LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Need opinions on purchasing LS460

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-14, 06:45 PM
Black31385
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Need opinions on purchasing LS460

Hello, everyone

I been an owner of a 2001 Lexus LS430 for 8 years now and love this car very much. My girlfriend love this car so much that she wants to sell her 09 Honda accord and wants this car. So I am looking to purchase either a 04+ LS430 with low mileage or 07+ LS460 with high mileage. My question is if I purchase a LS460 with 100,000 is this a bad ideal. I hear that they come with timing chain instead of a timing belt. So is there anything that I would have to get replaced because of the high mileage? Thanks and any help is appreciated
Old 04-13-14, 06:59 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...o-a-460-a.html

The timing chain isn't a major issue on the 460 but, after 100,000 miles, some other things are. Unless you can DIY issues like brakes, suspension, electronics, etc, you could be in for some hefty repair bills. All that technology doesn't come cheap and its very expensive to fix!
Old 04-13-14, 08:10 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...o-a-460-a.html

The timing chain isn't a major issue on the 460 but, after 100,000 miles, some other things are. Unless you can DIY issues like brakes, suspension, electronics, etc, you could be in for some hefty repair bills. All that technology doesn't come cheap and its very expensive to fix!
What are these known electronic issues are you referring to after a 100,000 miles?
Old 04-13-14, 09:09 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Reported electronics issues (which I would consider "major") include Nav unit display unresponsive - $7,000, HDD failure - same, ML amp - $3000, brake actuator - $3500, trunk lid junction block, $1200, lumbar support motor - $1250, etc. Given these potential out-of-warranty repairs and the other, well known, non-electronic issues, the Club Lexus mantra "get an extended warranty" applies but may not be an option for a 100,000 mile car.
Old 04-13-14, 10:01 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Reported electronics issues (which I would consider "major") include Nav unit display unresponsive - $7,000, HDD failure - same, ML amp - $3000, brake actuator - $3500, trunk lid junction block, $1200, lumbar support motor - $1250, etc. Given these potential out-of-warranty repairs and the other, well known, non-electronic issues, the Club Lexus mantra "get an extended warranty" applies but may not be an option for a 100,000 mile car.
Or..enjoy the car well past 100k miles and never have a major issue like many folks have experienced. Remember, when it comes to forums, most people who have an issue will search online and then get funneled to a site like our beloved CL to vent or ask about their issue. People who never have a problem and not into forums won't post up things that are going great. So the amount of LS owners who never have issues far outweigh those who do on average. And, Any car that costs well over $75k new is not going to have parts at AutoZone ready to go in most cases. You gotta pay to play. This car is an advanced automobile and there is a reason it costs as much as it does. If you are worried about things that may require fixing, the Camry LE is a great option to consider.
Old 04-13-14, 11:30 PM
Black31385
Intermediate

If it's mechanical issues that's fine but if it's a lot of electrical issues I don't think I can handle all that. The ls430 is not updated like the LS460 so I guess with the 460 I would be looking at electrical issues rather than mechanical. Does anyone else here have a LS460 with over 100k miles? If so have anybody had any issues?
Old 04-13-14, 11:34 PM
Black31385
Intermediate

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Or..enjoy the car well past 100k miles and never have a major issue like many folks have experienced. Remember, when it comes to forums, most people who have an issue will search online and then get funneled to a site like our beloved CL to vent or ask about their issue. People who never have a problem and not into forums won't post up things that are going great. So the amount of LS owners who never have issues far outweigh those who do on average. And, Any car that costs well over $75k new is not going to have parts at AutoZone ready to go in most cases. You gotta pay to play. This car is an advanced automobile and there is a reason it costs as much as it does. If you are worried about things that may require fixing, the Camry LE is a great option to consider.
Yeah the camry would probably be a good option if was worried about price on fixing but, I'd rather own another LS430 than a brand new Camry. The LS spoiled me now every time I get in another car I am just not satisfied.
Old 04-13-14, 11:49 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Check out this thread here for cars over 100k miles
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...our-ls460.html
Old 04-14-14, 06:04 AM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Black31385
If it's mechanical issues that's fine but if it's a lot of electrical issues I don't think I can handle all that. The ls430 is not updated like the LS460 so I guess with the 460 I would be looking at electrical issues rather than mechanical. Does anyone else here have a LS460 with over 100k miles? If so have anybody had any issues?
I had over 149K on my SWB 460 with NO electrical or electronic issues. The car was solid other than low required maintenance and the ownership experience was great like the LS430 that had over 100K as well. Nothing is perfect, things happen... the best thing is do your homework on the car you want, be forensic and thorough when researching. Knowing the cars history, getting inspected etc, one can't phone it in when buying a car, it is not like buying a pair shoes. Put the same time and energy into one the biggest purchases you (may) will make like you would whatever hobby you are passionate about. This will keep unwanted surprises away, I hear people say it's a Lexus so it should be fine, I'm guilty of saying "it's a Lexus" BUT its a pre-owned car not new so using common sense goes along with that comment.

