LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Cost to own 2010 LS460 AWD vs 2014 ES350?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-14, 12:02 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts
Default Cost to own 2010 LS460 AWD vs 2014 ES350?

Hello again, Lexus Forum friends!

I'm trying to make a logical argument (to myself mainly) on why it's actually smarter to purchase a CPO 2010 LS460 AWD than purchase a new ES350. My heart says I'd love to own the Flagship 460, but my friends keep calling me crazy for buying a used 2010 LS when I could have a brand new 2014 ES for the same basic price (~ $38K).

I'm the kind of guy who only keeps a car 2-3 years normally, and I already own a 2009 Lexus SC430 (summer car), so I'd probably only put around 8-10K miles per year on whatever second car I buy.

For comparison's sake, the 2010 LS460 I would buy currently has 61K miles, and has been fully serviced (including new front brakes and full 60K mile service) by the Lexus dealer. I can purchase for $37,250 out the door, which is roughly equivalent to what I could buy a new ES base model for.

So my questions for the forum are:

1. Would the cost of maintenance be significantly higher over 3 years in the LS vs. the ES?
2. In 3 years, would a 7-year old LS with 85K miles be worth more or less than a 3-year old ES with 24K miles?
3. Since I drive so few miles each year and only plan to keep the vehicle for 3 years, would I be better off trying to lease a new ES350 (for ~ $425 per month, zero down)?

I realize this is somewhat apples to oranges, since the LS is WAY more luxurious than the ES, but I'm trying to do a hard-fact analysis of likely costs and depreciation to see which route would be smarter.

Thanks for any thoughts/insights you can provide.
Old 04-13-14, 12:37 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

It's going to cost you much more to own the LS. You gotta pay to play!
Old 04-13-14, 01:51 PM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

1. Would the cost of maintenance be significantly higher over 3 years in the LS vs. the ES? I don't think you will be paying much given you drive so few miles, but you never know what could happen with any car.

2. In 3 years, would a 7-year old LS with 85K miles be worth more or less than a 3-year old ES with 24K miles?
For this, I looked at 3 year old ES's now, and compared to a 7 yr old LS, they are actually very very close in price.

3. Since I drive so few miles each year and only plan to keep the vehicle for 3 years, would I be better off trying to lease a new ES350 (for ~ $425 per month, zero down)?
That would be up to you. I would say go test drive them both. For me personally, I used to have an LS400, so I knew what it was like, but after driving an LS 460, I just couldn't go into an ES.
Old 04-13-14, 03:20 PM
shrikelex
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1. Would the cost of maintenance be significantly higher over 3 years in the LS vs. the ES? Its not like your buying a Porsche or M5, so doubt it.

2. In 3 years, would a 7-year old LS with 85K miles be worth more or less than a 3-year old ES with 24K miles? Depends on who you sell to and condition of vehicle.

3. Since I drive so few miles each year and only plan to keep the vehicle for 3 years, would I be better off trying to lease a new ES350 (for ~ $425 per month, zero down) The lease thing looks like it may save some cash, but your going to be rolling in an ES.

Buying a Lexus for me was a huge deal, one last step you should undertake is get somebody at the dealer to take a pic of you in the drivers seat, in both vehicles, preferably thru the front windshield, hands on the steering wheel, eyes level, then view it on your computer at home in peace and quiet and decide on which Lexus is right for you

Last edited by shrikelex; 04-13-14 at 03:58 PM.
Old 04-13-14, 03:33 PM
keyframe13
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll keep in mind that it's much harder to sell a 7 years LS for that money than a 3 years old ES. The buyers would think just like your friend now: Rather to pay 20'ish grand on a 7 year car I can get this 3 yo one.
Call me crazy but I think LS its a car made to be driven not to drive. Everytime I see a guy in an LS I'm expecting him to wear a chauffeur uniform with a hat
Old 04-13-14, 03:56 PM
jayclapp
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 85 Posts

In 2007 I was faced with either buying a new fully loaded ES or a CPO LS430 UL with 21,000 miles at basically the same price. I had never purchased a used car in my life. Two hours later after seeing and driving the LS430 I was driving it home. Best deal and car I have ever made. It is now 10 years old, just turned 100,000 miles and is virtually like new still. Buying the new ES would have been one of the biggest mistakes I have ever made.

