LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2013 LS 460 F Sport Brakes

Old 11-12-13, 12:37 PM
Kbueno
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ls4guy
so while i'm on my 3rd ls now, i have to laugh. i test drove an f-sport and it was nice. i feel the standard trim has a better front signature with the fogs at night but lets discuss the squeal. yes, it can be annoying but what the hell are these ppl thinking they're buying??!! the f-sport is a sports-tuned vehicle with aftermarket brembos. bedding should always be done but most on this thread will think u're suggesting having sex with that car.

i bypassed the f because 90% of the time i'm cruisin'. this vehicle is a boulevardier. if u put lipstick on a hawg, it's still a hawg, k.. so u buy the f and have some squeal. lex will fix it i'm sure but that fix will result in longer stopping distances which negates the f effect.

ppl need to get their heads straight. the ls is not a twin-turbo sports vehicle. the demographics for the car indicate a more sedate crowd. most are old (like me) and can't even appreciate the level of tech in the car. the f trim is there to primarily appease the mags - car & driver, road & track because their write-ups effect sales. i've had an '07, '12 and now a special order '13. weird, as it seems this '13 is head and shoulders over the other 2. the ride control makes only a slight diff even in "sport +." the '19s are a bit disappointing but will do and provide some predictability when oversteer is induced. mind u, even with ecs, u can get this pup in the woods if u're not careful - not a complaint, just an observation. cars r meant to be driven. this ain't one of them but in a pinch, it'll do. the ml is still da **** but i miss the cd burn capability of the '07 and the '13 needs playlist support.

the is-f is the answer here but if u have a pair and most lex drivers don't, your luck will eventually run out and u'll meet lots of cops. it was hard not hittin' triple figs every day with that beast.

i guess these blogs allow folks to whine - must be lonely and could use a life.

. . . that's just my 2 cents.
LOL good post. I actually forced my wife into getting the Sport knowing that "Sport" on an LS is a misnomer. Happy to say I was relatively surprised by how much the pig could dance. The brakes haven't squeeked for me, but the god damn dust is insane...two days and it looks like the front wheels are gunmetal gray. I noticed there is a lot of brake lube on those backing plates, has anyone tried over-lubing to stop the squeeks,
Old 11-12-13, 05:38 PM
14LSSport
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Swap to Carbotech brake pads. I don't think you will be disappointed,

I never had any squealing brakes on my 12 Range Rover Sport Supercharged vehicle that I had Carbotech pads all the way around.

Somebody on here buy some and let me know what you think. I'm going to order a set soon and have them waiting to put on when the car arrives.
Old 11-18-13, 05:47 AM
JG132
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Same issue with my Ls 460 sport, please keep me advised when you here the new pads are avaiable. I will do the same.

John
Old 11-18-13, 06:34 PM
ls4guy
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kbueno
LOL good post. I actually forced my wife into getting the Sport knowing that "Sport" on an LS is a misnomer. Happy to say I was relatively surprised by how much the pig could dance. The brakes haven't squeeked for me, but the god damn dust is insane...two days and it looks like the front wheels are gunmetal gray. I noticed there is a lot of brake lube on those backing plates, has anyone tried over-lubing to stop the squeeks,
ok, long post. granted, this issue with the f-sport's brake din is a pia; i get that. i'm not sure of the car savvy of folks on here but i go back a ways. i can tell u that every car is a compromise and when one chooses the performance opt, they should expect issues. brembo could give a hoot about lex or any other marque for that matter. their mission is to provide the best braking and as a result, there will be dust and sooner or later some squeal. those brakes are designed for max stopping. so that leads to the next question. why bother with the f int eh 1st place?

what we have here is a 2 ton beast with a tiny 281 cu (4.6l) normally aspirated pump that puts out 380-6 hp. i come from a time when some 6s were about that size that could barely generate 150 hp. hell, i haven't even mentioned this whip will do 14s in the qtr right out of the showroom. this is sacred territory for american pony cars of lore. so sure, i may have an appreciation that many here won't but on the roads today folks r pathetic! they have all this go and take forever to just get up to 60 on a super hwy. i guess it's tuff fixing your hair while reading a text and tryin to merge on a hwy where the speed limit is 70.

my '13 ls was a special order. i got the air suspension cause i wanted the best i could get in a plain-o. that said, even on sport +, i'd like to see a flatter corner but when i did a reality check, i realized that this is not the ride to soup up. sure, i can get the dlrship to install a f-type sway bar in the front fairly reasonably but the rear is a whole nother small fortune story. that's y i'm considering a used 2dr cts-v for fun and games. i figure when it's time to play, i can really stretch it out with some 500+ ponies giving willingly. and women wonder y we r the way we r about cars. so we'll see. this is not the wisest msg to post either, God forbid i have a some accident and someone looks me up here. movin on.

