LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

DIY Spark Plug Replacment

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-15, 03:49 PM
chris07ls
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

No, it still shifts like new! But most do until they fail on the spot.
Old 09-01-15, 05:01 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by chris07ls
No, it still shifts like new! But most do until they fail on the spot.
Well not according to some. I changed the transmission fluid on a Honda which had over 120k miles with no ill effects and no noticeable improvement. I'm sure you will be fine with a transmission flush but if you do could you send your used fluid to Blackstone labs. Blackstone will send you a free test kit to capture the fluid. This would be a big benefit to the community.

Last edited by Devh; 09-01-15 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-01-15, 05:09 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
Well not according to some. I changed the transmission fluid on a Honda which had over 120k miles with no ill effects and no noticeable improvement. I'm sure you will be fine with a transmission flush but if you do could you send your your used fluid to Blackstone labs. Blackstone will send you a free test kit to capture the fluid. This would be a big benefit to the community.

I greatly second that sentiment.
I'm not sure if anyone in the community currently has had their ATF fluidchem tested at that mileage point, and it'd be great to know what the results were.
Not to doubt your knowledge regarding your own vehicle, but are you sure the fluid has never been changed out?
Old 09-01-15, 09:44 PM
chris07ls
Driver

Originally Posted by CRowe14
I greatly second that sentiment.
I'm not sure if anyone in the community currently has had their ATF fluidchem tested at that mileage point, and it'd be great to know what the results were.
Not to doubt your knowledge regarding your own vehicle, but are you sure the fluid has never been changed out?
The only time this car was serviced at the dealer was for the first free oil change at 5k and the three rcalls (fuel rail, valve springs and o ring). I have done all maintenance from day one - 22 oil changes and counting. I can definitely say no trans fluid changes.
Old 09-02-15, 07:16 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

The only time this car was serviced at the dealer was for the first free oil change at 5k and the three rcalls (fuel rail, valve springs and o ring). I have done all maintenance from day one - 22 oil changes and counting. I can definitely say no trans fluid changes.
That is pretty awesome to hear!
Do you mind if I ask you how the car has treated you over all, especially being that the car has only seen the dealership less than half a dozen times in its life cycle.
I think its safe to say that you're in a minority group regarding the age and mileage point with your model and year in this community, so along with your high mileage fluid (If you decide to have a Blackstone report done when/if you decide to change your trans fluid) and reporting other repairs you've had to make, it'd be informative to many of us here.
Old 09-02-15, 08:30 AM
Devh
Racer

It would be great if you could get the test done as you are a perfect candidate. I would be happy to pay for it because it would be valuable information for me and others.
Old 09-02-15, 09:48 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 505 Likes on 383 Posts

Now I have to figure out what to do about the trans fluid. It bothers me not to have changed the fluid for 8 years and 115 K miles. The other 4 Toyotas I have owned I drained and refilled the trans fluid every 15-20K miles. While I'm debating the trans fluid issue, I think I will change the differential gear oil - I last changed it at about 50K miles and it looked pretty clean.
15k-20kmiles is overkill unless you're towing (which I doubt). However, if you want to follow a reasonable interval and one that is recommended by Lexus for the LS in International markets (like here in Canada), that would be 96k kms (60k miles) or 4 years. As I stated before, only the US market lists the fluid as "lifetime".
Old 09-02-15, 10:11 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

I asked this question before but cant seem to recall the general consensus.
I have 70.9k and the ATF fluid has never been touched.

Should I go with a drain and fill or flush and fill?

Thanks ahead of time!
Old 09-02-15, 02:40 PM
chris07ls
Driver

That is pretty awesome to hear!
Do you mind if I ask you how the car has treated you over all, especially being that the car has only seen the dealership less than half a dozen times in its life cycle.
I think its safe to say that you're in a minority group regarding the age and mileage point with your model and year in this community, so along with your high mileage fluid (If you decide to have a Blackstone report done when/if you decide to change your trans fluid) and reporting other repairs you've had to make, it'd be informative to many of us here.
This car has been trouble free and everything is working like new.