I don't even think about replacing this car at this time or in the near future!
Old 04-13-14, 04:30 PM
shinbob
Driver School Candidate

If you base your decision purely on numbers and logic, then the ES wins out every time.

I have a 2010 LS460. It was in the shop for a week (thank god for the CPO warranty), and I had a 2014 ES350 as a loaner. It was really nice, had all the bells and whistles. But after driving that for a week and then getting my LS460 back, the difference was night and day. Nothing wrong with the ES350, but the LS is just better in every way. More solid, more quiet, more comfortable, just a better all-around car to drive. It felt like going from a church pew to a leather Barcalounger. I literally said "AHHhhhhh" driving away from the dealership.

I struggled with almost the same decision you have (ES300h vs. CPO LS460 for the same price), and after this experience, I'm even more glad than ever that I went with the LS. But you're right, it will likely cost you more in the end.
Old 04-13-14, 04:32 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 227 Likes on 140 Posts

Thanks for the feedback! This is a tough one, because I've been a new-car buyer for many years. Last fall, I found my dream car, a 2009 Lexus SC430 Pebble Beach Edition, with only 9k miles and still smelling new. I went for it, and haven't had a single regret yet.

It was the SC that made me a Lexus convert, and now every other car I drive or ride in just doesn't cut it. I've always admired the ES350s, and coveted the LS460 as the kind of car I would own some day. Well, business has been especially good over the past year, and I suddenly realized that some day could be now, if I was willing to accept a CPO LS around $40K (still can't quite swing the price for a new one just yet, but that time will come).

So the question is, do I work my way up to the LS by way of a new ES (a 'gateway drug?') or just go right for the top... I can see trading in whatever I buy now in 3 years for a newer (maybe even brand new) LS.

I really don't see too much risk if I buy the 2010 I've been looking at, despite the 60k miles. It was a 1-owner, and has a complete Lexus service history, and was traded in on a new LS.

I just take pause when I think about coughing up $37k for a car with 60k miles... But it's a Lexus...

Again, thanks for the opinions/advise. Either car would be amazing I'm sure!
Old 04-13-14, 04:38 PM
shrikelex
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go for the win, lease an 2014 LS!
Old 04-13-14, 04:43 PM
shinbob
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by riknchar
So the question is, do I work my way up to the LS by way of a new ES (a 'gateway drug?') or just go right for the top... I can see trading in whatever I buy now in 3 years for a newer (maybe even brand new) LS.
That's the one problem with the LS, it really spoils you for other cars. After owning one, I know I'll HAVE to get another LS as my next car, as other comparable cars (S-class, A8, ...) are out of my price comfort zone. No going back to an ES or even GS (which I loved at the time) for me.
Old 04-13-14, 08:50 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

I am struggling with the basic conversation...I don't care what year ES it is, an LS460 in my opinion will always trump an ES..not even in the same league
Old 04-13-14, 09:11 PM
SBlexus
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a loaner 2014 ES while my 460 was getting the leather dash install, but sorry that car felt like a corolla. When I got my LS back it felt like a brand new car compared to the ES, maybe it was because of all the bells and whistle on my car. The LS is a better built car.
Old 04-13-14, 10:04 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by SBlexus
I had a loaner 2014 ES while my 460 was getting the leather dash install, but sorry that car felt like a corolla. When I got my LS back it felt like a brand new car compared to the ES, maybe it was because of all the bells and whistle on my car. The LS is a better built car.
I also like the fact that I cannot reach the rear armest from the driver seat to pull the armrest down..because it's too far away from me haha...if I want to drive in a studio apt, I would of got an ES..I chose the penthouse
Old 04-14-14, 05:14 AM
LexFather

With a new Lexus your 5 and 10k mainteneNce is free. Then if you own it up to 30k that will be the only make service and on an ES it's cheaper than a LS.

If you buy a CPO LS the warranty is goes to100k which could help if something goes wrong.

The higher the miles the larger the gap in maintenance costs between the two models.
Old 04-14-14, 08:54 AM
GXAlan
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Except for the air suspension, I suspect that the LS will be considerably more reliable. The 2010 has improvements that plagues the 07-09 era and the LS is still the only Lexus that gets its engine bench tested.

https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/magazine/articles/Vehicle-Insider/10-Reasons

Quick Reply: Cost to own 2010 LS460 AWD vs 2014 ES350?