LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

460 Brake Flush

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-14, 08:10 AM
jud149
Advanced

Received 138 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by robert1408
That 3000 psi is the pressure in the accumulator and is used to boost brake line pressure only when the brake pedal is pushed. I think this is why your Mercedes says gravity bleed and my Lexus techs say vacuum bleed. Neither method involves pumping the brake pedal with an open bleeder. That must be a no-no with servo brake systems.
Yep, you're right. Interestingly regarding my Lincoln, you can use system pressure to bleed the rear by turning on the ign. to run position to charge the accumulator, holding the brake pedal down and then opening a rear bleeder for ten seconds and repeating until air free clear fluid are seen. The front can be bleed conventionally or with a pressure bleeder.

Still don't know if I can get away with a gravity or vacuum bleed on my '11 460. I'll chat with one of the techs next time I'm at the dealer. What generated my original question was that my 460 (CPO) was given the 30K mile maintenance procedure when I bought it, even though it had just 24K on it, and the brake fluid was supposedly flushed. I'm wondering if they just did a reservoir fluid replacement or actually flushed the lines.

Last edited by jud149; 07-24-14 at 08:23 AM.
Old 07-24-14, 04:17 PM
robert1408
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

If you're wondering if they flushed the brakes, pull the service records for your car. If the 30k service was performed at the dealer, the brake flush should be there. I worked at an independent auto service chain before retiring in late 2012. It would have been unthinkable to only change the fluid in the reservoir and call that a brake flush. While there no certainty here, I believe it is very unlikely a Lexus tech would not actually flush the fluid on through the bleeders. He's being paid flag time to do it. Plus, a brake flush is a car lifted, wheels off job. If a tech isn't doing an actual flush per the work order, one or two others in the shop will know what is happening.

I can tell you that techs are somewhat competitive in a shop. Techs who shortcut and do poor or sleazy work are frowned on by the techs who are doing it right. They will tend to resent a bad tech who flag more paying hours by shortcutting jobs.
Old 07-24-14, 04:59 PM
jud149
Advanced

If you're wondering if they flushed the brakes, pull the service records for your car. If the 30k service was performed at the dealer, the brake flush should be there. I worked at an independent auto service chain before retiring in late 2012. It would have been unthinkable to only change the fluid in the reservoir and call that a brake flush. While there no certainty here, I believe it is very unlikely a Lexus tech would not actually flush the fluid on through the bleeders. He's being paid flag time to do it. Plus, a brake flush is a car lifted, wheels off job. If a tech isn't doing an actual flush per the work order, one or two others in the shop will know what is happening.

I can tell you that techs are somewhat competitive in a shop. Techs who shortcut and do poor or sleazy work are frowned on by the techs who are doing it right. They will tend to resent a bad tech who flag more paying hours by shortcutting jobs.
I would get those records at the dealer? The 30K maintenance was done per the service history for the car, just a one liner. Lexus' 30K maintenance schedule only says "replace brake fluid". Thanks for your help.
Old 07-24-14, 07:21 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You only "believe" a full brake fluid flush (including brake lines, cylinders, and bleeding) is performed. I have spoken with both a Lexus service advisor AND a tech. BOTH admitted (somewhat shamefaced) that the 30k "Lexus brake fluid service" is simply a reservoir suck-out and replacement. So please don't tell us what a brake flush IS; it IS what Lexus says it IS - and it is NOT anything like you describe.
Old 07-24-14, 08:13 PM
jud149
Advanced

Originally Posted by williakz
You only "believe" a full brake fluid flush (including brake lines, cylinders, and bleeding) is performed. I have spoken with both a Lexus service advisor AND a tech. BOTH admitted (somewhat shamefaced) that the 30k "Lexus brake fluid service" is simply a reservoir suck-out and replacement. So please don't tell us what a brake flush IS; it IS what Lexus says it IS - and it is NOT anything like you describe.
Out of curiosity how do you know every Lexus dealer does it that way?
Old 07-25-14, 08:24 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jud149
Out of curiosity how do you know every Lexus dealer does it that way?
Because I have sent an official form to each and every Lexus dealer demanding an exact description of the "brake fluid flush" procedure used in the 30k mile service bundle. Each and every Lexus dealer reported back to me that they only replace the brake fluid they suck out of the brake fluid reservoir while leaving the "old, crappy" fluid in the brake lines and cylinders.

