LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

16 Months of 2013 LS460

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-14, 07:20 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 16 Months of 2013 LS460

Well, it's been a while. The car just went into the dealer for its 30k mile checkup. Based on the service manager's report, it seems the LS's 2013 major-minor refresh might just have missed fixing the same (few) issues that plagued my 2007 LS CPO. To wit:

1) Brake actuator replaced - audible and foot-felt clicking on light brake application and again on let-off. Began at 20k miles and drove me crazy in stop and go traffic, but I thought I'd witness the part's devolution first-hand. (same problem with 2007 LS)

2) Front brake rotors warped (pads are fine) producing shuddering when braking from high speed (55mph+). And I'm not a heavy accelerator, speeder, or braker. Dealer says he'll turn them for me, but warns I'll be back in 5k for rotor replacement once they warp again. (same problem with 2007). Believe I'll live with it this time until the pads are gone, then replace the ultralight OEM rotors with heavier, less CAFE-compliant aftermarket ones.

3) Uncomfortable driver's seat (I don't ride shotgun, but same issues would apply to passenger's seat). There's even a nifty new little sensor that is placed PERFECTLY to prod you right in the spine of your lower back. Result? Discoloration of the seat leather pinched between the senor and my tender backside. Also the seat cushioning is just about shot - it has thinned and flattened so the driver's bucket has become a bench. And I'm not that big a guy. (same problem as 2007 made worse by sensor placement). Dealer searching for cushion replacement, but found nowhere in Lexus stock.

4) The rear passenger door panel just decided to pop loose at the window one day (heat, fastener failure, etc.?) I guess anything is possible, but this is a new one on me. (NOT a 2007 problem).

5) The lower dash seems to be very loosely attached or the attachment has somehow come loose. Plugging in an OBDII just feels all wrong when the whole panel shifts away from you as you press it home. (NOT a 2007 problem).

6) The AC programming is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG! I understand that Lexus needs to gain every little bit of efficiency so that I can ride around with a full-sized spare mounted on a fifth factory aluminum wheel, but ... On AUTO, the AC now - by Lexus design, I've been informed - goes directly into recirculation mode and NEVER switches to fresh air intake. With a full complement of passengers heading home after 18 holes in the Alabama heat, we now enjoy perfectly dehumidified and temperature controlled air that STINKS to high heaven! (NOT a 2007 problem - AC was biased to fresh air, not recirc). Do you think oxygen/carbon dioxide levels go into the red zone with four guys sucking wind for an hour or two in recirc mode? Just asking...

So, not a great year for the NEW flagship, AFAIC. I've initiated corporate-level official complaints on each of theses items (except for dash and door panel), and hopefully the next greatest LS will be better than this one. That'll be in late 2016, early 2017, right? No biggie - what's three years when you're driving the Ultimate Driving Mach - oops! I meant to say the Pursuit of Perfect Relentlessness, of course.
Old 06-02-14, 08:18 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow, sounds like first year bugs on the refresh. Sorry to hear about the problems, good luck on getting them fix.
Old 06-02-14, 08:38 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

I am surprised Lexus programmed the AC to stay in the recirculate mode. That is definitely wrong.

I will let them off the hook with the warped rotors. If you are not driving the car aggressively, then some idiot mechanic is using an air wrench to tighten the lug nuts. This must be done by hand with a good torque wrench.
Old 06-02-14, 09:45 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

I have carefully vetted the NON-DEALER folks I allow to work on my LS. ALL tire balancing/rotation cycles are finished by hand-torquing of the lug nuts. Similarly, oil changes are ONLY performed with 0W-20 synth and factory filters and drain plug gaskets supplied by ME. 10/20/30 torquing is then used on drain cap/filter housing/drain plug respectively.

So while you can let Lexus slide on the rotors, I can't. I had two sets of them replaced on my 2007. The first set was already badly warped BEFORE I bought the CPO with 18k miles on it. The 2013 needs new ones at 30-35k miles depending on whether wasting time on turning the OEMs is included. So, the company is most definitely ON THE HOOK. By the way, ALL the service people at my Lexus dealer groan when they hear ONCE AGAIN of another LS460 with brake shudder. They know the drill inside out by now.

P.S. On the AC, apparently Lexus did the reprogramming right across the line. Lots of people *****ing about it online and to the dealers according to my service manager. The system in my ES350 loaner (brand new 11k miles) operates just like the one in my LS. It always hurts worst when it's your friends doing you wrong!