I replaced the following:
oil and filter every 5K (Mobil 1 0W-20) ---- 23 times
Engine air filter every 30K ------ 3 times
Cabin AC filter every 10k -------- 11 times
Serpentine belt at 62K -------1 time
Differential gear oil at 45k ------ 1 time
Coolant at 100k ----------- 1 time
Brake pads at 55k and 85k
New battery at 53k and 95k
New tires at 39k, 77k and 99k
New plugs at 115k

No oil consumption - I measure the amount of oil I drain every time
Front bumper replaced - wife was hit by another driver
I like the Wagner ceramic brake pads. The ones I replaced at 55k were recommended by someone on this site and they were bad news.
Old 09-02-15, 02:54 PM
chris07ls
Driver

Originally Posted by roadfrog
15k-20kmiles is overkill unless you're towing (which I doubt). However, if you want to follow a reasonable interval and one that is recommended by Lexus for the LS in International markets (like here in Canada), that would be 96k kms (60k miles) or 4 years. As I stated before, only the US market lists the fluid as "lifetime".
When I say 15-20k, I just do a drain and refill which typically removes about 1/3 of the trans fluid on most cars. I pass my cars on to my kids after I put on 200k plus miles and they drive them for another 100.
Old 09-02-15, 03:49 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

This car has been trouble free and everything is working like new.

I replaced the following:
oil and filter every 5K (Mobil 1 0W-20) ---- 23 times
Engine air filter every 30K ------ 3 times
Cabin AC filter every 10k -------- 11 times
Serpentine belt at 62K -------1 time
Differential gear oil at 45k ------ 1 time
Coolant at 100k ----------- 1 time
Brake pads at 55k and 85k
New battery at 53k and 95k
New tires at 39k, 77k and 99k
New plugs at 115k

No oil consumption - I measure the amount of oil I drain every time
Front bumper replaced - wife was hit by another driver
I like the Wagner ceramic brake pads. The ones I replaced at 55k were recommended by someone on this site and they were bad news.
That looks a whole lot like my service history, knock on wood I haven't had to change anything but basic maintenance items.
Old 09-02-15, 03:52 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

I asked this question before but cant seem to recall the general consensus.
I have 70.9k and the ATF fluid has never been touched.

Should I go with a drain and fill or flush and fill?

Thanks ahead of time!
I'd just do a simple drain and refill, I don't hear of many problems with transmission failures with these cars, otherwise I'd say to do something a little more extreme. Then you could do it again at 100k to get another 4 quarts out of it.
Old 09-02-15, 03:54 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

It would be great if you could get the test done as you are a perfect candidate. I would be happy to pay for it because it would be valuable information for me and others.
I think there has been reports on the WS fluid with similar mileage on this forum, I want to say the viscosity changed and there were some other things that were starting to go wrong with the fluid.
Old 09-02-15, 04:20 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I think there has been reports on the WS fluid with similar mileage on this forum, I want to say the viscosity changed and there were some other things that were starting to go wrong with the fluid.
I do think it should be changed out but the question is when and I think an oil analysis done on a few cars will give us a clue. From what I have seen a safe bet would be 80k. It would be interesting to see if the fluid has failed going beyond 100k.
Old 09-02-15, 05:16 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

I do think it should be changed out but the question is when and I think an oil analysis done on a few cars will give us a clue. From what I have seen a safe bet would be 80k. It would be interesting to see if the fluid has failed going beyond 100k.
Yeah I think 80k would probably be alright, I did mine at 70k, but it doesn't appear there have been any transmission failures associated with this car, most likely do to design. I just think it's safe to say it's not a "lifetime" fluid that never needs to be changed.

Quick Reply: DIY Spark Plug Replacment