous VW CC in 235 35 19. They were the quietest, best riding tire I could find in that size. And tread wear was excellent
Old 08-20-14, 01:06 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by CJITTY
You may want to look at all the previous discussions about tires for our cars..here is a special link with many of the threads https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...39.9kdaqtBGdcw
Not interested in previous discussions - only the current one. Reason is that I asked about AS3s which have only recently become widely available. Internet discussions become very stale very quickly, a point those putting a lot of effort into their posts tend to overlook. Sorry.

Last edited by williakz; 08-20-14 at 01:32 PM.
Old 08-20-14, 01:19 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GXAlan

I don't think Lexus brought 19" to the LS non-L until 2010, so the cycle of people changing tires + AS3's has been somewhat small. (And the LS isn't a high volume car like the GS or RX).

I have the AS3's with only about 3k miles on it.

- AS3's sidewalls are more rigid and it's definitely noticeable on the freeway. It takes the glass-like LS to a very smooth ride, but not the glassy ride I had with even basic Dunlop's.
Good points and thanks for the response. These days, a new LS wears some particularly short-lived softies out of the showroom that don't last even 15k miles. I would think there should be SOME general experience of replacement tires on the car, including the AS3. The problem with 3k miles on your AS3's is that you haven't been through a weather cycle (generally takes 10k miles and up). Therefore your (very helpful and detailed) recommendation is necessarily based less on direct experience and somewhat more on external (potentially biased) sources. That said, I will take your advice under advisement. Thanks.
Old 08-20-14, 01:28 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Tsmith1982

What color? [of Continental ExtremeContact DWS tires]
Definitely NOT black! Are you guys colorblind? Continentals exhibit a reddish brown with a sickly yellowish hue attached. They look dirty all the time. Color reminds me of the way you feel on Sunday morning after a particularly "active" Saturday night...

Agree on long tread life, but mine got quite noisy for the last 20k miles or so.

Last edited by williakz; 08-20-14 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-20-14, 01:42 PM
GXAlan
Driver

If it's just the color, 303 protectant does a nice job of

Yeah, I agree about the external sources of data but I do have (<3k miles) first hand experience with DWS, Bridgestone RE960, RE50, Pilot A/S+ and S1 noble2 on a G35.

There hasn't been a bad review of the handling of the AS3 relative to other UHP All seasons. Number one complaint is road noise compared to the DWS.
Old 08-20-14, 01:47 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the clarification. Does 303 really turn (and keep) DWS tires black? I couldn't get the brown off no matter what I tried.

I've seen many AS3 reviews, but not many with any mileage. As far as your tire experience, I've already had the DWS on an LS and the others are not in consideration for one reason or another.
Old 08-20-14, 02:48 PM
GregoryNP
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Anyone have run flats on a LS460? Tirerack has two available.
Old 08-20-14, 03:33 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Tirerack thread hijack - begone young sir.
Old 08-20-14, 06:16 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Not interested in previous discussions - only the current one. Reason is that I asked about AS3s which have only recently become widely available. Internet discussions become very stale very quickly, a point those putting a lot of effort into their posts tend to overlook. Sorry.
Sometimes new products are not always better..but ok. Good luck tho
Old 08-20-14, 06:17 PM
pmiller
Driver

I put the pilot sport a/s 3 on my 2010 LWB a couple of weeks ago. I like them a lot. Of course I only have about 1,000 miles on them. I took a recent 100 mile trip on the interstate and they were great. Rides like glass. My wife doesn't notice a dffierence, but she drive a Yukon. So, anything is better than that.
I agree with CJITTY, there is plenty of threads out there already. That is how I came to my conclusion.
Good luck!
Old 08-20-14, 06:21 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

My DWS were pretty much black - like all other tires. That looks like dirt/oxidation on the tire - did you try cleaning them and then applying tire black?

Quick Reply: Thoughts on new tires?