LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

What tires for new 2014 ls460

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-14, 02:43 PM
Vieks
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What tires for new 2014 ls460

I just purchased 19inch wheels and wondering what tires to put on them. I'm looking for a quiet smooth ride. The dealer is trying to sell me Bridgestone Turanza EL 42's but am hearing that they are not the quietest tire out there. I have to make my decision tmrw so any suggestions /advice is appreciated.
Old 07-29-14, 02:46 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I don't think I have ever read a post from anyone on this forum who was happy with the EL 42's. Here is an example -

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...e-quality.html

However, if you get a great deal on them, it's not the end of the world.
Old 07-29-14, 02:50 PM
Valley101
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What came on the vehicle, and if I were choosing I would get a high end Michelin Tire.
Old 07-30-14, 04:56 AM
philj
Driver

My 2013 F Sport came with some high end Michelin on 19 inch rims, This weekend I will check this and give you the exact model. They ride very nice.

I had a 2009 LS with 19 inch Lexus 5 spoke touring rims and I drove Continental ExtremeContact DWS. I owned 3 sets of those over the years. I live in NY and the DWS were great in the snow or rain.

As far as tires go I am not a expert but I like the DWS very much. I also like the Michelin as well. I am in a quandary about what to buy next.

It may be that if a tire is not bad it is good. Using That logic, it might make sense to buy the continental because they cost less than the Michelin. However, if the Michelin gives you slightly better handling or slightly better ride than I would probably spend the extra money and go with the Michelin.

I judge the tire by how it handles in the rain and snow and both did well. I also judge it by how it takes corners and both did well.

My next-door neighbor in the country told me that the Michelin's are better but I think for him it's about the brand name.

I wish there was some third-party that would compare the tires but I don't know if there is one.

Whatever you do please report back because it will help all of us.

Thank you

Phil
Old 07-30-14, 05:14 AM
LordBowral
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I have driven LS s with many different tyres . Michelins brand new design the Primacy 3ST leaves everything else for dead in my opinion .. Super quiet and fantastic grip with much improved ride . It's like a different car, on my 460 .
The following users liked this post:
Exec (12-14-18)
Old 07-30-14, 05:27 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

As someone who suffers through life with a set of Bridgestone EL-42's, I can safely recommend you do NOT even consider these. I would consider running on bare rim before I bought a set of these tires. They are horribly loud, and ride incredibly rough. DO NOT GET BRIDGESTONE EL-42's unless you hate yourself.
Exec (12-14-18)
Old 07-30-14, 06:00 AM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I have 18 inch wheels. Six months ago I replaced my Continental DWS with 'Continental Pure Contact with Eco Plus': 70k mileage warranty, terrific handling and the quietest tire I've ever had. They may not come in your size, BUT I think the 'Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus' do and they're rated even higher. Checkout: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...=true&filter=y Then click on each tire for sizes. I bought the same tires at Discount tires.
These both seems to be recently new tire designs. Gotta love technology advancements.

Last edited by jlawr; 07-31-14 at 10:22 AM.
Old 07-30-14, 07:06 AM
GXAlan
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For all seasons, Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 handles superbly. Continental DWS is softer and quieter.
Exec (12-14-18)
Old 07-30-14, 09:28 AM
Vieks
Driver School Candidate

I'm currently at the dealer and the choices are limited for 19 inch tires that I can have put on today. It was either the Bridgstones or Michelin energy MXV4 S8. I chose the michelins based on som feedback here and from the sales manager, it appears everyone opts for the michelins and against the bridgestones. Not sure how much they are going to charge me for these tires, I a trading my 18 inch tires and wheels for them. The new 19 inch wheels I got a steal on, paid 150 per and they were just used to drive from the dealer to the service department.

I hope I will be happy with these tires, let me know of you have any experience with them. Thanks
Old 07-30-14, 10:21 AM
bsimonds
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Vieks
I'm currently at the dealer and the choices are limited for 19 inch tires that I can have put on today. It was either the Bridgstones or Michelin energy MXV4 S8. I chose the michelins based on som feedback here and from the sales manager, it appears everyone opts for the michelins and against the bridgestones. Not sure how much they are going to charge me for these tires, I a trading my 18 inch tires and wheels for them. The new 19 inch wheels I got a steal on, paid 150 per and they were just used to drive from the dealer to the service department.

I hope I will be happy with these tires, let me know of you have any experience with them. Thanks
Only if I had a non repairable flat and no spare would I let tires "that I can have put on today" enter into my decision process.
Old 07-31-14, 05:00 AM
philj
Driver

does anybody know how do a poll? I wonder if we are allowed to request that? I think I remember seeing one.

I see that Nospinezone is on this thread maybe he can answer

Can we vote on the tires we like best (and why) and any that we do not like?

So far we have:

for Bridgestone Turanza EL 42

Nospinzone pointed to others who do not seem to like them.
Greg3852 hates them. (he gets my vote for funny post of the day)

For Continental:

PhilJ (me) like the DWS but he is not sure why
Jlawr replaced the DWS with Continental Pure Contact with Eco Plus ( I will have to look into those!

For Michelins

Valley101 votes in general for them
David Mack loves the Primacy 3ST
Vieks is testing the Michelin energy MXV4 S8
I also like Michelin

Pirelli

Jlawr also suggested the Cinturato P7 All Season Plus

I also wonder how many are good in the snow (all season)

thanks

phil
Old 07-31-14, 05:20 AM
hfahmy
Advanced

Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Do not get bridgestone el-42
Old 07-31-14, 06:08 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

You can pretty much leave the Bridgestones out. I have never heard one good thing about them.
Old 07-31-14, 07:43 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

i just switched from Continental Extreme Contact DWS to Vredestien Ultrac Sessanta tires. i really like the Vredestien tires... nice comfy ride and great handling in wet and dry weather.
Old 07-31-14, 10:26 AM
jlawr
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Here's a screen shot of Tire Rack's Survey of All the above tires:
Attached Thumbnails What tires for new 2014 ls460-tire-rack-survey.jpg  

Quick Reply: What tires for new 2014 ls460