LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Brake Actuator Help

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-14, 12:20 PM
LXurious
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sticka
How is it NOT a safety issue?

My dash says "brake malfunction" and "check brake system" (and others) and says " do not drive the vehicle, pull over immediately and contact dealer"
And the dealer said " do not drive the vehicle, it is not safe to drive with that warning on the dash".

So, again.....how is this not a safety issue?

He just told you why it wasnt and my mother kept driving her car after the lights went on once. Scary at the moment yes, once you learn more about it you realize its nothing more than annoyance. Like hepres it may only pop up every now and then but inbetween you'll be fine
Old 05-12-14, 02:22 PM
Sticka
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LXurious
He just told you why it wasnt and my mother kept driving her car after the lights went on once. Scary at the moment yes, once you learn more about it you realize its nothing more than annoyance. Like hepres it may only pop up every now and then but inbetween you'll be fine
Lexus wouldn't be replacing brake actuators by the dozen, at their expense, if they didn't have problems.
They tried to reset ours too....the lights keep coming back on.

Nothing more than an annoyance? I bet these guys are sure glad not to have taken your advice....or should they have just keep on driving?

Originally Posted by chris07ls
Our brake actuator failed at 60k miles - it cost us $500 at the dealer to replace it.

Lexus should step up and admit they have a serious problem with their braking system. When this part failed my wife could not stop the car by stepping on the brake. She was lucky that she was only going 5mph when this happened.
Originally Posted by 460LCHI
Your wife and I share the same experience. I have a coated garage floor that has traction sand in it. I was pulling to the garage and the pedal went to the floor and the trac light came on, and I ran into the wall at a low speed. There is nothing worse than KNOWING you were not at fault. "No problem found".
I was pulling into the driveway in the snow when the same problem happened again then I realized that the right rear wheel was not getting any braking power which is what caused the symptom before. Turned out it was a bad actuator after all.
Let me know if you were able to get it warranted. I have a certified car that I have put nearly 50K on within 21 months. 64K on it now.

Last edited by Sticka; 05-12-14 at 02:35 PM.
Old 05-12-14, 02:37 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

How is it NOT a safety issue?

My dash says "brake malfunction" and "check brake system" (and others) and says " do not drive the vehicle, pull over immediately and contact dealer"
And the dealer said " do not drive the vehicle, it is not safe to drive with that warning on the dash".

So, again.....how is this not a safety issue?
Don't shoot the messenger playa..I'm telling you what lexus told me. Clicking noises to them are not serious enough to replace. I have no warnings or anything. I have a CPO car so if I get any warnings I will be in the dealer fast for a replacement. The clicking is an annoyance. Sounds like you have a straight up part failure which may or may not be related to the typical clicks that folks hear. See what I'm sayin
Old 05-12-14, 02:56 PM
Sticka
Rookie

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Don't shoot the messenger playa..I'm telling you what lexus told me. Clicking noises to them are not serious enough to replace. I have no warnings or anything. I have a CPO car so if I get any warnings I will be in the dealer fast for a replacement. The clicking is an annoyance. Sounds like you have a straight up part failure which may or may not be related to the typical clicks that folks hear. See what I'm sayin
I hear ya.

I have clicking and the Christmas tree of death on the dash.

Every situation is different.

It seems to start with the clicking and then go's south from there.
Old 05-12-14, 03:01 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

I hear ya.

I have clicking and the Christmas tree of death on the dash.

Every situation is different.

It seems to start with the clicking and then go's south from there.
Yeah..I have the loud clunk when I activate brakes when backing up but no actual clicking like most. It may have been addressed before I bought my 600 but I havent seen anything in the history showing repair
Old 05-16-14, 08:18 AM
jarodeve
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just put in another complaint.
Old 05-19-14, 04:17 PM
Sticka
Rookie

Lexus knows this is a problem. They need to step up to the plate.

If we want to make Lexus cover it we ALL need to file a complaint with the NHTSA.

If you have/had a problem with the brake actuator go to ...
http://www.nhtsa.gov/Vehicle+Safety/Recalls+&+Defects
and file a complaint (click at the top right of the screen "file a complaint")

EVEN IF YOUR VEHICLE WAS ALREADY FIXED UNDER WARRANTY, YOU STILL NEED TO FILE A COMPLAINT.

