LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2013 LS460 improvements

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-13, 01:16 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
Default 2013 LS460 improvements

2013 LS 460 are they improved over the previous years? If so what do you owners see as the improvements?
Old 11-23-13, 05:03 AM
gb403
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 LS460 improvements

I had a 2008 LS460 now own 2013 LS460, I think the exterior design is improved the front and rear lights look better, the front end is totally different but I am not completely enamored with the look although it is growing on me. The interior is much improved, the seats are nicer they have better support and I think look nicer. The dashboard is much improved and the electronics are much better iPhone hookup bluetooth is much better. The new mouse controller is somewhat frustrating to get used to but with time it will be OK. I can now switch from Eco mode to sport mode which does change the way the car handles and I can tell the difference. I think the car is much better overall but my 2008 was a great car also. I am overall very happy with the newer version. I do wish Lexus had more exterior color options to pick from as most of the cars were either white or black. I did however after doing my own research on the dealers site find a silver one. I would have bought a red one if I could have found one. This is from my own experience they do offer a sport version which although very nice I didn't need.
Old 11-23-13, 11:19 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by gb403
I had a 2008 LS460 now own 2013 LS460, I think the exterior design is improved the front and rear lights look better, the front end is totally different but I am not completely enamored with the look although it is growing on me. The interior is much improved, the seats are nicer they have better support and I think look nicer. The dashboard is much improved and the electronics are much better iPhone hookup bluetooth is much better. The new mouse controller is somewhat frustrating to get used to but with time it will be OK. I can now switch from Eco mode to sport mode which does change the way the car handles and I can tell the difference. I think the car is much better overall but my 2008 was a great car also. I am overall very happy with the newer version. I do wish Lexus had more exterior color options to pick from as most of the cars were either white or black. I did however after doing my own research on the dealers site find a silver one. I would have bought a red one if I could have found one. This is from my own experience they do offer a sport version which although very nice I didn't need.
Sounds like your experience reflects what I've read in Edmunds. I like the new front end! Thanks for the info.
Old 11-23-13, 03:10 PM
tyrenfroe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMO, 2013 is a giant step backward for Lexus. The styling is what the styling is. Some will like it, others not. So be it. But the reconfiguration of the interior from a wonderfully functional (and roomy) vertical stack to a fussy, cramped horizontal layout was a mistake that will annoy and frustrate owners for years to come. So you don't like fingerprints on your touchscreen? Solution is a ridiculous mousey-pucky thing that eats up ALL the precious console real estate available in a modern vehicle. This was a major mistake and one that I predict Lexus will correct within the next 5 years. Any bets that the 2018 LS controls will look a lot more like those in a 2007 rather than those in a 2013? How about 2:1 odds? Still no bets? Let's hope that Lexus is a company that quickly corrects its mistakes instead of one that determines to "teach the market" what it SHOULD want instead of what it DOES want.
Old 11-23-13, 08:32 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tyrenfroe
IMO, 2013 is a giant step backward for Lexus. The styling is what the styling is. Some will like it, others not. So be it. But the reconfiguration of the interior from a wonderfully functional (and roomy) vertical stack to a fussy, cramped horizontal layout was a mistake that will annoy and frustrate owners for years to come. So you don't like fingerprints on your touchscreen? Solution is a ridiculous mousey-pucky thing that eats up ALL the precious console real estate available in a modern vehicle. This was a major mistake and one that I predict Lexus will correct within the next 5 years. Any bets that the 2018 LS controls will look a lot more like those in a 2007 rather than those in a 2013? How about 2:1 odds? Still no bets? Let's hope that Lexus is a company that quickly corrects its mistakes instead of one that determines to "teach the market" what it SHOULD want instead of what it DOES want.
I'll take your bet. The 2018 controls will most likely be the same as those just introduced in the 2015 RC Coupe. That's a flat pad rather than a mouse. Touch screen is so Y2K.

http://www.edmunds.com/auto-shows/to...auto-show.html

Good thing Lexuses never die since you'll most likely have to buy a 2007 model to get what you want.
Old 11-23-13, 10:07 PM
tyrenfroe
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's not a "flat pad," it's a remote TOUCHSCREEN. If someone can explain how a remote touchscreen is better than an ACTUAL touchscreen, I'm all ears. Though, I guess Acura bought into it with their mini-touchscreen just below the larger display it's meant to control in the new RLX. At least they had the sense to keep kept the center stack configuration and didn't chew up prime convenience real-estate with a gigantic RTI (or a "flat pad").
Old 11-25-13, 08:39 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by tyrenfroe
That's not a "flat pad," it's a remote TOUCHSCREEN. If someone can explain how a remote touchscreen is better than an ACTUAL touchscreen, I'm all ears. Though, I guess Acura bought into it with their mini-touchscreen just below the larger display it's meant to control in the new RLX. At least they had the sense to keep kept the center stack configuration and didn't chew up prime convenience real-estate with a gigantic RTI (or a "flat pad").
Okay, "flat pad', "touch pad", whatever. That's the future of Lexus.
Old 11-26-13, 01:12 AM
LXurious
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I personally love the interior and the exterior except I hate that the drivetrain is still the same which is beaten by cadillacs hyundais and the like and the 600hl is pointless now as there is nothing special about it anymore now that LED's are standard
Old 11-26-13, 06:35 AM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Still disappointed with the wheel fitments and sizes. I get they "engineer the car a certain way" but to put 8" wide wheels on a boat like this looks so stupid to me and the offsets are so sunken in that it looks absolutely terrible without spacers. They should offer a 21" package like BMW does. It's an option, not standard for those who don't want the ride quality to diminish, but many of us crave an out of the box, don't need to do anything else to it kinda car. Many of the BMW 7 series are like that...no fender gap, wide wheels, aggresive lower body panels etc....Lexus is Lexus and set in their ways, but hopefully they will come out with some more true SPORT type of package options