To add to CJITTY's comment about people reporting issues, a lot of these OP's will post a thread about an issue and never follow up what the resolution to bring closure to the issue and add value to the community for future reference. Last when people post about issue no one here really knows the cars history but the owner (if they even know) so a lot variables but everyone active here will jump into help if they can.
Old 04-14-14, 09:50 PM
shrikelex
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Black31385
I got 108 on mine have had it 3K, no issues, dealer did the 105K maintenance package deal, replacing all fluids, starter, battery, couple of the fans in the motor, bearings and dynamic something were already replaced, car runs like its new, I can still smoke the rear tires if I want too. I'm new in this game, some other members have had there cars way longer than me, but from what I know, its the LS you buy and how it was maintained or maybe its what the car is been thru, miles don't really matter, its not a Beemer, I never really was looking to get a Lexus, was going for my 4th 7 series, but now that I know, I don't think I'd go back to anything else.
Old 04-14-14, 11:46 PM
Black31385
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Tee
I had over 149K on my SWB 460 with NO electrical or electronic issues. The car was solid other than low required maintenance and the ownership experience was great like the LS430 that had over 100K as well. Nothing is perfect, things happen... the best thing is do your homework on the car you want, be forensic and thorough when researching. Knowing the cars history, getting inspected etc, one can't phone it in when buying a car, it is not like buying a pair shoes. Put the same time and energy into one the biggest purchases you (may) will make like you would whatever hobby you are passionate about. This will keep unwanted surprises away, I hear people say it's a Lexus so it should be fine, I'm guilty of saying "it's a Lexus" BUT its a pre-owned car not new so using common sense goes along with that comment.

To add to CJITTY's comment about people reporting issues, a lot of these OP's will post a thread about an issue and never follow up what the resolution to bring closure to the issue and add value to the community for future reference. Last when people post about issue no one here really knows the cars history but the owner (if they even know) so a lot variables but everyone active here will jump into help if they can.

This was the kind of answer I was looking for. May I ask what were the low required maintenance if you don't mind sharing
Old 04-14-14, 11:53 PM
Black31385
Intermediate

Originally Posted by shrikelex
I got 108 on mine have had it 3K, no issues, dealer did the 105K maintenance package deal, replacing all fluids, starter, battery, couple of the fans in the motor, bearings and dynamic something were already replaced, car runs like its new, I can still smoke the rear tires if I want too. I'm new in this game, some other members have had there cars way longer than me, but from what I know, its the LS you buy and how it was maintained or maybe its what the car is been thru, miles don't really matter, its not a Beemer, I never really was looking to get a Lexus, was going for my 4th 7 series, but now that I know, I don't think I'd go back to anything else.
You are right it all depends on what the car had been through before it was sold. I love Lexus with passion and although I like the exterior of Mercedes/BMW I would never purchase one. How much was the 105k package deal?
Old 04-18-14, 10:12 AM
shrikelex
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I Picked it up for a little less than 23. They had an 07swb with 67K for like 28 or 30, but both the cars looked identical, was sort of like picking out the best looking jelly bean in the jar for me
Old 04-18-14, 03:49 PM
1BlinkGone
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

One big thing you have in your favor right now is 8 years of ownership and knowing exactly how it was driven, how it was taken care of, and what has been done to it. That bears serious consideration IMO.
Old 08-06-14, 08:07 PM
tlynch41
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 07 460 SWB and , even though there are things that are annoying, the ride of the car makes me forget about them. For example, I thought I needed to replace the control arms (4,200 est) but found out, from another Lexus dealer, they were fine the way they were (for a car with 125,000 miles). Drivers side lumbar not working...big deal. I can live with that. No electrical problems to speak of (knocking on wood here). Brakes, when fully depressed, seem to be making a clunking sound. Dealer says you can replace brake actuator for 2,100, or just live with the noise until you your next brake fluid exchange. The bleeding of the brakes might fix it.

My point to all this is that this car is the best driving, best handling, most comfortable, most powerful car I have ever owned. And, I am willing to accept the little noises, clunks, and "other" issues to be able to drive this wonderful vehicle.