LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Diesel-like noise in Idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-14, 08:10 AM
tbtx2010
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Devh
It is possible that they did discover a problem and don't want to admit they were wrong on their original assessment, and want to turn it around to their advantage to appear to give you great customer service.
This is what I believe. Just can't see any reason Lexus would pay for this level of repair if they didn't believe something was seriously wrong.

Anyway, supposed to get it back today. I've been making them test it out for a few days. We'll see I guess.
The following users liked this post:
CamelKool (06-24-20)
Old 01-29-14, 10:59 AM
thomastan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

tbtx2010.... can you give me any paper work info from you work at the dealership? My car is at Park Place and having same issue. I recorded / video the knocking noise when on idle and reverse so tech can see it. At first, they told me they couldn't hear the same noise from my recording / video knocking noise. I told them it's very clearly heard if you just put it in drive or reverse while on idle. If the car is in park...the rpm is a tad higher so the knocking noise won't be heard as much when you are in lower rpm. My service rep call me a few day later and told me the noise was now heard by the tech and will wait on Lexus headquarters for further instruction on the repair. After waiting for two days, i received an email stating that headquarters want them to do a few more test before they finalized on this issue...this is where i am at today. I should get an answer back by tomorrow per my service rep.

By the way, I traded my wife's 07 LS in for a 2011...the 07 had the block, valve and etc recall done due to the accelerated hesitation issue...the 07 drove like a beast after the recall. I only drove the 2011 last week to notice the different in the drive and the knocking noise. I was told by a CL member in here by the name of Elio that it's the piston slap that is causing this noise. Elio was nice enough to call me and help me out on this issue. I will keep y'all updated...crossing my finger that they will get this resolved or else i will pursue legal action. I hope they take this in consideration that i now own the following cars from them below.

2006 GS430
2007 LS460 (traded in for 2011)
2011 LS460
2014 4Runner Limited
2010 Tundra Limited (traded in for 2014)
2014 Tundra Platinum Edition

FYI....if they tell you it's because of the fuel pump / injection...they are full of it !!! It's call a piston slap. The dealers are told to say this to all customers with this issue to send you away feeling the car is normal. You purchase a LEXUS ... not a Volvo run on diesel. Keep going at it with your service rep and also the general mgr of service dept...if needed....call Lexus 800 service...complain...complain...complain... until they get to know you really well...be nice and mature about it tho. Tell them you don't want to pursue legal action but if they are not fixing the problem...that will be your last choice. I did this with my 07 LS460 and headquarter approved the repair on the acceleration issue.

Last edited by thomastan; 01-29-14 at 11:26 AM.
Old 01-29-14, 11:29 AM
tbtx2010
Driver School Candidate

Happy to do what I can. Not sure what paperwork info I have to share though, other than the receipt they give me.

The dealership doing my work is Earnhardt Scottsdale Lexus. When I first took it in, they told me they didn't have a fix (and neither did the Lexus engineers they spoke to) and gave the car back to me. Before I drove home, I had a long conversation (very friendly) with the head of the service department. He suggested I call 1800-25 Lexus, which I did that night. I also sent an (very polite) email to the gm of the dealership, copied the service guy and my salesman. I just explained that it wasn't right, the warranty I bought obligated them to make it right, and that I would be in his office at 10am the next day to visit with him personally about the issue.

On the way to the dealership the next day, the head service guys called me and explained that they had heard back again from Lexus and that they were recommending the new short block. We discussed, and I thought about it over the holidays, then took it in 2+ weeks ago to get the work done. Heading out to pick it up now.

Not sure if it helps, but that's the whole story. I'll report back on how it runs. BTW - the guys at the dealership have been super easy to work with during all this. Guess we'll see how that holds up if there are residual problems from the repair work.
Old 01-29-14, 11:49 AM
thomastan
Lead Lap

tbtx2010...what year is your LS? I will PM you my email and tel#...can you please email me your paper work from the dealer so i can let my dealer see this repair? My car has the exact same issue as yours. Thank you for your help !!!
Old 03-27-14, 03:27 AM
pmiller
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 2010 LWB. Don't they all have this knocking issue? tbtk2010, how's your repair? It go away?
thomastan, what's the acceleration hesitation fix? I had an Avalon before my LS. It would hesitate ALL the time. Probably my biggest issue with that car. My LS does it once in a while. What do I need to do to make it a beast? Thanks.
Old 03-27-14, 02:44 PM
jharcher
Driver School Candidate

