LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Independent pre purchase inspection

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-14, 08:06 PM
bezee
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Independent pre purchase inspection

How many of you would or did have one done on a CPO car?
Old 08-19-14, 03:39 AM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I did not. I barely inspected the car when I purchased it.
Old 08-19-14, 05:33 AM
GregoryNP
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I bought a CPO LS430 from an Illinois dealer 3 years ago. Was told there are just 2 scratches on the silver paint. Had it shipped to me in CT. When the car carrier delivered it the bill of lading that the driver had the dealer sign had marked over 20 scratches when he picked it up. Local dealer offered to buff them out for $1,000, Ill. Lexus dealer gave me $500 to help with the cost. I pocketed it and traded it within a year for my LS460.
Old 08-19-14, 05:35 AM
GregoryNP
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Who would inspect it for you? I found this company"

http://www.inspectmyride.com/vehicle...tions/about-us
Old 08-19-14, 06:45 AM
bezee
Driver

Originally Posted by GregoryNP
I bought a CPO LS430 from an Illinois dealer 3 years ago. Was told there are just 2 scratches on the silver paint. Had it shipped to me in CT. When the car carrier delivered it the bill of lading that the driver had the dealer sign had marked over 20 scratches when he picked it up. Local dealer offered to buff them out for $1,000, Ill. Lexus dealer gave me $500 to help with the cost. I pocketed it and traded it within a year for my LS460.
Even though im looking at a CPO I would feel better to have someone independent and unbiased look it over.
Old 08-19-14, 11:28 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 80 Posts

I would if the CPO car was being shipped some distance simple for my peace of mind. However, all CPO Lexus I've looked at before I purchased one were in excellent shape.
Old 08-19-14, 11:54 AM
bezee
Driver

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
I would if the CPO car was being shipped some distance simple for my peace of mind. However, all CPO Lexus I've looked at before I purchased one were in excellent shape.
I am not gonna have it shipped, I'm gonna take it home 1000 miles myself. I just thought having an unbiased eye look it over would ease my mind further. However, I wouldn't mind keeping that $ in my pocket if it really is gonna be unnecessary.
Old 08-19-14, 12:19 PM
GXAlan
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you CPO, your warranty will cover everything that doesn't have the word trim in it. So as long as there are no horrible rattles, squeaks, or exterior damage, you should be OK.

if you ship, you need to inspect in case there is damage in transit. Since you aren't, I think you're ok. Worst case, you did a 200 mile road trip.
Old 08-20-14, 08:33 AM
bezee
Driver

Originally Posted by GXAlan
If you CPO, your warranty will cover everything that doesn't have the word trim in it. So as long as there are no horrible rattles, squeaks, or exterior damage, you should be OK.

if you ship, you need to inspect in case there is damage in transit. Since you aren't, I think you're ok. Worst case, you did a 200 mile road trip.
Mechanically I wasn't too worried, I mainly wanted to check for any extensive body work but I may just skip the inspection.
Old 08-20-14, 08:54 AM
GXAlan
Driver

Originally Posted by bezee
Mechanically I wasn't too worried, I mainly wanted to check for any extensive body work but I may just skip the inspection.
actually that's not a bad option. If you only need someone to do a body work inspection it may be cheaper. Find a detailer in the area that does Cquartz finest or Opticoat Pro and ask him/her to assess the car with a paint thickness gauge to see if any panels have been repainted.
Old 08-20-14, 08:59 AM
bezee
Driver

Originally Posted by GXAlan
actually that's not a bad option. If you only need someone to do a body work inspection it may be cheaper. Find a detailer in the area that does Cquartz finest or Opticoat Pro and ask him/her to assess the car with a paint thickness gauge to see if any panels have been repainted.
I didn't know that was something offered. I will try and see if I can find someone that does that in that area.
Old 08-20-14, 10:38 AM
GXAlan
Driver

Originally Posted by bezee
I didn't know that was something offered. I will try and see if I can find someone that does that in that area.
it's not something that's routinely offered but paint thickness meters exist and professional detailers are the guys who you would trust the most to assess paint quality.

if you're going to keep it a long time, you should have the dealer discount the detailing fee and pay it toward the independent guy.

what you may do then is ask the detailer if he will come with you to a car dealer to measure paint thickness and comment on the quality and then use that to help with negotiations. Good detailers charge about $50/hour.