LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Any LS460 owners with BC Racing Coilovers and bags from Universal Air Suspension?

Old 08-21-13, 02:36 PM
jayhoang
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tnbigdawg
Oh okay, I may have gotten you mixed up with someone else's build. I was following your blog during your install but that was a while back.

My car is all the way aired up (bouncy as you mentioned), and because of the faulty VU4 valves I've been getting I can't lower it until I get my repaired VU4 back from Accuair.
I've also got a small issue and I've contacted Accuair and they think it may be the ECU. They sent it last week and it's scheduled to come tomorrow.

Basically, I'll set height #2 and when I press it, it'll lower one corner all the way and back up again and keep constantly adjusting itself. I'm hoping that the new ECU fixes it.

But I digress... Basically, it's a lot of playing around and fine tuning the height of the bags and the length of the shocks. Hopefully it works out for you.
Old 11-14-13, 03:13 PM
tnbigdawg
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: Hopefully my experience with this will help others looking to go aftermarket air ride on their LS460.

I ditched the UAS bags and BC coilovers after about 350 miles on them (up for sale BTW; PM me if interested) because I just couldn't get them dialed in the way I wanted to. I swapped them out for Airrex struts, which provided a slightly stiffer feel to the ride but I don't think it was worth all the trouble because the difference was not night and day.

The ride comfort on both of these setups were not too bad though. It's not a stock feel that's for sure though.

If I were able to do it all over again I'd probably save up and just buy Airrunner, but just the OTG struts alone I was quoted over $1.5k more than the cost of both my strut setups combined!

BTW, Accuair's customer service is top notch!

Comparison pic

Pic Folder to my struts
Old 11-14-13, 08:10 PM
MrExecutiv
Lexus Champion

I was actually thinking of going the same route. I can't stand the clunking noise. Did those billet tops help eliminate the clunking, or it didn't make a difference at all?
Old 11-14-13, 08:42 PM
mlum808
Driver

What psi are you riding on? That will make a big differance.

The differance with the BC UAS and AIRREX systems is with the AIRREX system the damper is Valved for each car and the type of bags thats on the Struts the BC are valved for the Coil spring rates and not the UAS bags.

I have installed Airrex on many Lexus models and the ride is perfect not to soft not to stiff if the dampening is set to soft. Set the dampening to stiff and it will ride stiff.

IF you are driving high with High PSI it will be more stiff and bouncy. The AirREX system was made to ride low.

Also with the UAS bags over the BC.. is the lower bag mount set at 4 inches? if its any lower than 4 inches you will loose the full range of the bags and will have to run higher PSI to get to your hieght.
Old 11-14-13, 08:47 PM
mlum808
Driver

Got it. Right now I'm using billet upper mounts which bolts the bags to the top and helps keeps it from spinning. So the only mount position I can adjust is the lower bag mounts. If I go too low, I know the bags will hit the metal sleeve that's inside it. If I go too high, I assume I won't get maximum drop when I air out. Currently I have maximum travel for both raise and drop to the ground.

I can't even test the system right now. The poppet inside my VU4 valve failed and I had to send it to Accuair. They sent me a used/temporary valve but it too failed after a couple of days. We thought it was debris, but instead it's the poppet failing for some reason.

Click here to see the strut assembly and billet mount

Jayhoang, you're running Airrex strut/bags right? How's the ride? If this becomes too much of a headache, I may opt to try and get either the Airrex or Airrunner strut system.

Do they even sell the Airrex or Airrunner struts separately?

Thanks everyone!
Yes Airrex sell just the Struts.
Old 11-14-13, 10:23 PM
lbintab
Lexus Test Driver

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I've had nothing but great experience with Airrunner suspension and accuair management. Everything is perfectly dialed in right on install. I don't know about Airrex though. I know they are having issues with accuair. Airrex was claiming accuair was selling knock off Airrex when in actuality Airrex couldn't fulfill the initial order because they were weeks or months behind on production. Oh the drama i witnessed at SEMA hahaha I pretty sure going forward you'll have to order airrex and accuair separately. Like it may be hard to order accuair from a airrex dealer.
Old 11-15-13, 04:56 PM
tnbigdawg
Driver

Originally Posted by MrExecutiv
I was actually thinking of going the same route. I can't stand the clunking noise. Did those billet tops help eliminate the clunking, or it didn't make a difference at all?
I don't recall any clunking noise with the UAS/BC setup. The billet mounts are actually meant for the 2nd Gen GS' front struts, but I used them on all 4 for the LS460 without any modifications.

The bags do sit at the top of the strut towers though, so the lower perches for the bags were about 1" below the UAS steel mounts when the bag was deflated. This allowed the car to go near laying frame when aired out, and to stock height when inflated.

This reminds me. The UAS has a quieter operation from fully deflated to inflated. The Airrex "pops" as the bellows inflate; which is kind of annoying when people turn around and give you the WTF look.
Old 11-15-13, 04:58 PM
tnbigdawg
Driver

Originally Posted by mlum808
What psi are you riding on? That will make a big differance.

The differance with the BC UAS and AIRREX systems is with the AIRREX system the damper is Valved for each car and the type of bags thats on the Struts the BC are valved for the Coil spring rates and not the UAS bags.

I have installed Airrex on many Lexus models and the ride is perfect not to soft not to stiff if the dampening is set to soft. Set the dampening to stiff and it will ride stiff.

IF you are driving high with High PSI it will be more stiff and bouncy. The AirREX system was made to ride low.