let's face it, few if any will even drive the ls-f like it can be driven. don't believe me, how often do u see a vette hit it? now a 'stang driver will play but a vette, puhleeze. ppl tend to buy this type primarily for image or because it was there. no disrepect to u f folks but i've NEVER seen an ls drifting a curve. oh yes, i can and i have what's even more fun is drifting a gx. amazing how well that truck can handle much more fun to drive than the ls but it's a twuk.
The following users liked this post:
Burgie (09-02-21)
Old 11-19-13, 04:54 AM
14LSSport
Driver

so while i'm on my 3rd ls now, i have to laugh. i test drove an f-sport and it was nice. i feel the standard trim has a better front signature with the fogs at night but lets discuss the squeal. yes, it can be annoying but what the hell are these ppl thinking they're buying??!! the f-sport is a sports-tuned vehicle with aftermarket brembos. bedding should always be done but most on this thread will think u're suggesting having sex with that car.

i bypassed the f because 90% of the time i'm cruisin'. this vehicle is a boulevardier. if u put lipstick on a hawg, it's still a hawg, k.. so u buy the f and have some squeal. lex will fix it i'm sure but that fix will result in longer stopping distances which negates the f effect.

ppl need to get their heads straight. the ls is not a twin-turbo sports vehicle. the demographics for the car indicate a more sedate crowd. most are old (like me) and can't even appreciate the level of tech in the car. the f trim is there to primarily appease the mags - car & driver, road & track because their write-ups effect sales. i've had an '07, '12 and now a special order '13. weird, as it seems this '13 is head and shoulders over the other 2. the ride control makes only a slight diff even in "sport +." the '19s are a bit disappointing but will do and provide some predictability when oversteer is induced. mind u, even with ecs, u can get this pup in the woods if u're not careful - not a complaint, just an observation. cars r meant to be driven. this ain't one of them but in a pinch, it'll do. the ml is still da **** but i miss the cd burn capability of the '07 and the '13 needs playlist support.

the is-f is the answer here but if u have a pair and most lex drivers don't, your luck will eventually run out and u'll meet lots of cops. it was hard not hittin' triple figs every day with that beast.

i guess these blogs allow folks to whine - must be lonely and could use a life.

. . . that's just my 2 cents.

I just got out of a 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged 510 hp AWD Autobiography Edition.

I had massive Brembo front brakes on that vehicle, no squeal, just lots of brake dust, so I changed to carbotech pads, hardly any brake dust .

Why should I expect squeaking brakes on my LS F-Sport???
Old 11-19-13, 06:32 PM
ls4guy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 14LSSport
I just got out of a 2012 Range Rover Sport Supercharged 510 hp AWD Autobiography Edition.

I had massive Brembo front brakes on that vehicle, no squeal, just lots of brake dust, so I changed to carbotech pads, hardly any brake dust .

Why should I expect squeaking brakes on my LS F-Sport???
your stopping distances have likely increased, k.

u don't get it. there r trade offs with everything. it's nice to blow the doors off another car but if u're doin it i a truck, i hope it's in a straight line. the rover is nice but typically the brits have always produced nice crap. back in the day it was the lucas lamps and "electricals" today who knows. my ex had an xj-r. what a rocket but otherwise a piece of crap if u got over 90k on it.

this is a toyota sight and we discuss our ls beasts. i try to be practical - nothing more. wish u the best.
The following users liked this post:
Burgie (09-02-21)
Old 11-22-13, 07:57 AM
14LSSport
Driver

your stopping distances have likely increased, k.

u don't get it. there r trade offs with everything. it's nice to blow the doors off another car but if u're doin it i a truck, i hope it's in a straight line. the rover is nice but typically the brits have always produced nice crap. back in the day it was the lucas lamps and "electricals" today who knows. my ex had an xj-r. what a rocket but otherwise a piece of crap if u got over 90k on it.

this is a toyota sight and we discuss our ls beasts. i try to be practical - nothing more. wish u the best.
RRS was fast and mechanical was fine, just I started having electrical grimlins' , Power rear hatch lift malfunctions, iPhone/Radio bluetooth sinking problems, Subwoofer in hatch rattled. For 90 K, I expected better.

Over a period of several months, I test drove the Audi A6, S6, A7, S7, SQ5, Mercedes E 550, S 500, GLK, Lexus GS 450h, GS 350 F-Sport before ordering my LS..

I'm back from the Dark side,

Lexus will make it right.

You see what I ended up ordering, A reliable nice ride. I've owned a Lexus before.
Old 11-25-13, 07:15 AM
ls4guy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 14LSSport
RRS was fast and mechanical was fine, just I started having electrical grimlins' , Power rear hatch lift malfunctions, iPhone/Radio bluetooth sinking problems, Subwoofer in hatch rattled. For 90 K, I expected better.

Over a period of several months, I test drove the Audi A6, S6, A7, S7, SQ5, Mercedes E 550, S 500, GLK, Lexus GS 450h, GS 350 F-Sport before ordering my LS..

I'm back from the Dark side,

Lexus will make it right.

