LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Car Care

Old 06-19-14, 04:19 AM
triniexr
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mdorn98
Glad I found this thread. Not to thread jack but my 08 ls had tons of swirls from the previous owner. Its now only hand washed but the damage had been done. Would a DA polisher along with some meguiars compound and polish be enough to at least lessen the marks?
If you don't know what your doing take it to a professional. The damage you can cause may cost you a paint job.

If the swirls are deep enough, you would need to use a clay bar, compound, swirl remover, paint sealant, and wax. Each step also requires a different type of pad.

Detailed Image and Auto Geek has some informative articles on their website on how to do these.
Old 06-19-14, 04:30 AM
triniexr
Driver

I recently detailed my car with these items and am still not happy. I didn't get all the swirls out. I used the buffer attached with a wool pad @ 3000 rpm using the G3 and G10. I then used the zymol with a terry bonnet @ 2500 rpm. Paint sealant went on then wax both one after the other by hand, to come off I used the buffer @ 2000 rpm and a foam pad. In all, a 6 - 7 hour process.
Attached Thumbnails Car Care-g3-400.jpg   Car Care-cfs-g10-finishing-compound-1litre-l.jpg   Car Care-weather-shield.jpg   Car Care-g7014j_gcpastewaxcopy.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 06-19-14, 08:27 AM
PatsSoxfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SBlexus
Yes I'm familiar with mr. Carwash and they do a great job, same type of business I'm into. We sold a wash to them in the Tampa Bay Area a few years back.
That's very interesting. It's nice to know that there is someone else here that has experienced Mr. Carwash. The rest of you don't know what you are missing. I typically take my car there 2-3 times a week depending on the weather. Most of the time, I just go through the express option since the inside of the car does not need cleaning. In this case, the owner of the car stays in the vehicle and goes through the system. If I want the inside cleaned as well, then I leave it outside of the wash area and their staff takes over, vacuums the inside, and drive it through the cycle. After the cycle, they bring the car to the side and work on wiping and cleaning the car's interior.
Old 06-19-14, 10:25 AM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by triniexr
I recently detailed my car with these items and am still not happy. I didn't get all the swirls out. I used the buffer attached with a wool pad @ 3000 rpm using the G3 and G10. I then used the zymol with a terry bonnet @ 2500 rpm. Paint sealant went on then wax both one after the other by hand, to come off I used the buffer @ 2000 rpm and a foam pad. In all, a 6 - 7 hour process.
What type of polisher did you use? What type of pad? For the compound, you need a cutting pad.
Wool pad will NOT remove the swirls and will actually introduce more. As for the terry bonnet, even worse...it too will introduce swirls.

It is All about the pad/product combo.

I recommend a Porter Cable 7424x random orbital.

If removing swirls, I recommend an orange CCS Lake country pad with your compound. available at Autogeek.com. Put on with orange pad, remove with microfiber towel. Do a google or YouTube search.

IF you are happy with the results, then move to a wax.

For the wax, use a white CCS Lake Country pad to apply the wax, remove with Microfiber towel.

Do a search for these videos on YouTube. You can learn a lot about how to remove swirls and will see some amazing results once you learn this easy process.

You will NEVER run your car through another automated flapping...spinning car wash again because you will see the fruits of your labor when you are done. Those who have dark or black cars and run them through the washers, I can understand if you like it, but look at the reflection in the sun, swirl city!! Swirls dull the paint and when you see a dark car with no swirls, you will know the difference and see the wow factor in your paint.
Attached Thumbnails Car Care-image.jpg