Your information will not be given to Lexus.
The following users liked this post:
diamente (05-23-18)
Old 05-21-14, 09:33 PM
LSin75033
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

***UPDATE*** My 3rd party warranty that I bought from the dealer replaced my actuator at a total cost of about $2600 parts and labor. At first the dealer said I would have to pay out of pocket to flush the brakes, the warranty wont consider it unless fluids have been replaced. I told him that I KNEW fluid would NOT fix the problem, but he said that was the only way to approach the insurance/warranty company. So I agreed to pay the $150 or whatever for the fluid change. They called and said the fluid change fixed it, so i sent my wife to get the car. She pays the $150, drives off and surprise, still clunking. So I tell her to U turn and return it. Service writer could hear the noise and agreed to call warranty company and recommend replacement. Warranty company sent out an adjuster/inspector and they agreed to replace it. I was SHOCKED that they replaced it for $0 out of pocket expense to me (other than the useless fluid change).

Car is SOOO quiet now.
Old 05-22-14, 06:36 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Great news. Which warranty company is this?
Old 07-08-15, 09:22 AM
SLCLS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who is the warranty company?
Old 02-17-16, 09:23 PM
Dade305
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's a story/summary with solutions if you have this problem with your LS460.

So when i first got the ABS, VSC lights, i found per the forums and most Lexus mechanics i should expect the actuator to be the culprit. I was told since my brakes were functioning at the time (upon actual inspection) not to worry about it too much and that i would still be able to drive temporarily.. without abs. After some time (couple months) however.. they (your brakes) will disappear without warning and you will have to downshift and slide into neutral to stop your car if the pump fails. DO NOT IGNORE THIS.
Replace the ABS Actuator assembly ASAP before it also causes your brake pump to short out and stop working, FYI its probably the accumulator that goes bad but its part of the actuator assembly anyways. The actuator: $1300-1700, The pump: $1400-1800... depends on the dealer and apparently the weather in the office.
Oh and be sure to get the LS600 actuator (verify part # 44050-50110 should supercede to # 44510-50090)
I thought it wouldn't happen but u know what, it happened to me.. without a warranty. I filed the NHTSA thingy but that doesn't provide ample lubrication for the SHAFTING i'm getting at the parts department.

P.S. other than the actuator upgrade, and the need for new (upgraded) bushings to be pressed into your front control arms, these cars can live up to the name, i still love my LS460... i just wish Lexus would recall this actuator already considering it IS a common safety issue... if you cant fix immediately.

Last edited by Dade305; 02-19-16 at 09:26 AM.
The following users liked this post:
joeox (07-13-17)
Old 02-18-16, 04:23 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks for the warning and tips. I never treat warning lights lightly to begin with, but it's always good to know the precise issues and repercussions at hand.
Old 02-18-16, 04:52 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 352 Likes on 243 Posts

I hear it's an internal leak of the abs unit that fails, and I wonder if mine is leaking because I occasionally hear a electric pump turn on when the car is parked. I wonder if perhaps it's leaking and the pump tries to build the pressure back up? It's been doing it since I bought the car two years ago and it tends to happen more right after the car is shut off....I don't think it happens all night or the battery would most likely drain.

Anyone else experience this?

And it does sound like it's coming from the ABS unit.
Old 02-18-16, 05:29 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

can this be prevented at all or is it guaranteed to fail eventually no matter what like the dreaded starter in the Ls400? the electronic brake engages and disengages every time you drive the car, twice. theres an auto button, and I live in florida with no hills. what if I just like, turned off the auto feature and didn't ever use it? could I avoid this hideous monster that way? I know by just slamming it into park all it does is place a pin in the transmission to prevent the car from rolling away, but im not really concerned about sliding down a hill..

thoughts?
Old 02-18-16, 06:03 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Stereorob
can this be prevented at all or is it guaranteed to fail eventually no matter what like the dreaded starter in the Ls400? the electronic brake engages and disengages every time you drive the car, twice. theres an auto button, and I live in florida with no hills. what if I just like, turned off the auto feature and didn't ever use it? could I avoid this hideous monster that way? I know by just slamming it into park all it does is place a pin in the transmission to prevent the car from rolling away, but im not really concerned about sliding down a hill..

thoughts?
My starter in my LS400 never failed in the 200k miles I owned it. Yes I think if someone has no extended warranty and doesn't want to pay for repairs they can and should turn off their auto fold mirrors, auto retracting steering wheel and e brake automatic engagement. Also my actuator was replaced under warranty for my cars previous owner. Do they fail again? Has anyone changed more than one on their car?

Quick Reply: Brake Actuator Help