That work for you?
Old 07-26-14, 05:15 AM
jud149
Advanced

Originally Posted by williakz
Because I have sent an official form to each and every Lexus dealer demanding an exact description of the "brake fluid flush" procedure used in the 30k mile service bundle. Each and every Lexus dealer reported back to me that they only replace the brake fluid they suck out of the brake fluid reservoir while leaving the "old, crappy" fluid in the brake lines and cylinders.

That work for you?
So you wrote to every Lexus dealer? Would that be just the USA or the world? That every agency responded is quite remarkable. And even more remarkable is when one considers the cost of postage, envelope and survey form requests, your time and then tracking of all replies.

This being the case, you would have written to JM Lexus in S. Florida, the largest Lexus dealer in the USA and from whom I purchased my '11 460 last August, and who did the 30K scheduled mtce work, including the "brake fluid replacement" as it's called by Lexus. I'd be curious as to who replied. I currently have a call in to one of the service managers at JM concerning this subject and I'll be sure to advise the response.

FWIW, I just want to be sure what brake fluid mtce procedures have been done on my car. If a flush has not been performed, I'll either do it myself or have it done.
Old 07-26-14, 06:03 AM
robert1408
Intermediate

I would get those records at the dealer? The 30K maintenance was done per the service history for the car, just a one liner. Lexus' 30K maintenance schedule only says "replace brake fluid". Thanks for your help.
You're right, the schedule says "replace brake fluid". It's a matter of definitions here. The reservoir contains only some of the fluid in the system. To a knowledgeable service writer and any tech, "replace…" is synonymous with flush.

As to getting any documentation that the brake service was actually performed, I suggest talking first to a service writer and explain your concerns. Then ask to speak with the service manager about your car. It will probably come down to trusting their answers.
Old 07-26-14, 09:02 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

I guess my Toyota dealer does it differently (and properly). My car went on a hoist and I saw them fiddling with the lines. The service took nearly two hours. Sucking the fluid out of the reservoir with a turkey baster would not have involved any of that.

Williakz: Your claims are a little wild and causes us to question credibility.
Old 07-26-14, 10:21 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

I currently have a call in to one of the service managers at JM concerning this subject and I'll be sure to advise the response.

FWIW, I just want to be sure what brake fluid mtce procedures have been done on my car. If a flush has not been performed, I'll either do it myself or have it done.
You have provided the desired response (and initiated the desired action) in answer to my admittedly somewhat hyperbolic claim. I DID, in fact, talk to ONE service advisor and ONE technician at my local Lexus dealer. My slight exaggeration of this rather diminutive "truth nugget" into a claim of global proportions was designed to motivate truth-seekers like yourself to get off your butts, shelve your erstwhile "beliefs", and find out just WTF is going on with the pricey Lexus services you are paying for. Good for you on both your skepticism regarding my claims and, MORE IMPORTANTLY, your new-found skepticism applied to your friendly Lexus dealer. I await your presentation of lessons learned.

Last edited by williakz; 07-26-14 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-28-14, 08:43 AM
jud149
Advanced

Not surprisingly, full brake fluid flush per JM Lexus Svc. Mgr.
Old 07-28-14, 12:24 PM
robert1408
Intermediate

Good deal! I believed that would be the case. As a minor point, a tech will usually suction out the reservoir and refill it with fresh fluid before bleeding.
Old 07-28-14, 12:54 PM
jud149
Advanced

Good deal! I believed that would be the case. As a minor point, a tech will usually suction out the reservoir and refill it with fresh fluid before bleeding.
That is what he said. First replace fluid in reservoir and then activate abs pump with the tool which will flush the lines when bleeders are opened, obviously keeping the reservoir topped off during the process. They get $159 for this service.
Old 07-28-14, 01:01 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

They get $159 for this service.
You know, for the amount of work involved, that's probably the best bargain from Lexus service!
Old 07-28-14, 05:19 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

And now you know. Congratulations!

Quick Reply: 460 Brake Flush