LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Question about long-distance buying

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-13, 02:22 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Also, some nationwide dealers will transport a car to you for free. Try searching auto trader set to private owner only, then set the range to 500 miles. Your best deals will be private owner.
Old 12-13-13, 06:45 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Lavrishevo
Also, some nationwide dealers will transport a car to you for free. Try searching auto trader set to private owner only, then set the range to 500 miles. Your best deals will be private owner.
Hmm..interesting. I paid trade in value for my CPO Ls600hL at a lexus dealership..far less than any private seller at the time..so I have to disagree
Old 12-14-13, 10:07 PM
LANewsboy
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bezee....

Here are three national inspection services:

https://www.carchex.com/inspect/

http://www.carzinspection.com/

http://www.autoinspections.net/
Old 12-15-13, 04:01 PM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 308 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by CJITTY
Hmm..interesting. I paid trade in value for my CPO Ls600hL at a lexus dealership..far less than any private seller at the time..so I have to disagree
As a generalization, private owner is almost always the best way to go price wise. It seems Lexus dealers tend to hold onto the cream puffs and you generally pay more for these. I don't know how you got trade-in for that 600 but that is awesome. By far, the average person will pay close to retail at a Lexus dealer. If the car has been sitting, you will have more wiggle room. Also, the fact you were buying a 600hl may have something to do with that. The market is not the same on those compared to 460's and 430's.
Old 12-16-13, 11:21 AM
bezee
Driver

Originally Posted by LANewsboy
Thanks a lot. Have you had any experiences with any?
Old 12-16-13, 11:30 AM
bezee
Driver

Originally Posted by CJITTY
how far away is too far?

- For me, I would ship if over 1K miles away or more just because of the time.

can I really negotiate my price over the phone/email sight unseen?

- SURE YOU CAN!! most dealers are going to add plenty of pad in their pricing, especially on used. On the two LS's I have purchased since 2010 (2007 460 SWB in 2010 and 2008 600hL in 2012), I was able to save a combined $12K or so after comparing and negotiating. As suggested before, getting an independent inspection service to go to the car and look at it is money well spent if you are serious about getting it. Use services like Autocheck.com and Carfax.com and compare that with the inspection to see if there are any holes in the life history of the car. Log onto lexus.com and go to the my lexus link and plug in the VIN of the car and see the basic service history. Call the servicing dealerships like I did. They gave me all the scoop on my car. I almost bought a white 600 in Kansas at a Toyota Dealership. The salesperson at the Lexus dealer nearby told me that car had been wrecked significantly to where the wiring in the doors was all screwed up, but that didn't show on any report. That is why it was at the toyota dealer because they would not sell it. I'm sure someone got a fantastic deal on it and more than likely not having any long term issue..but who knows.

If you are going to spend $30K+ on a car, then a $400 plane ticket to go check it out may not be a bad investment..you can easily negotiate that out of your price and then some, trust me. They have a bottom line. Just use truecar.com and see what the average person is paying and then shoot way lower than that. All they can say is no, but be ready to walk away and not get attached to the car because that is when they get you. I almost walked away from mine and made it seem like I didn't like the car as much as online. Little scratches, issues with leather seats (normal wear but I hyped it) and the salesguy knocked off another $750 or so because I was calling the cab company to pick us up lol....it's all a game, just play and win. But remember, the dealer will usually make money of you, but as long as you are paying less than most, you are doing just fine. Good luck
Thanks for the excellent info. Autocheck and carfax are musts. I already do the service records check on Lexus.com on every vehicle I'm interested in. I never thought of calling the dealer to ask about the history of a vehicle that they have serviced to get the scoop on it since I'd think they wouldn't really remember the vehicle like that. But that's a great idea and I will definitely try it. I agree, when spending 30K+ the plane ticket is well worth it and I'm prepared to fly and drive it home if the drive is feasible. Now on to the search!
Old 12-27-13, 10:14 AM
amit1947
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What should I pay for a 2008 LS460 CPO with 35k miles (comfort plus package and ML at Lexus dealer)? What would be a "good deal" ?

Thanks guys, I'm currently in the hunt.
Old 12-27-13, 04:23 PM
Nospinzone

Received 406 Likes on 314 Posts

I would advise you to plug in all the specifics at Edmunds, KBB and NADA and see what they say. The values will vary, but that should put you in a close range.

Good luck with the hunt!