LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2008 LS 460 wind noise from front windows

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-14, 08:32 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

I'm going to try replacing the plastic front window triangles on my 2008 LS600hL with the newer, finned version. I only get wind noise from cross-winds, and the sound always comes from the side of the car that's away from the wind direction. To me, this seems to indicate that turbulence is the problem, not an actual air leak. If so, the finned version will hopefully cure the problem, as they have done for some other members. I'll let everyone know if that solves the problem.
Old 06-20-14, 08:47 AM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Rick, try putting masking tape over the triangles and cover the exposed edges to see of this helps. This will eliminate having to put the Gooped up mcraney fix under the triangles which most felt the wind was getting UNDER the triangles and causing the noise.

If you still get wind noise then it may be the turbulence and the raised triangle NEW piece may help. I really didn't have the wind noise, but put the new raised triangle things on, just for good measure. Didn't make it quieter, but looks kinda cool now! Mines a 2010 LS600hL

I also don't have the pinched seals...yet, I will now keep an eye out for them.
Old 06-20-14, 08:54 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Originally Posted by slimjimtel
Rick, try putting masking tape over the triangles and cover the exposed edges to see of this helps. This will eliminate having to put the Gooped up mcraney fix under the triangles which most felt the wind was getting UNDER the triangles and causing the noise.

If you still get wind noise then it may be the turbulence and the raised triangle NEW piece may help. I really didn't have the wind noise, but put the new raised triangle things on, just for good measure. Didn't make it quieter, but looks kinda cool now! Mines a 2010 LS600hL

I also don't have the pinched seals...yet, I will now keep an eye out for them.
Sounds like a good idea. I'm generally trying to avoid the "gooped up" mcraney fix if all I need to do is swap out the plastic pieces.

I'm not sure what I will do differently based on the result of the masking tape "experiment," though. If the masking tape test solves the cross-wind noise, does that mean (in your opinion) that I SHOULD or SHOULD NOT proceed with the mcraney fix? I'm thinking the new triangles, if properly installed, may help resolve the wind noise whether the root cause is turbulance or a leak under the triangles... Maybe I'm foolishly optimistic...
Old 06-20-14, 11:44 AM
slimjimtel
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

If the tape reduces the wind noise, then you know that the wind is getting UNDER the triangle. If it DOESN'T reduce the wind noise then you have a turbulence problem.

Either way I would put the new triangles on, reason being, when you remove the old triangles, the clips will break and render them now useless.

For 34.00 from Sewell...go for it, get the new ones.
Old 06-23-14, 07:37 AM
riknchar
Instructor

I went ahead and replaced the plastic triangles over the weekend with the newer, finned versions. For those who are contemplating doing this job, I just wanted to report that it was very easy to do and it does seem to have reduced the wind noise.

I was able to pry the old triangles off using only my fingers. I started from the top and gently pulled the plastic piece away from the window frame. The adhesive slowly peeled away, and the old piece came off with no problem. It did leave quite a bit of adhesive residue on the car, which I was able to carefully remove with my fingernail and a small razor blade, followed by a thorough cleaning. The new triangles come ready to "peel and stick" onto the window, and they were easy to put on once the old ones were off and the window area was clean.

Overally, the new triangles look great, and in my limited tests so far, I seem to have much less wind noise. I'm still waiting for a windy day to check the cross-wind noise (which was the main problem), but cruising at a steady 70 mph on a relatively calm day, I got no wind noise whatsoever from the front windows. I'll update the report when I have a chance to see how the sound is with a strong cross-wind.

Overall, a very easy do-it-yourself job and it seems worthwhile.
Old 06-29-14, 09:46 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

After trying to isolate the noise problem with tape, I cannot find the problem area. Taped off everywhere even the whole door. I did find the issue in the pictures. Think it could play a part?

2008 LS 460 wind noise from front windows-20140629_104154.jpg

2008 LS 460 wind noise from front windows-20140629_104202.jpg
Old 06-30-14, 08:00 AM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

[QUOTE=greg3852;8604054]After trying to isolate the noise problem with tape, I cannot find the problem area. Taped off everywhere even the whole door. I did find the issue in the pictures. Think it could play a part?

Try taping up the sunroof. How do your window seals look? That pic of the seal doesn't look right, but if you taped up the whole door and still getting wind noise it's coming from somewhere else.
Old 07-01-14, 07:50 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Originally Posted by riknchar
I went ahead and replaced the plastic triangles over the weekend with the newer, finned versions. For those who are contemplating doing this job, I just wanted to report that it was very easy to do and it does seem to have reduced the wind noise.

I was able to pry the old triangles off using only my fingers. I started from the top and gently pulled the plastic piece away from the window frame. The adhesive slowly peeled away, and the old piece came off with no problem. It did leave quite a bit of adhesive residue on the car, which I was able to carefully remove with my fingernail and a small razor blade, followed by a thorough cleaning. The new triangles come ready to "peel and stick" onto the window, and they were easy to put on once the old ones were off and the window area was clean.

Overally, the new triangles look great, and in my limited tests so far, I seem to have much less wind noise. I'm still waiting for a windy day to check the cross-wind noise (which was the main problem), but cruising at a steady 70 mph on a relatively calm day, I got no wind noise whatsoever from the front windows. I'll update the report when I have a chance to see how the sound is with a strong cross-wind.

