LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

DVD Formats

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-14, 06:39 AM
ManXP
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DVD Formats

Searched the forum but couldn't find anything (if such a question is already answered, just drop me a link).

I have LS with ML audio and I want to know if I can burn MP3s into DVD+RW discs and play music? I believe it should work (because it does read MP3s burned as data into CD-RW), but just want to be sure. If so, should I burn DVD+RW as a simple data disc, or select some specific format?
Old 01-07-14, 10:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

no, you can only burn mp3 on cd. don't ask me why but that's the system limitation
Old 01-07-14, 04:42 PM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Received 90 Likes on 66 Posts

I create DVD audio discs on DVD-R discs and they sound really good. If you have the Mark Levinson system it can play DVD-Audio (which is different from the normal DVD-Video discs).
Old 01-08-14, 01:52 AM
ManXP
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, tested DVD with MP3s, didn't work :/
Old 01-08-14, 05:30 AM
philj
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ManXP
Yeah, tested DVD with MP3s, didn't work :/
in my 13 car i have a place to plug in a thumb drive and you can play mp3s there. It is in the center console.

there is a after market product I saw here on one of the posts that a company sells a aftermarket product that allows you play mp3s also.. I forget but I think the company is Visio but I might be wrong.
Old 01-08-14, 05:38 AM
philj
Driver

I just found the company here is the link:

http://www.vaistech.com/site/home.php
Old 01-09-14, 11:34 AM
joeyb
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a lot of DVD Audio. I use the Cirlinca software's DVD Audio Solo. They come out as DVD-A.

The advantage of mp3 on a DVD is that you could put tons of music on it. I have used it for the other end of the spectrum and downloaded high def (master grade) .flac files from HDTracks.
Old 01-09-14, 11:59 AM
whitetooth
Pole Position

Originally Posted by joeyb
I have a lot of DVD Audio. I use the Cirlinca software's DVD Audio Solo. They come out as DVD-A.

The advantage of mp3 on a DVD is that you could put tons of music on it. I have used it for the other end of the spectrum and downloaded high def (master grade) .flac files from HDTracks.
Lexus supports DVD-A and DVD Audio Solo is a nice piece of software for burning the discs. However, it is high definition but Lexus plays stereo only. If you have 5.1 FLAC files you need to burn DVD-V to get the surround sound. Cirlinca installs a third party plug-in when you burn a DVD the first time.

Taken from ML page:
Old 01-09-14, 12:09 PM
whitetooth
Pole Position

Originally Posted by philj
I just found the company here is the link:

http://www.vaistech.com/site/home.php
Right, with Vaistech MML you get spectacular clear sound and can listen to MP3 on USB stick. No need to exchange disks with a few music files. Vaistech MultimediaLinQ can play up to 999 songs in 999 folders on just one USB stick!

Old 01-09-14, 12:13 PM
whitetooth
Pole Position

Originally Posted by ManXP
Searched the forum but couldn't find anything (if such a question is already answered, just drop me a link).

I have LS with ML audio and I want to know if I can burn MP3s into DVD+RW discs and play music? I believe it should work (because it does read MP3s burned as data into CD-RW), but just want to be sure. If so, should I burn DVD+RW as a simple data disc, or select some specific format?
Here is the link:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ml-system.html
Old 01-09-14, 02:03 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

My Vaistech iViC can play MP3s and other formats via the USB connection. I have also played MP3s on a disc, but now i can't remember if it was a CD or DVD? Have to go back and look
Old 01-09-14, 02:19 PM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by whitetooth
Lexus supports DVD-A and DVD Audio Solo is a nice piece of software for burning the discs. However, it is high definition but Lexus plays stereo only. If you have 5.1 FLAC files you need to burn DVD-V to get the surround sound. Cirlinca installs a third party plug-in when you burn a DVD the first time.

Taken from ML page:
Whitetooth: I am certain that the ML in the Lexus LS will play 5.1 DVD Audio. I have a Denon reference DVD audio 5.1 disc and I can clearly hear 5.1 channels on DVD Audio. I also use HD Audio Solo from Cirlinca - and it is a really good piece of software.

Last edited by nsaldanh; 01-10-14 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-10-14, 08:59 AM
whitetooth
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nsaldanh
Whitetooth: I am certain that the ML in the Lexus LS will play 5.1 DVD Audio. I have a Denon reference DVD audio 5.1 disc and I can clearly hear 5.1 channels on DVD Audio. I also use HD Audio Solo from Cirlinca - and it a realy good piece of software.
OK, please tell me more about the Denon DVD. Can I download or buy it? I'm not the only one who is unable to play 5.1 DVD-A and like to find out why. Would you please check whether there are files in folder AUDIO_TS ? I expect it is hybrid, DVD-A and DVD-V

Maybe Cirlinca is guilty and not outputting 5.1

At https://www.clublexus.com/forums/2546234-post7.html DrexLex says:
In addition, the ML system can play back only 2 channels of PCM from DVD-A. So don’t bother making any source files with more than 2 channels. If you have a source of 5.1 programming, then you’re better off making a 5.1 Dolby Digital DVD, or make a DTS CD. Both of those will play perfectly and preserve the discrete 5.1 quality.

Last edited by whitetooth; 01-10-14 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-10-14, 04:41 PM
nsaldanh
Lead Lap

This is the disc. I bought it on Amazon in 2012. However I don't see it up for sale anymore by Amazon.

Amazon.com: Sonic Boom: Music Amazon.com: Sonic Boom: Music

I need to find the disc to check whether the files are in AUDIO_TS directory. It's been a while since I have played it. I originally bought it to prove to Lexus that the 2012 LS with the ML system was attenuating the bass when you turned up the volume. I did prove it to them, but they refused to do anything about it.

I have used Cirlinca HD Audio Solo to build a blu ray disc with 5.1 sound and that works on a blu ray player. I have not tried DVD Audio. Now you have me curious so I will download a 5.1 test track, burn it using HD Audio solo, and test it in my car.

Another thing: the post that you mention appears to be for the ML system in the GS. I believe those systems are the Premium Systems. The LS has a Reference system. Maybe it can play 5.1 DVD Audio.

Last edited by nsaldanh; 01-10-14 at 05:16 PM.
Old 01-11-14, 09:45 AM
whitetooth
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nsaldanh
This is the disc. I bought it on Amazon in 2012. However I don't see it up for sale anymore by Amazon.

Amazon.com: Sonic Boom: Music

I need to find the disc to check whether the files are in AUDIO_TS directory. It's been a while since I have played it. I originally bought it to prove to Lexus that the 2012 LS with the ML system was attenuating the bass when you turned up the volume. I did prove it to them, but they refused to do anything about it.

I have used Cirlinca HD Audio Solo to build a blu ray disc with 5.1 sound and that works on a blu ray player. I have not tried DVD Audio. Now you have me curious so I will download a 5.1 test track, burn it using HD Audio solo, and test it in my car.

Another thing: the post that you mention appears to be for the ML system in the GS. I believe those systems are the Premium Systems. The LS has a Reference system. Maybe it can play 5.1 DVD Audio.
Thank you for the DVD-A shop link. I just bought one; still available.
Here is a test iso for your car: DVD-A DVD-V
Same source, 5.1 FLAC, and DVD-A is stereo only. I tested it on my 2008 LS600 RSE system.

It is time for a write-up how to exchange a Lexus DVD player by Bluray. Is there anybody out there to do this? Either the rear seat entertainment player or front. Replacing the unit is not possible as it is an integrated part of the audio/video system. It is about the capability to read Bluray; maybe exchanging the laser and mechanics can do the job.

Quick Reply: DVD Formats