LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Clicking noise from the rear brakes when tapping brakes in reverse

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-13, 12:35 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Clicking noise from the rear brakes when tapping brakes in reverse

Hey guys I had my window down as I was backing the car into the garage today and heard a metallic clicking noise from the rear as I tapped on the brakes. The noise only happens when I am in reverse. When I put it in drive and move forward there is no clicking noise. Anyone have an idea if this is normal?? As an AZ resident its rare for us to have the windows down so to be honest I cant really say how long this has been going on for. Any help would be appreciated. If it helps my car was just in for service for oil , tire balance, and alignment this saturday
Old 09-25-13, 12:50 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Hey guys I had my window down as I was backing the car into the garage today and heard a metallic clicking noise from the rear as I tapped on the brakes. The noise only happens when I am in reverse. When I put it in drive and move forward there is no clicking noise. Anyone have an idea if this is normal?? As an AZ resident its rare for us to have the windows down so to be honest I cant really say how long this has been going on for. Any help would be appreciated. If it helps my car was just in for service for oil , tire balance, and alignment this saturday
Hey Tamer,

This is normal on the LS, at least on all the ones I've driven. Pads are preloaded forward, and the clicking you hear is the pads shifting in the caliper as they engage in reverse. Nothing to worry about according to the shop foreman. However, replacing the spring clips (part of the brake fitting kit) or retensioning them could allegedly reduce the noise.
Old 09-25-13, 01:31 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks so much for the response my friend. I was literally in the car on the way to the dealership. I was maybe a black past my house and decided to check the thread before I got to far and then I saw your post. Thank you so much. You just saved me a 50 mile round trip drive to the dealership. I will mention it to the SA when he calls so he can make a note to adjust and/or check the spring clips. Thanks again. I have been home sick for 2 days and was happy to at least get a chance to rest. The idea of having to run to the dealership wasnt one that made me happy
Old 09-25-13, 01:43 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by caha14
Hey Tamer,

This is normal on the LS, at least on all the ones I've driven. Pads are preloaded forward, and the clicking you hear is the pads shifting in the caliper as they engage in reverse. Nothing to worry about according to the shop foreman. However, replacing the spring clips (part of the brake fitting kit) or retensioning them could allegedly reduce the noise.
Wait !!

I just found a TSIB on the same issue. BR005-06. I wonder if they cover TSIBs after 50k?

Technical Service Information Bulletin
December 1, 2006
Title:
BRAKE PAD CLICKING NOISE
Models:
’07 LS 460/460L
TSIB REVISION NOTICE:
S July 19, 2007: The Introduction has been updated. Applicable Vehicles has been updated. The Production Change Information table has been added. The Warranty Information table has been updated. Steps 2 – 4 of the Repair Procedure have been updated. PLEASE READ ENTIRE TSIB.
Previous versions of this TSIB should be discarded.
Introduction
Applicable Vehicles
Warranty Information
Some 2007 model year LS 460/460L customers may complain of a “clicking” noise from the front and rear brakes when traveling in reverse and applying light brake pressure or when shifting from drive to reverse.
S LS 460/460L equipped w/18” standard wheel — The front and rear brake pad backing plates have been modified. Install new front and rear brake pads and apply grease to reduce this condition.
S LS 460L equipped w/19” Touring Package wheel option (high friction brake pad) — No changes have been made to the brake pads. Apply grease to reduce this condition.
Old 09-25-13, 01:43 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

no tammer, what you need to do is to replace the FRONT brakes from me

j/k. yes it's the pad shifting, heard it before and i wondered about it too. seems it's quite normal, just roll your windows back up hehehe

and get well, buddy!!!!
Old 09-25-13, 02:19 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
no tammer, what you need to do is to replace the FRONT brakes from me

j/k. yes it's the pad shifting, heard it before and i wondered about it too. seems it's quite normal, just roll your windows back up hehehe

and get well, buddy!!!!

Thanks so much Henry. I'm actually coming to LA soon. I'll PM you. Thanks for the response. I looked at the brake actuator issue and it seems more extreme than mine. I only have the click in reverse with light tap to the brakes. The actuator issue seems to happen while driving.
Old 09-25-13, 06:16 PM
caha14
Racer

Received 74 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Thanks so much for the response my friend. I was literally in the car on the way to the dealership. I was maybe a black past my house and decided to check the thread before I got to far and then I saw your post. Thank you so much. You just saved me a 50 mile round trip drive to the dealership. I will mention it to the SA when he calls so he can make a note to adjust and/or check the spring clips. Thanks again. I have been home sick for 2 days and was happy to at least get a chance to rest. The idea of having to run to the dealership wasnt one that made me happy
Hope you feel better soon!
Old 09-25-13, 06:48 PM
CJITTY

Received 146 Likes on 109 Posts

Lol..wow..your are real late on this one as a vet of the forum hahaha...there are some threads in the FAQ sticky thread on this ;-)

Sent via Club Lexus Mobile App