Default Diesel Like Noise

I have a 2012 LS460 and Virginia winters have given me ample "opportunity" to hear the "knock" while the engine warms up. Having previously owned a 2001 LS430, that I drove for 178,000 miles, it was quite a shock to hear any noise. Two different dealers that it was normal, Lexus sent a factory representative, who said it was normal, as soon as I started the car. Still not satisfied, I sent two separate Registered/Return Receipt Letters, to the office of the Chairman of Toyota, explained my concern, with the last requesting an explanation, from engineering perspective. Their explanation was piston slap and not injector noise, as previously told. It was interesting that no one has ever mentioned the metal timing chain, but, bottom line, the car performs great, mileage is excellent, for a car of this size and weight, at 27K miles, all check ups to date have been great AND I have a document, from Lexus, stating the noise would no have impact on the engine, or my warranty. So, we shall see how it goes, as I run up the miles..
CamelKool (06-24-20)
Old 03-27-14, 03:15 PM
jmcraney

Received 255 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by jharcher
Their explanation was piston slap and not injector noise, as previously told.
Thank you for sharing your details with us. "Piston Slap" has been offered as a possible explanation in several other threads in this forum but hearing it from "Headquarters" really gets my attention, and shame on Lexus for offering that lame "injector noise" explanation in the past. I think we all appreciate their newfound integrity.

Here are links to other threads on the same subject:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...wd-normal.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...-problems.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls4...t-low-rpm.html
Old 09-29-14, 09:10 AM
JMac1035
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tbtx2010,

How did the short block repair come out? Did it fix the dieseling sound?? I'm getting the same 'injector pump' explanation here in Atlanta as well. I've been living with it, but it gets on my nerves every now and again.

Thanks,
JMac1035
Old 09-29-14, 07:18 PM
LS2k
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Was given the "injector noise" excuse as well, now if this short block replacement is the solution, would it be possible to get this covered by the extended warranty?
Old 10-02-14, 07:25 PM
Pamperme
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by tbtx2010
Happy to do what I can. Not sure what paperwork info I have to share though, other than the receipt they give me.

The dealership doing my work is Earnhardt Scottsdale Lexus. When I first took it in, they told me they didn't have a fix (and neither did the Lexus engineers they spoke to) and gave the car back to me. Before I drove home, I had a long conversation (very friendly) with the head of the service department. He suggested I call 1800-25 Lexus, which I did that night. I also sent an (very polite) email to the gm of the dealership, copied the service guy and my salesman. I just explained that it wasn't right, the warranty I bought obligated them to make it right, and that I would be in his office at 10am the next day to visit with him personally about the issue.

On the way to the dealership the next day, the head service guys called me and explained that they had heard back again from Lexus and that they were recommending the new short block. We discussed, and I thought about it over the holidays, then took it in 2+ weeks ago to get the work done. Heading out to pick it up now.

Not sure if it helps, but that's the whole story. I'll report back on how it runs. BTW - the guys at the dealership have been super easy to work with during all this. Guess we'll see how that holds up if there are residual problems from the repair work.
Are u a movie director?? U left us hanging, my friend. We're all on the edge of our seats, hand in the popcorn tub, eyes glued to the screen. What happened????????
Old 10-06-14, 08:10 AM
tbtx2010
Driver School Candidate

Haha sorry for leaving you hanging. I got the car out and have had zero issues since. Runs perfect and no noise whatsoever.

Still not sure why they decided to change my engine, but so far so good.
CamelKool (06-24-20)
Old 10-06-14, 08:19 AM
subsurf
Driver School Candidate

Have had a 2014 LS460 for about six months and have also noticed the start up noise in the engine. Sounds like a cement mixer. I guess some think it sounds like a diesel engine. I also miss my 1999 LS400 which was as quiet as a kitten. Any solution for the noise?
CamelKool (06-24-20)
Old 11-30-15, 06:09 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally I thought it was a heater fan going bad. No extended warranty here so it can make all the noise It wants I don't care. I always have the stereo on anyway.
Old 12-01-15, 10:34 AM
superdenso
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

You could try a slightly heavier oil and have another listen (i.e. 0w30)
Old 12-03-15, 12:53 PM
7milesout
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Sounds like a diesel???

I don't know what kind of diesel you guys are comparing this sound to, but I have 2000 Dodge Ram with a Cummins diesel, with a 5" straight pipe (no cat, no muffler, no resonator ... fo' real a straight pipe). My Lexus doesn't sound ANYTHING like my truck.

As for a short block, if I had any vehicle that I was told needed a short block (and if I had believed it), it would have trade that sucker in and run away from it.

Quick Reply: Diesel-like noise in Idle