You see what I ended up ordering, A reliable nice ride. I've owned a Lexus before.
welcome back!! and so u don't think u're alone, if i hadn't mentioned it previously, i'm considering a used 2 dr cts-v for a 6 mos play. i'd still keep the ls though. my dlr buds have warned me against the 2 dr though as it's a very hard to trade. i'm hoping i lose interest very soon.

peace
Old 11-25-13, 07:54 AM
14LSSport
Driver

welcome back!! and so u don't think u're alone, if i hadn't mentioned it previously, i'm considering a used 2 dr cts-v for a 6 mos play. i'd still keep the ls though. my dlr buds have warned me against the 2 dr though as it's a very hard to trade. i'm hoping i lose interest very soon.

peace
I was going to test drive a 14 CTS-V, but they weren't out until just recently before ordering F-Sport. . I've got some fast trucks to drive, so I chose the luxury. The 14 CTS-V is a V-6 Twin Turbo. You will love the V-8 Supercharged motor. Let me know if you need to know where to get some go fast goodies for it.

A friend has a CTS-V Sedan 4 dr, I think a 2010 and his mother has a 2012 or 13 CTS-V 2 dr, I can't remember which year. They like them alot.
Old 01-08-14, 01:01 PM
Greg1957
Driver School Candidate

Default Disgruntled 460 F Sport owner

I have been experiencing the same squealing of my brakes for about 4 months. It is more embarrassing then a safety issue. I have had the vehicle serviced at Lexus dealerships in IN, AL, and here in NC. I was told that the only remedy was for me to pay to have the brakes replaced. This is my 4th Lexus.......very, very disappointed.
Old 01-08-14, 04:23 PM
Dryrunner
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I bought my 2011 LS460 Sport in Sept. Brakes squealed. I bought new pads and rotors and did the job myself. I have done brakes on my Cayenne, GS400, friends cars, etc. I then bedded them in properly. Quiet for 1 week. Then squealing ever since. I don't really mind other people listening to the squeal in traffic as I run the A/C 95% of the time. I also won't mind switching to another company's brake pad if necessary. I DO mind that Lexus hasn't figured this out since 2010. There is an interference or harmonic imbalance somewhere that an engineer, as is his living, should be able to nail down and solve. Lots of auto mfg use Brembo, so why the issue? And yes, I have a life and as an electrical engineer, I don't give my Clients a finished project that blows fuses or relays from time to time. Otherwise, I really love this car. Well, the ML stereo is pretty weak, but I will get that resolved myself.
Old 01-09-14, 06:15 AM
philj
Driver

On the brakes and the F Sport. ride.

Brakes: My brakes squeal sometimes and sometimes they do not.. I do not speed up and then slow down between lights and on the highway I slow down in advance. I wonder if there is a connection between the way you drive and the squeal??

The F Sport ride: It is not as fast as or as nimble my AMG and it does not dive like a sports car. Still the F Sport seats are more firm and more comfortable and the steering is tighter and the ride is more firm than my LS was. Th car sits lower and I am sure it takes corners better. It is fast enough for getting around and in Sport+ mode it has a nice sound.

It may not be a race car but in my opinion it is better than the stock LS460.

Just my opinion.
Old 03-06-14, 05:45 AM
Jgross
Driver School Candidate

Default LS 460 F sport brake squeak problems

I am on my third set of Brake pads. They started grinding the first week i had the car. they have replace with two aftermarket pads with the same result. Would not make noise for about two weeks then grind everytime i stopped. last week they put the pads on that Lexus said would corredt the problem. The "fix" that Lexus has been coming out with for the last 6 months... two hours after picking it up they started squeeking again. i am exploring all options of returning the car. i have never heard of any car having this consistant of a problem and the company not being able to correct it. very frustrating because i like everything else about the car. much nicer than a standard LS
Old 03-06-14, 06:30 AM
Ascari_2
Advanced

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jgross
I am on my third set of Brake pads. They started grinding the first week i had the car. they have replace with two aftermarket pads with the same result. Would not make noise for about two weeks then grind everytime i stopped. last week they put the pads on that Lexus said would corredt the problem. The "fix" that Lexus has been coming out with for the last 6 months... two hours after picking it up they started squeeking again. i am exploring all options of returning the car. i have never heard of any car having this consistant of a problem and the company not being able to correct it. very frustrating because i like everything else about the car. much nicer than a standard LS
Grinding and squeaking are two completely different things.
Old 05-16-14, 07:03 PM
sg7117
Driver School Candidate

Default break dust

Originally Posted by Lvbadboyz
I recently purchased a 2013 LS460 F Sport and having annoying squeaking front brake problems. I contacted my local dealership and Lexus Corp. and was told "there is no fix". It's hard to believe that a company this size does not have a fix for this problem? Anyone else going through this???
I'm having the same exact issues, they've changed the breaks and its still doing the same thing. Something gots to be able to be done about this, it is embarrassing to be driving such an expensive car with all that break dust!!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2013 LS 460 F Sport Brakes