Overall, a very easy do-it-yourself job and it seems worthwhile.
*** UPDATE ***
Now that I've had a chance to drive my LS600hL on several windy days, I can say with certainty that the replacement plastic triangles have definitely reduced (but have not eliminated) the cross-wind noise. With the stereo off and stiff cross-winds, I can still hear a small amount of wind noise, but I'd say the noise reduction has been in the 70-80% range by simply replacing the old flat triangles with the new (2013-14) plastic triangles (at a cost of ~ $35).

Note that I did not use the "goop" to fill in the cracks, as suggested by the McCraney fix--I simply pulled the old triangles off, cleaned off the residue, and stuck the new triangles on.

I'm satisfied now with the overall silence in the cabin, even on windy days. I pretty much always use the stereo while driving, so the only time I can hear any wind noise is on a very windy day if I turn the stereo off (which I don't).

Food for thought for all those on the fence about replacing their plastic triangles...
Old 07-01-14, 10:06 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Does anyone have the part number for these?
Old 07-04-14, 07:16 AM
Augs300
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dx3
Does anyone have the part number for these?
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...iy-w-pics.html
there you go sir!
Old 05-14-16, 08:35 PM
tcarroll2
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Big Thank You!

I just performed this fix. I had dealt with this noise for two years dreading the fact that the dealership told me it was a $400 fix.

I had this repaired before while the car was under extended warranty, but I had to call the customer satisfaction line and complain to them that it was not cosmetic (the dealership said Lexus wouldn't pay for it because it was cosmetic, but the service manager told me there was a TSB on this very issue, so I called the number and they relented and paid for the repair) and I told them if wind is coming in, then rain can come in too.

Anyway, it did it again after a couple of years and I knew it was going to be out of pocket this time. But, I read this thread, drove down to the local autoparts store and bought a can of spray silicone. Sprayed it in the whole track and then wiped it out. The gasket no longer folds over and my car is quiet again. These FAQ's and DIY's are a nice addition. I haven't been on here in several years and I don't recall seeing these before.
Old 05-17-16, 04:35 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

is silicone safe on rubber, the spray would help right away but lets say in the long run since its a kind of a oil and car under sun would act as a catalyst to head up the rubber and deteriorate faster?

i noticed my glass has the similar issues - i saw a 2015 in the dealership same problem

Originally Posted by tcarroll2
I just performed this fix. I had dealt with this noise for two years dreading the fact that the dealership told me it was a $400 fix.

I had this repaired before while the car was under extended warranty, but I had to call the customer satisfaction line and complain to them that it was not cosmetic (the dealership said Lexus wouldn't pay for it because it was cosmetic, but the service manager told me there was a TSB on this very issue, so I called the number and they relented and paid for the repair) and I told them if wind is coming in, then rain can come in too.

Anyway, it did it again after a couple of years and I knew it was going to be out of pocket this time. But, I read this thread, drove down to the local autoparts store and bought a can of spray silicone. Sprayed it in the whole track and then wiped it out. The gasket no longer folds over and my car is quiet again. These FAQ's and DIY's are a nice addition. I haven't been on here in several years and I don't recall seeing these before.
Old 05-18-16, 08:13 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Originally Posted by UZ214
is silicone safe on rubber, the spray would help right away but lets say in the long run since its a kind of a oil and car under sun would act as a catalyst to head up the rubber and deteriorate faster?

i noticed my glass has the similar issues - i saw a 2015 in the dealership same problem
Spray silicone lubricant is an accepted method of keeping rubber pliable and serviceable. I learned this trick with my Ford Mustang Convertible. The owners manual specifically directed the owner to buy a can of Ford Silicone Lubricant to spray on all the convertible tops various rubber seals, gaskets etc. That was 27 years ago and those seals are still looking great. I've since used it on all my gaskets and seals in my other cars. I still use the Ford product, just because I wonder if it's better suited for this purpose than other generic cans of silicone lube.

There are several studies comparing true silicone lube to other products containing silicone (such as Armor All). MSDS sheets show the differences. Products such as Armor All, contain other petroleum distillates that can be harmful to rubber.

Last edited by roadfrog; 05-18-16 at 08:19 AM.
Old 05-19-16, 02:55 AM
whitewater
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by is150
I am having the same problem but it's not from the triangle piece by the rearview mirror. Mine is from the gasket surrounding the front driver door window. When I put the window up, the window folds over a part of the gasket toward the top edge causing the wind noise. If I hold the gasket back and put the window up, no noise. I've tried re heating and forming the fold but no luck. I'll be buying a replacement from Lexus which is about $90.

I just had my drivers window fixed by the dealer for the same issue. Tried a heat gun to reset the rubber memory with no luck.

sounds better but think I'll tackle the little triangle next as I still get some wind noise when there is a cross wind while driving.
Old 05-19-16, 08:06 AM
sax2man2
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wind Noise

Hey I have done the wind fix and it seemed to help a lot. But found something I saw that corrected my issue.
as I watched the window glass go up, the glass track was a little off and didn't seal correctly but when you looked at just the glass it looked correct except for a little twist in the rubber seal. The glass was sliding back and forth as it went up, just a little but enough to cause a problem
so I had the glass position corrected and now no wind noise. Hope this helps someone.

Quick Reply: 2008 LS 460 wind noise from front windows