Last edited by williakz; 06-02-14 at 09:51 PM.
Old 06-03-14, 04:48 AM
philj
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

re On AUTO, the AC now - by Lexus design, I've been informed - goes directly into recirculation mode and NEVER switches to fresh air intake.

I have a 2013 LS

As I recall there is a button you can push to select where the air comes from inside or outside. Perhaps I do not understand your issue but when I drive through the Holland Tunnel or when I am in City traffic I press the button with a reverse arrow on it which I always assumed was recirculate.

Also after the car reached the correct temperature when I am on the highway I crack the sun roof. I still get the the same MPG and there is a feeling of fresh are in the car.

I hope this helps.
Old 06-03-14, 06:07 AM
peteybabes
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Man this really sucks especially for a flaghip car! After experiencing some of 2014 S-class vehicles i'd have expected this car to perform better. . .

I guess it's another reason i will upgrade to a 2012 instead of the 2013+ cars in a few. . .(i don't like the interior look in my opinion anyway)

I would have expected the cars to get better, but unfortunately it seems as though they are having less time in the R&D room and sort of pushing these cars through a little too quickly. All we can hope is that this 2016/2017/2018 redesign seriously improves some things and brings them back on top. . .
Old 06-03-14, 06:29 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

This all seems pretty minor (to me at least)......but I'm jaded from my 7 series which was PLAGUED with issues.

As for the rotors.....torquing makes NO difference....they warp. PERIOD. That is common with the Lexus. I replaced mine with VERY cheap Bendix branded ones and that solved it.

The lower dash seems to be very loosely attached or the attachment has somehow come loose. Plugging in an OBDII just feels all wrong when the whole panel shifts away from you as you press it home. (NOT a 2007 problem).
My 08 is like that. It's weird and I'm not sure why it was designed this way. there is at least a half inch upward movement if you push up on the panel. Doesn't rattle, so I don't care, but still....
Old 06-03-14, 06:48 AM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Well, I only have the limited experience of my 2007 LS. I have 73K miles on it and have had no issues with the rotors warping. I have never had the dealer remove or rotate the tires. I'm wondering if they rotated your tires without your knowledge. I know I have to tell them not to rotate or even adjust the tire pressures because I have them where I want them.

After about 50K miles I changed out the stock pads for Akebono ceramic pads.
Old 06-03-14, 08:13 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Phil, I'm aware there are workarounds (all of which DEFEAT the stated purpose of the Recirc-biased programming change Lexus made - to SAVE FUEL). Unfortunately, I had a 2007 LS460 in which you set the temp ONCE, hit Auto ONCE, and then FOREVER forgot you even had an HVAC system. Big downgrade to have to punch buttons all the time to get CLOSE to the way things used to operate (perfectly). And, even worse, having the system on recirc all the time allows the build-up of mold in the system, causing it to stink when it is subsequently started. Eventually, you must have the whole system flushed at considerable time and expense. There are threads on every new model forum here about AC start-up stink due to the new recirc-biased AC program. Oh, and guess what Lexus officially advises to avoid the problem THEY created? Manually put the system into "fresh air intake" mode before stopping the car. Wanna guess which mode the OLD system was (almost always) in whenever you stopped?

Petey, as initially stated, these were basically the same issues I had with my 2007 LS, the first model year of the LS460. That the brake actuator problem is still present is telling. Likewise with the brakes. The AC stupidity is a direct result of Lexus seeking quick and dirty means to comply with government CAFE standards at the expense of its customer's comfort and convenience. BTW, this will be a continuing theme for ALL car manufacturers for the foreseeable future.

Nopsin, I only take the car into the dealer on 30k intervals. All tire rotations and oil changes, as noted, are done by my "crew." Why the pad change? Better stopping power, noise/dust reduction?

RF, "minor" huh? You only can't brake smoothly, can't breathe in it, and can't sit in it. I guess the stereo's nice and the engine hasn't seized, come to think of it. Yeah, minor.

Last edited by williakz; 06-03-14 at 08:39 AM.
Old 06-03-14, 10:15 AM
GXtoGStoLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am so glad you posted about the A/C issue. I have had my 2014 for three months and have noticed the moldy smell. I thought I was going crazy! I do live in a hotter part of the country and attributed it to that, well, after accusing my 15-year-old of leaving food in the car somewhere (he would be just lazy enough to do this, so it wasn't totally implausible, LOL). I guess I'll start hitting that fresh air button. Ugh.
Old 06-03-14, 10:51 AM
LexFather

Unfortunately while the LS is by far the vehicle on average to have the lowest amount of defects/issues they are not perfect. And some LS vehicles for whatever reason will have more issues than others and maybe you have one of those cars.

