LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Aftermarket Air Suspension

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-14, 03:57 PM
Nat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I've seen your set-up...very aggressive. What make sense is to get the fender work done first. It makes not sense to get air and not be able to tuck or go any lower since you'll be sitting on your tires.
Old 04-15-14, 04:22 PM
broken_tsi
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nat
I've seen your set-up...very aggressive. What make sense is to get the fender work done first. It makes not sense to get air and not be able to tuck or go any lower since you'll be sitting on your tires.
Agreed. I've been really waiting on Figs Engineering as an excuse not to spend ~8500 on T-Demand and to really work with someone personally on developing stuff for my car, but I don't know how far back on the waiting list LS460's are. I've never done much custom stuff, just usually all off the shelf, plug n play type.

Next up is tires to get things fitting right, but since I got a large hole in one of the rears, I think I'm going to go to 275 rears instead of the 295's. I've got to see which tires are made in this size and then how they stretch. This **** is a LOT of work!
Old 04-15-14, 04:30 PM
tnbigdawg
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by broken_tsi
How bad is the ride quality? Bouncy or what?

I am in between a rock and a hard place on what the next big purchase is going to be due to the cost of everything and I don't want to skimp anywhere.

Basically, I need body work to get the fenders how I want them, but I need camber so that I can get the body work done once and the way I want it to look. I also need aftermarket air since this controller and stock suspension is only going to last so long, especially with the abuse that it takes being raised and lowered often.
I'm on stock 18" wheels right now and I mainly drive at 1" below full height for a stockish look until I get my 22's. Here's my experience with both the UAS/BC and Airrex:

Big dips = 1 big bounce.
Uneven road with small repetitive bumps/dips, one right after another = bouncy enough you can't rest your head on the headrest or else it gets bumped around. The car doesn't settle fast enough so it's a bounce, then bounce right after the first.

Freeway = smooth
Smooth roads with few bumps here and there = smooth

Full up = Bouncy! The struts don't have room to rebound if you're all the way up.

I'm going to play around with the struts some more to find a good combination. For now, it's drivable and not too bad.

Hope my description helps!
Old 04-16-14, 09:40 PM
mililani00
Pole Position

Airrex did a few ls460. Can almost touch the ground
Old 05-29-14, 11:39 PM
Duck9i6
Rookie

I've driven both Nat's and lei_z_ass's car and I am sold on the airrunner setup. I'm currently running airrex with Accuair e-level and regret not spending the extra cash to get the basic airrunner setup. Even at full soft dampening wise, the car has terrible rebound. The struts are garbage for our vehicles. Don't get me wrong, I've installed a few sets of airrex struts on other vehicles, and I've got to admit the ride quality with airrex with say for example a Honda accord or an Acura TL is far more comfortable than my car now. Keep in mind I am on my 3rd set of airrex struts for the rear.
Old 05-30-14, 06:13 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by broken_tsi
My car lowers on the highway, whether in normal or not. I like to ride low everywhere, not just in town though.
Oh ok. I use NORMAL SELECT since I believe that is a bypass of the controller and lets the car do everything the oem system would do, but on long road trips, I want comfort..not show. Plus the car after 65mph or so doesn't have really any fender gap once the car lowers down...by my estimation looking at the level bars on the controller once at 65mph, it seems as if the front goes down to about level 3 or 4 and rear about 2..I assume for stability and aerodynamics etc
Old 05-30-14, 09:42 AM
AznRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm currently on d2 and they ride just the same as airrex. Without any rear struts popping noises. Matter of fact d2, ksport, air force, and airrex all ride the same. If you want to drive low with good ride quality just save up for airrunner.
Old 05-30-14, 11:03 AM
Nat
Lexus Test Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Duck9i6
I've driven both Nat's and lei_z_ass's car and I am sold on the airrunner setup. I'm currently running airrex with Accuair e-level and regret not spending the extra cash to get the basic airrunner setup. Even at full soft dampening wise, the car has terrible rebound. The struts are garbage for our vehicles. Don't get me wrong, I've installed a few sets of airrex struts on other vehicles, and I've got to admit the ride quality with airrex with say for example a Honda accord or an Acura TL is far more comfortable than my car now. Keep in mind I am on my 3rd set of airrex struts for the rear.
Originally Posted by AznRacer
I'm currently on d2 and they ride just the same as airrex. Without any rear struts popping noises. Matter of fact d2, ksport, air force, and airrex all ride the same. If you want to drive low with good ride quality just save up for airrunner.
LOL, Air Runner is the way to go...it's struts are built specifically for each car type. Why have a $80k luxury car ride like a Honda.
Old 05-30-14, 01:14 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

I am an aftermarket air noob for real...what exactly makes the air runner ride so much better than the others? Construction? Specific feature? I'm just curious because I see this mentioned a lot
Old 05-30-14, 05:28 PM
AznRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Nat
LOL, Air Runner is the way to go...it's struts are built specifically for each car type. Why have a $80k luxury car ride like a Honda.
I totally agree. Because these low budget company uses the same struts for all different type of cars with different bracket to fit. So these struts aren't built for one specific car their universal. With Air runner its another story that's why their price is higher and the quality is big difference.

Originally Posted by CJITTY
I am an aftermarket air noob for real...what exactly makes the air runner ride so much better than the others? Construction? Specific feature? I'm just curious because I see this mentioned a lot
Air runner built every kit to each car specification. They ride very similar to what you have in your L model 460 but better since you can diffinitely ride a lot lower.

Last edited by AznRacer; 05-30-14 at 06:37 PM.
Old 06-02-14, 12:07 AM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Airrunner R&D every kit they make. Kits aren't just put together like the other companies. The struts are specifically dampened for the particular application they make. I'm glad I spent the extra money.
Old 07-04-14, 06:11 PM
fitted
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ideas for air bags setup for 2007 ls460?

I am the process of getting bags for my 2007 ls460. I don't know if I need to get struts airbags or just bags on my stock struts? I want to get accuair elevel but don't know if should buy it straight from accuair or ebay? I need help for my setup!!! I am new at this so I don't want to mess up my LS. I want something reliable not super expensive and quality. Any help would be appreciate.
Old 07-04-14, 11:00 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by fitted
I am the process of getting bags for my 2007 ls460. I don't know if I need to get struts airbags or just bags on my stock struts? I want to get accuair elevel but don't know if should buy it straight from accuair or ebay? I need help for my setup!!! I am new at this so I don't want to mess up my LS. I want something reliable not super expensive and quality. Any help would be appreciate.
So you want something reliable, not expensive, and quality. Haha. You get what your pay for.
Old 07-05-14, 08:26 AM
AznRacer
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lbintab
So you want something reliable, not expensive, and quality. Haha. You get what your pay for.
Totally agree. Give us an idea of whats your budget?
Old 07-05-14, 09:32 AM
is150
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What's is your budget? Are you planning on doing the install or having it installed? If your planning on doing the install do you have experience in installing suspension, wiring?
Some choices are airrunner, airrex, universal air suspension, Air Force, k-sport or what i did which is platinum vip cup kit.

Last edited by is150; 07-05-14 at 12:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Air Suspension