Also with the UAS bags over the BC.. is the lower bag mount set at 4 inches? if its any lower than 4 inches you will loose the full range of the bags and will have to run higher PSI to get to your hieght.
I'm not running any PSI gauges, but I do ride at near stock height most of the time until I get wheels and lip kit installed. When it's dropped lower, the ride is more comfortable like you explain.

Last edited by tnbigdawg; 11-15-13 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-16-13, 12:17 AM
mlum808
Driver

Originally Posted by lbintab
I've had nothing but great experience with Airrunner suspension and accuair management. Everything is perfectly dialed in right on install. I don't know about Airrex though. I know they are having issues with accuair. Airrex was claiming accuair was selling knock off Airrex when in actuality Airrex couldn't fulfill the initial order because they were weeks or months behind on production. Oh the drama i witnessed at SEMA hahaha I pretty sure going forward you'll have to order airrex and accuair separately. Like it may be hard to order accuair from a airrex dealer.
Dont mean to jack this topic. SInce it is posted here Ill post our side of this matter. AS there is alway both sides to the story.

About the unkown struts being sold by another party? I wish i could comment more in detail about it but as of right now I cant say anything more about it. Most people will not beleive it anyways and think it was all made up. All we are going to say is beware of look alike AIRREX Products. IF you did get a Fake Unknown strut and ordered AIRREX We are sending free replacements to those that are victums.

AIRREX just wanted to clear up what you said about AirREX couldn't fulfill the initial order because they were weeks or months behind on production.

AirREX turn around time is 3 weeks. Customers of the other party were told we were slow on our side when that wasnt true. The other party (AIRREX DEALER/S) wasnt placing the orders on a timely bases and that would delay the of ordering there customers AirREX struts weeks after the customer had placed there order. By the time we got the PO it was well past 3 weeks like every customer knows that orders directly from AIRREX or anouther AirREX Dealer we do get our customers orders within that three week time span or less.. The other partys customers were waiting so long they would email us asking about there orders and why was it taking so long. I was told to refer them back to the dealer for answers but when the customer explaines to us what they were told that we were the cuase of the delay we cant just sit there and listen to the lies by the (dealer/s) when we know that we ddint didint get an PO for there orders.

We do once in while have delays with US Customs holding shipment for weeks. but that will rarely happen and when it does we notify our customers or Dealers on the situation.

As we trust our dealers to provide the best service to AirREX customers. We at AirREX just wanted to say of you were one of those customers that had more than a 3 week wait on your AIrREX order we are very sorry.
Old 11-16-13, 12:31 AM
mlum808
Driver

I don't recall any clunking noise with the UAS/BC setup. The billet mounts are actually meant for the 2nd Gen GS' front struts, but I used them on all 4 for the LS460 without any modifications.

The bags do sit at the top of the strut towers though, so the lower perches for the bags were about 1" below the UAS steel mounts when the bag was deflated. This allowed the car to go near laying frame when aired out, and to stock height when inflated.

This reminds me. The UAS has a quieter operation from fully deflated to inflated. The Airrex "pops" as the bellows inflate; which is kind of annoying when people turn around and give you the WTF look.
I have installed kits on the lexus models many times and that pop is due to an strut not adjusted to the proper legnth.

We get that complaint all the time and if there local to our area we will just tell the customer to bring in the cars so we can adjust it. Most times these customer dont have a guage and it really makes it harder for us to get the correct adjustment.

We dont put in the manual or give a specfic measurement becuase everyones car has different wheel set ups and what not. If we gave an measurement and the customer wheels were wide and the wheels rub the bag somehow. We are to blame for that. So we just tell the customer to use dail it i in themself to there specs.
Old 11-17-13, 07:31 PM
tnbigdawg
Driver

I have installed kits on the lexus models many times and that pop is due to an strut not adjusted to the proper legnth.

Hey Marshall, I think I got an idea of what you're talking about. Is it because the way I have my struts setup so that when completely aired out the bags deflate way too much, and then pops when inflated?

The reason I ask is because it doesn't make the pop noise if I still have a little air in the bags (level 1 for on my Accuair) before I inflate them back up to level 2 or 3. Remember, Accuair has an All the way down button, Level 1, 2, and 3.

Also, Is the lower bag mount adjustable (I'm talking about the shiny silver billet one on the bottom of the bags with the wrench slots)?
Old 11-19-13, 01:01 AM
mlum808
Driver

Hey Marshall, I think I got an idea of what you're talking about. Is it because the way I have my struts setup so that when completely aired out the bags deflate way too much, and then pops when inflated?

The reason I ask is because it doesn't make the pop noise if I still have a little air in the bags (level 1 for on my Accuair) before I inflate them back up to level 2 or 3. Remember, Accuair has an All the way down button, Level 1, 2, and 3.

Also, Is the lower bag mount adjustable (I'm talking about the shiny silver billet one on the bottom of the bags with the wrench slots)?
the bags side are not to be adjusted. Adjustments are made using the lower mounts. Bags have a seal if you try to adjust the bag there are chances it will start to leak
Old 03-03-20, 02:19 AM
userix
Rookie

the bags side are not to be adjusted. Adjustments are made using the lower mounts. Bags have a seal if you try to adjust the bag there are chances it will start to leak
Pardon bringing the thread back from the dead, but how do you prevent the popping noise? I have the exact same issue with my setup and it's annoying to have that pop sound when airring up from competely airred out. People always think something is wrong with my suspension.
Old 10-06-20, 06:47 PM
Laidlexon2
Driver School Candidate

Default 07 ls460 bc coilovers bag conversion

What bags are you guys running on your BC Coilovers?