LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2017 LS460 windshield replaced, $250 out of pocket

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-23, 01:38 AM
Marc780
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts
Default 2017 LS460 windshield replaced, $250 out of pocket

I lent my car to a friend and she brought it back with a tiny, tiny crack in the windshield. Probably a little rock or something and not a lot of damage, but enough to be irritating as It was directly in the driver's view out the windshield.

It's been a while since I actually had full coverage insurance on a car and old habits die hard, I called Safe-lite thinking I'd get it repaired. When the guy came out for the estimate I asked for images of their work repairing such damage. And what they do (filling the inside of the crack with resin or some such, from the inside of the crack) makes glass damage much less visible - but it is still visible. He suggested I just change the windshield and put it through on the insurance since it affected the view out; so that's what I ended up doing.
I called up Safe-lite again asking if they'd pay for an OEM windshield, they said nothing doing, and I decided I didn't want to pay another grand for OEM if they had a replacement that worked. Little did I know that windshield had already been replaced by the previous owner at least once before, that is, according to the tech that came out to change the windshield. He also said the previous tech did a rush job and used too much sealant, and that it made it a lot harder to remove it. He took about an hour to do the job, but at least all it cost me was $250 for the deductible.

Old 08-11-23, 06:10 AM
Boykie
Instructor

Received 559 Likes on 392 Posts

Can you verify part number of new glass? Can you verify if they followed the procedure (reriveting)?
Old 08-11-23, 06:38 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Received 1,209 Likes on 956 Posts

Since the windshield was replaced previously, it's even more likely that the trim strips clips have gotten loosened. Unless it was done to Lexus specs and the clips were removed and replaced. Things to watch, your wiper rain sensor not working properly (water hose test), wind noise and or loose trim strips around windshield. The sooner you test/inspect these areas, you can relax and enjoy driving again. I'd also read the printing on corner of glass and look for a word similar to Lamisafe, meaning the glass is sound deadening/laminated. If it's just safety glass, it doesn't dampen sound.
The following 3 users liked this post by swfla:
HushedRide (08-11-23), Marc780 (08-13-23), texas008 (08-15-23)
Old 08-11-23, 07:41 AM
Gerf
Racer

Received 690 Likes on 511 Posts

How would a person know if the re riveting had been done and other associated seals had been replaced even if done through a Lexus dealer?

I don't know about the rest of the world but where I live windshields are sub'd to glass shops that are manufacturer approved, unless you are there watching you would never know for sure and I doubt it is normal practice for glass shops to be replacing these clips.
They might be on your invoice...bush parts

On this invoice above $100 labor for a person to come to your house and complete this job tells me everything I need to know.

The following users liked this post:
swfla (08-11-23)
Old 08-11-23, 07:55 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Very good observation GERF. So many things can be overlooked/shortcut on car maintenance, even if you discuss it in advance.
Old 08-11-23, 08:30 AM
Boykie
Instructor

I always include all part numbers (rivets, clips, everything required) in the invoice...
swfla (08-11-23)
Old 08-12-23, 07:19 AM
HJP12
Pit Crew

Received 132 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc780
I lent my car to a friend and she brought it back with a tiny, tiny crack in the windshield. Probably a little rock or something and not a lot of damage, but enough to be irritating as It was directly in the driver's view out the windshield.

It's been a while since I actually had full coverage insurance on a car and old habits die hard, I called Safe-lite thinking I'd get it repaired. When the guy came out for the estimate I asked for images of their work repairing such damage. And what they do (filling the inside of the crack with resin or some such, from the inside of the crack) makes glass damage much less visible - but it is still visible. He suggested I just change the windshield and put it through on the insurance since it affected the view out; so that's what I ended up doing.
I called up Safe-lite again asking if they'd pay for an OEM windshield, they said nothing doing, and I decided I didn't want to pay another grand for OEM if they had a replacement that worked. Little did I know that windshield had already been replaced by the previous owner at least once before, that is, according to the tech that came out to change the windshield. He also said the previous tech did a rush job and used too much sealant, and that it made it a lot harder to remove it. He took about an hour to do the job, but at least all it cost me was $250 for the deductible.
I had to have my wife's Caddy XT5 windshield replaced and I originally called the dealer and they they did not do it, so I called my local indy mechanic and he did not do it but gave me a recommendation of a local guy he said was excellent. He came out and replaced the windshield and did all the required recalibrations for the sensors and all was good. He did point out that while the windshield was not Cadillac OEM it was made by the same company that does OEM for Cadillac, just does not have the GM/Cadillac logo on it. So far I cannot tell the difference, no wind noise and all sensors work fine. If I ever needed to replace my Lexus windshield I think I would use OEM as Lexus does go to great lengths to dampen all outside noise including special glass, just a thought.
Marc780 (08-13-23)
Old 08-12-23, 07:45 AM
Boykie
Instructor

FW02762GGY is a Benson glass (SL's own brand). Can you verify that you got Lexus glass? With logos and all?
ADD: Omg it's even worse.. It's FUYAO china. This particular 'glass' costs around 150usd in my part of the world... And these are HORRID (optical distortions, thickness etcetcetc).
In my reality she would owe me complete dealership glass replacement job at this moment and that insurer would have a lawsuit.

Last edited by Boykie; 08-12-23 at 07:59 AM.
Old 08-12-23, 09:08 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

It seems that most US auto insurance won't pay for OEM Lexus glass. But Lamiglas, heat and sensor should be covered. The good news is that some have a zero copay/deductiblle for windshield replacement. The OP paying $250, while better than full price, is not good coverage compared to some.
Old 08-12-23, 11:06 AM
Striker223
Lexus Champion

Received 1,145 Likes on 853 Posts

FUAYO is so bad....I bought my 460 with one of their windshields and the distortion was insanely noticeable. Lexus stamped glass is the only on that will look correct/nice and it's worth the extra cost IMO. I don't even have a cheap windshield like that on the old Jeep
The following 2 users liked this post by Striker223:
HushedRide (08-12-23), texas008 (08-15-23)
Old 08-12-23, 11:56 AM
swfla
Lead Lap

Wow. Terrible way to start ownership of a flagship model. Heads up everyone. If your insurance puts in a distorted windshield, reject it.
HushedRide (08-12-23)
Old 08-13-23, 10:34 AM
heidihidin
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Boykie
FW02762GGY is a Benson glass (SL's own brand). Can you verify that you got Lexus glass? With logos and all?
ADD: Omg it's even worse.. It's FUYAO china. This particular 'glass' costs around 150usd in my part of the world... And these are HORRID (optical distortions, thickness etcetcetc).
In my reality she would owe me complete dealership glass replacement job at this moment and that insurer would have a lawsuit.
"Lawsuit"?
The policy covers aftermarket or used parts only after the vehicle hits certain age and this vehicle being 7 years old falls under that part of the policy underwriting.
Old 08-20-23, 11:55 AM
Marc780
Pit Crew

Received 44 Likes on 34 Posts

By the way this is what OEM is supposed to cost according to https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/oem-le...indshield.html

Old 08-20-23, 12:29 PM
swfla
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Marc780
By the way this is what OEM is supposed to cost according to https://www.lexuspartsnow.com/oem-le...indshield.html

Enlightening. I imagine the repair company has to mark it up at least to MSRP of $1,072. Bottom line, it stinks when insurance won't work with you.
Old 08-20-23, 03:31 PM
HushedRide
Pit Crew

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

That’s not bad at all, if you can get it for $800, assuming laminated for noise, etc. The last two windshields I broke were in the $2k range which is of course insane.

Quick Reply: 2017 LS460 windshield replaced, $250 out of pocket