LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Headlight low beam issue

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-14, 06:03 PM
1Putt
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Headlight low beam issue

Noticed my passenger side HID low beam went out about a week ago... 2008 ls460, out of warranty

1 - changed HID bulb, still out
2 - checked applicable fuses in fuse box in engine compartment, all seems fine
3 - changed to new ballast, still nothing

All the other lights in the headlight are operating fine, only the low beam is still out. Somehow the ballast is not receiving power

Anyone ever encounter this or heard of something ? Pretty much ready to turn it over to my indy mechanic or the dealer if necessary

Last edited by 1Putt; 02-23-14 at 06:33 PM.
Old 02-24-14, 08:14 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Do you KNOW the ballast is not receiving power? Did you test with an ohm meter?

Don't ya just LOVE electrical gremlins?
Old 02-24-14, 10:15 AM
1Putt
Advanced

No I haven't tested yet, but that is what I suspect. The headlight housing is brand new
Old 02-27-14, 09:22 AM
1Putt
Advanced

Update-

As suspected, it's one of the electrical relays attached or integrated into the fuse box in engine compartment that went bad. Just my luck, it's very unusual for this to fail; my indy Lexus shop has never seen this before in our cars and hardly on other models. Strange, the power goes to this relay first then the fuse box, then headlight/low beam. That's why the applicable fuse was still fine. When diagnosing it, they powered the fuse box and the low beam was able to come on.
At least problem was identified
The following users liked this post:
Dsmith625 (10-24-20)
Old 02-27-14, 11:35 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Soooo ....cheap fix???
Old 02-27-14, 12:56 PM
1Putt
Advanced

Yeah, the relay is about $50, plus minimal labor to install. Thankfully it's one of the items that are separately serviceable and not part of the fuse box itself. However, they did take about 2 hrs to pinpoint the problem, so that'll probably be added on
Old 02-27-14, 04:21 PM
Tee

Received 67 Likes on 56 Posts

Thanks for the follow up and you came out cheap.
Old 02-27-14, 05:00 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1Putt
Yeah, the relay is about $50, plus minimal labor to install. Thankfully it's one of the items that are separately serviceable and not part of the fuse box itself. However, they did take about 2 hrs to pinpoint the problem, so that'll probably be added on
Man everyone is getting good news today!

If it were me, I wouldn't have the same luck. With my luck, I'd go in for a turn signal that wasn't working and they'd tell me the car's computer was kaput.
Old 02-27-14, 05:21 PM
1Putt
Advanced

I know what you mean... but I feel like I already had the bad luck by having be the relay versus the bulb, which it is 99% of the time
Old 03-07-14, 06:58 PM
1Putt
Advanced

Another update--

The relay part that was brought in was not the correct item. Ended up having to replace a junction box that contains multiple relays that are integrated to this piece. One of these integrated relays was the culprit. $300 part. Had to wait a little longer, at least now its done and back to normal
Old 03-07-14, 08:32 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

Man, nothing is a cheap fix anymore.
The following users liked this post:
Doughb (03-25-20)
Old 03-07-14, 08:57 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Still....not TOO bad.... considering. Glad it all works now 1putt!
Old 03-08-14, 04:34 AM
1Putt
Advanced

Thanks... good to have the baby back after over a week
Old 02-08-17, 04:05 AM
tlk2megoos
Driver

Bringing this back from the dead... Is this the Engine-2 Relay Block? I'm in a situation with my '07 where I've replaced the Headlamp Assembly, Ballast/HID ECU, Bulb, Engine-1 Relay Block, and Engine-2 Relay Block, but am not getting power to the Pass Low Beam. I've tested the headlamp is good when connected to the other side, so something is not getting power to the HID Connector plug (gray lower). Is there something I am missing? This low beam is the only thing keeping me from passing inspection. It's frustrating to see this car sit for what should be a simple, not to mention much less expensive recurring problem, especially since I have replaced seemingly everything but the wire harness.

Last edited by tlk2megoos; 02-08-17 at 04:08 AM.
Old 05-14-17, 11:52 AM
GaborL
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Similar issue

2007 LS460L
just bought my second 460 about three months ago, since then I've done the minimum of maintenance (HID bulbs, LED interior/exterior, K&N filters, etc) and am now just running into an issue which is driving me nuts!

so I've always ordered my HID kits from DDMTuning.com and never had an issue. Did the same on this car, ordered my kit for the fogs as well as the D4S bulbs for the low beams. They worked fine up until about 2 weeks ago when the passenger low beam decided to just die. Not faint, not weak, just dead. It would come and go as time went on, but no steady performance has been noticed. I figured it was the bulb and having a few spares I played around a little. It's not the bulb. So since there was quite a bit of condensation in the headlight I figured I'd check the ballast. Before removing it I ordered a new one, it arrived, took the headlight out, sure enough the wires and connections were soaked. Drained the water out, dried it up as much as I could, put the new ballast in, the light fired up perfect. Then last night, out of nowhere it decided to start all over again.... I've checked and rechecked the fuses, they are intact. I don't know what else to check!!!

I've read here that one guy had "relay" issues and he had to remove his fuse box to get to it and fix it. Anyone have any input on this? Similar issues with anyone?
I've run out of ideas...
Please and thank you.

Quick Reply: Headlight low beam issue