Hopefully it all gets taken care of.
Old 06-03-14, 11:28 AM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GXtoGStoLS
I am so glad you posted about the A/C issue. I have had my 2014 for three months and have noticed the moldy smell. I thought I was going crazy! I do live in a hotter part of the country and attributed it to that, well, after accusing my 15-year-old of leaving food in the car somewhere (he would be just lazy enough to do this, so it wasn't totally implausible, LOL). I guess I'll start hitting that fresh air button. Ugh.
Make sure you initiate a formal complaint with Lexus corporate through your dealer. I doubt Lex will do anything, but at least they won't be able to claim no knowledge of the consequences their design decisions have on their customers.

BTW, there's a bunch of threads around here that suggest that simply punching the fresh air button is not sufficient to prevent the mold forming. Instead, they recommend raising the set point temp very high to "dry out" the system AND/OR playing with the RTI to get into the CLIMATE screen and turning off the AC compressor manually. So, to keep your AC functioning on hot days you either have to turn it into a heater or turn it off. SHEESH!
Old 06-03-14, 02:13 PM
williakz
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexFather

...some LS vehicles for whatever reason will have more issues than others and maybe you have one of those cars.
Nope, I've had TWO of those cars as a matter of fact. So that's two out of two for me. As far as I can tell by the many user experiences reported here and elsewhere, the major issues I've had are not hen's teeth nor are they the ravings of an irrational perfectionist; instead they are routinely experienced and reported by many, many Lexus owners online, at dealerships, and by the consumer-focused automotive press.

To recap:

Failing/failed brake actuator - EXTREMELY well-known problem here as is the fix: swap out the LS460 part with the better LS600h one.

Brake rotor warpage - again EXTREMELY well-known problem here with many owners choosing to either upgrade brake components or to fight with their Lexus dealers to have the OEM rotors resurfaced or replaced.

AC Recirculation-biased program to save fuel/reduce emissions. Government-induced, Lexus approved FAIL again EXTREMELY well-known here on every new model forum that ruins the driving experiences of many, many Lexus owners. As the hot weather sinks in, you'll see more and more reports of the problems associated with the Lexus AC "fix."

So, no I don't believe I have "one of those cars." I believe I have one of those cars.
Old 06-03-14, 02:56 PM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by williakz
Nope, I've had TWO of those cars as a matter of fact. So that's two out of two for me. As far as I can tell by the many user experiences reported here and elsewhere, the major issues I've had are not hen's teeth nor are they the ravings of an irrational perfectionist; instead they are routinely experienced and reported by many, many Lexus owners online, at dealerships, and by the consumer-focused automotive press.

To recap:

Failing/failed brake actuator - EXTREMELY well-known problem here as is the fix: swap out the LS460 part with the better LS600h one.

Brake rotor warpage - again EXTREMELY well-known problem here with many owners choosing to either upgrade brake components or to fight with their Lexus dealers to have the OEM rotors resurfaced or replaced.

AC Recirculation-biased program to save fuel/reduce emissions. Government-induced, Lexus approved FAIL again EXTREMELY well-known here on every new model forum that ruins the driving experiences of many, many Lexus owners. As the hot weather sinks in, you'll see more and more reports of the problems associated with the Lexus AC "fix."

So, no I don't believe I have "one of those cars." I believe I have one of those cars.
I feel your pain with the brake actuator, I had a GS460 and it shared the same part with the LS and mine had to be replaced at 20k miles.

Why don't you leave the button that selects fresh air or recirculated air on auto? I have a 2013 and when its on auto it switches between the two unless I have the temp set to "LO" in which case it always keeps it recirculating to keep the temp as low as possible. If it is set to 70 it will switch in between outside and inside air which is how all my past Lexus cars have been AFAIK.

Interesting to read about the seat though... I am a big guy and the seat is holding up great (except for the blue rubbing off my blue jeans onto the flaxen leather. What sensor are you talking about? I am actually really curious, do you have a picture of what you are talking about?

Sorry to hear about all the issues you are having, if you lived in my area I would set you up with my service guy but unfortunately that is not the case.

-Joe
Old 06-03-14, 02:58 PM
jamodeo

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Also, is DUAL turned on or off?

-Joe

Quick Reply: 16 Months of 2013 LS460