LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Brake Actuator Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-14, 01:35 PM
bdubva21
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Actuator Help

Problem solved my friends

Last edited by bdubva21; 06-25-14 at 12:58 PM.
Old 01-19-14, 01:49 PM
Devh
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts

I would find out the why and then get a second opinion. I find it interesting on just about any car when there is no warranty involved they often find something wrong. With a warranty it's normal operation.
Old 01-19-14, 01:54 PM
bdubva21
Driver School Candidate

Last edited by bdubva21; 06-25-14 at 12:59 PM.
Old 01-19-14, 02:08 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by bdubva21
Just spoke to the Service Rep. Says the actuator is creating a very faint Knocking Noise when the car brakes. Ive heard the noise a couple times before but it was not alarming. Seems to me that the Actuator would be covered under the Powertrain Warranty.
Possible but I don't know for sure. I assume it's not covered because it's not part of the Powertrain which primarily covers Engine, transmission and diff.
If you did hear that faint noise upon delivery then you may have a good argument stating that the car was pre-inspected poorly given the time period. If you didn't notice the noise then it's on you.
Most often the pre-delivery inspections are a joke as I have found things wrong with CPO cars.

Last edited by Devh; 01-19-14 at 02:12 PM.
Old 01-19-14, 02:18 PM
Nospinzone

Received 407 Likes on 315 Posts

At the very least you should get a full refund on the PPI since whomever did it was incompetent.
Old 01-19-14, 03:12 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
At the very least you should get a full refund on the PPI since whomever did it was incompetent.
I agree, as a last resort. For that amount of money it may not be a bad Idea to take the dealership to small claims if they don't oblige.
Old 01-19-14, 03:29 PM
Devh
Racer

I was just thinking this brake actuator issue should come under a mandatory safety recall.
You should ask the dealer if the part is not replaced would it be dangerous.
Old 01-19-14, 03:38 PM
robert1408
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

I've read through lots of posts about these actuators. Seems like a fair percentage of them make noises commonly described as a knock and sometimes a pop or thump. Brake performance is usually not affected. Real failures seem uncommon. Warranty replacement seems common if it's loud enough for a tech to clearly hear it or there is a performance issue. Those of us out of warranty could just put up with it so long as performance is good or it's loud enough to be annoying or embarrassing.

My '07 with 41k on it makes a very slight actuator knock. Brake pedal height, feel, effort and modulation are all the best of any car I've ever owned. Replacing an actuator is a straightforward job but getting it properly bled and getting the trouble codes to stay reset takes some experience, knowledge and skill. I believe in the old proverb "Let sleeping dragons lay".

Last edited by robert1408; 01-19-14 at 03:43 PM. Reason: addition
Old 01-19-14, 04:11 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by robert1408
I've read through lots of posts about these actuators. Seems like a fair percentage of them make noises commonly described as a knock and sometimes a pop or thump. Brake performance is usually not affected. Real failures seem uncommon. Warranty replacement seems common if it's loud enough for a tech to clearly hear it or there is a performance issue. Those of us out of warranty could just put up with it so long as performance is good or it's loud enough to be annoying or embarrassing.

My '07 with 41k on it makes a very slight actuator knock. Brake pedal height, feel, effort and modulation are all the best of any car I've ever owned. Replacing an actuator is a straightforward job but getting it properly bled and getting the trouble codes to stay reset takes some experience, knowledge and skill. I believe in the old proverb "Let sleeping dragons lay".
If its really just a cosmetic quirk I could live with it as long as it's after the warranty period.
I wonder if bleeding the brakes would resolve the issue. I bleed my own brakes on all my cars, even ones that require the ABS pump to be activated which I didn't do and it turn out just fine. I wonder if you can bleed the brakes on this car without any issues as long as you don't let the reservoir run dry.
Old 01-19-14, 05:09 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

you should be covered... i had the brake actuator changed on my 2013. Lexus hasn't been able to come up with a fix except for swapping the LS460 actuator with an LS600 actuator. why they don't install a 600 actuator to begin with is beyond me. after the swap i've had no more problems i.e. noise, knocking etc.
Old 01-19-14, 05:37 PM
bdubva21
Driver School Candidate

Last edited by bdubva21; 06-25-14 at 01:00 PM.
Old 01-19-14, 06:54 PM
robert1408
Intermediate

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
If its really just a cosmetic quirk I could live with it as long as it's after the warranty period.
I wonder if bleeding the brakes would resolve the issue. I bleed my own brakes on all my cars, even ones that require the ABS pump to be activated which I didn't do and it turn out just fine. I wonder if you can bleed the brakes on this car without any issues as long as you don't let the reservoir run dry.
From what I can tell from this forum, bleeding does not often affect actuator noises. A former Lexus tech I talked to said conventional vacuum bleeding can be done but admitting air from any source is a complete no-no. He also told me his shop replaces actuators regularly on other Lexus and Toyota vehicles that use them but rarely on LS 460's.
Old 01-19-14, 07:37 PM
Devh
Racer

Originally Posted by robert1408
From what I can tell from this forum, bleeding does not often affect actuator noises. A former Lexus tech I talked to said conventional vacuum bleeding can be done but admitting air from any source is a complete no-no. He also told me his shop replaces actuators regularly on other Lexus and Toyota vehicles that use them but rarely on LS 460's.
I don't like vacuum bleeding because the air seeps though the bleeder screws. I then tried pressure bleeding but it requires you to waste a lot of fluid and it can get messy.
The best thing I found was speed bleeders, I may give it a try this spring and if it doesn't work I will have Lexus do it.
Old 01-20-14, 09:23 AM
JFNash
Lead Lap

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Been through all the phases of existence of this crappy problem.

This annoying problem starts with just a tiny noise that seems to appear once in a lifetime. Then all of a sudden, it's twice a month, then three times a day, then all day long in cold days, then it's been there since as far as you can remember.

At first it's just noise. Zero impact on braking performance. Then one moment you'll feel a small click on the braking pedal and it'll feel as if the brake bled an entire world of air but with no impact on braking. You'll get to see some of the warning lights that you've always wondered what they were for (4 lights to be exact), and the dash center screen will be locked on 3 or 4 warning messages related to VCS failure, ABS failure, brake system failure and it'll tell you to stop the vehicle immediately and call the dealership. You won't have access to tire pressure or any other screen before you fix the problem.

The braking performance didn't change with me. However, I lost the ABS functionality. And the noise stayed. The part costs $1,356.85. It's part #1 in this diagram:

Part link:
http://www.parkplacelexusparts.com/p...onent=Actuator

And I think this is the part in real life:

Last edited by JFNash; 01-20-14 at 09:35 AM.
Old 01-20-14, 10:23 AM
bdubva21
Driver School Candidate

Last edited by bdubva21; 06-25-14 at 01:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Brake Actuator Help