LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Michelin PS2 has finally solved my vibration problems after nearly 3 years !!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-13, 04:41 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts
Thumbs up Michelin PS2 has finally solved my vibration problems after nearly 3 years !!!!!

I have owned my LS460 since November 2010. Since I bought the car and put wheels on I have been plagued with vibration problems. I had my wheels replaced by VOSSEN, then we did a slew of tweaks and repairs by Lexus that did nothing, including a new driveshaft. I have tried Continentals, Pirellis, and had the work done at the highest end wheel shop in town ( literally a car show when I show up )and all to no avail . Finally after frustration that would have had me trade my car I went for it and dropped $2532 ( DAAAAAMMMMMMNNN!!!!) on a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 2 tires 255/30/22 front , and 295/25/22 rears. I had the tires sitting at the shop because I was almost nervous that it would still shake after install and didnt want to revisit the stress again. In the end I noticed last night that the tread on my front right tire ( Pirelli) was separating ( kind of scary since I was playing cat and mouse with a motorcycle at about 120 mph on the way home that Friday) so I decided to take her in.

Just picked up the car and hit the highway and the difference IS NIGHT AND DAY !!!! No vibration that cycles, no jittery water bottles, no vibrating radar detector, and no vibration that I can see in the head rest. The car feel smooth and normal for a wheels set of this size. I feel nothing and when I touch the chair all I feel is normal road vibration. So happy that this did the trick. I would strongly suggest that anyone who is having vibration issue and have had to go through all the stress and drama of getting them balanced and being passed around from dealer to dealer and shop to shop. Bottom line is that Michelins are the top rated tire brand ( if not top 2. Contis are ranked very high as well). They are better made and have less issues with production . I have heard all the stories but when you go through it and live the drama of not being able to get a smooth ride for 3 years almost its a different story.

I am pretty sure I am the very first CL LS460 member to have these tires put on a set of 22s and would strongly recommend them to everyone with or without vibration. I will do a full review on the tires when they are a bit older. BUt for right now Michelin, and Discount tire has resolved the issue that many shops and dealership could not, including the morons at Bell Lexus who put 642 miles on my car, damaged it, and couldn't diagnose the issue. It was a bad set of tires you worthless group of idiots ( I will be emailing corporate and Bell Lexus management to rub it in their faces)

COSMETIC:

The tires are the same size as all the others I have used but anyone who has run Michelins knows they run a bit wide. When I picked up the car it looked like someone installed the wheels with 3-4mm spacers. The wheels and tires look like they are flush with the fender. I know some guys would go with these tires just because they make your set up look that more aggressive. Just another bonus of going with the Michelins. I would kind of describe the difference as the difference in the offset between my old Vossen VVS082s and my CV1s with the more aggressive offset. Subtle but still noticeable. I will post some pics of the tires and fenders tonight when I get home.

The only thing I have noticed that is not ideal is that they are a bit noisier than my old Pirellis but they are also very high performance. I would rather the noise than the vibration especially when it means better grip and ride. I can hide road noise with some music, but with the vibration from low rent tires my freaking radar detector is shaking !!
Old 07-08-13, 05:05 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

awesome to hear that tammer! trust me you will love the performance, this tire grips. had them on the m3 and they are amazing. for high performance tires they are incredible in terms of comfort and noise level
Old 07-08-13, 05:36 PM
Lextrician
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

best tire point blank just a little overkill for the 460 like I have stated before but I do love the michelins will I get another set yes if the price is right. every now and then tire rack have them on sale i got my 255 30 22 from tire rack last year for less than 6 hundred shipped I remember discount tire popped one trying to mount it and the new replacement was like 5 plus.
Old 07-08-13, 05:47 PM
brianlin87
Resident JDM Snob

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

wow your tires cost more than you wheels!
Old 07-08-13, 05:57 PM
SprtDesign
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whenever you have aftermarket wheels and get shakes its 99% always the balance. Tires could be defective as well, but a good balance would eliminate wheel shake esp.on a large diameter wheel. I had discount tire re balance my wheels 4 times to get the balance right, they did and all was fine. It really is a slim tolerance on larger diameter wheels to get the balanced. The low profile of the tire will amplify anything wrong with the drive ability of the car. (bent wheel, off alignment, worn suspension parts, etc...)
Old 07-08-13, 08:06 PM
Grouchy
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm still bit a curious how bad your vibration was to drop over 2500 dollars on tires. I have no abnormal vibration from what I can tell on my Falkens.
Old 07-08-13, 09:47 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Grouchy
I'm still bit a curious how bad your vibration was to drop over 2500 dollars on tires. I have no abnormal vibration from what I can tell on my Falkens.
It was pretty bad. What was odd was at times it was so bad I could see my radar detector shaking slightly. Very annoying. In the end a set of comparable Nittos or Pirellis would have run around 1600-1700 so in the end it was only 800 extra but I did get the certificates for replacement if there is a nail or damage. Without the certificates it would have been around $2200 for the set
Old 07-08-13, 09:48 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by brianlin87
wow your tires cost more than you wheels!
not sure where you get Vossens but they cost more than 2500 where I get them
Old 07-08-13, 09:58 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
awesome to hear that tammer! trust me you will love the performance, this tire grips. had them on the m3 and they are amazing. for high performance tires they are incredible in terms of comfort and noise level
Thanks Henry. I feel like you get what you pay for. The car rides really well and I am looking forward to tossing this big girl around. I dont do it a lot but there are a few on and off ramps that I really enjoy. How many miles did you get from a set ? Im not expecting much more than 15k miles for a set. I am hoping that by the time I get a new set the PS3 will be available. Right now its only made in a handful of sizes. The amazing thing about the PS3 is more grip with a pretty significant increase in tread wear

Originally Posted by Lextrician
best tire point blank just a little overkill for the 460 like I have stated before but I do love the michelins will I get another set yes if the price is right. every now and then tire rack have them on sale i got my 255 30 22 from tire rack last year for less than 6 hundred shipped I remember discount tire popped one trying to mount it and the new replacement was like 5 plus.

I agree that the tire is totally overkill for a Lexus LS460 but, as I told my brother, it was the only Michelin tire that was available in the sizes that I ran on my car. In a perfect world I would have went with a set of the Michel Pilot sport AS plus. That was an amazing tire. I have noticed that the PS2 was an oem tire for a while for a good number of sports sedans and sports cars. It seems like as the tire has dated they have moved on. Im sure the PS3 will be on all of the high end sports cars soon.
Old 07-08-13, 10:10 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I just put a set of those on my LS last week! I like them a lot. For people that are dropped you will have to roll your rear quarter panel lip in a little bit because they will rub in the rear. The sidewall is more straight compared to the Vredesteins I had on there before.
Old 07-08-13, 10:11 PM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I think I paid $1900-ish from TireRack for the set of 4.
Old 07-08-13, 11:44 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Thanks Henry. I feel like you get what you pay for. The car rides really well and I am looking forward to tossing this big girl around. I dont do it a lot but there are a few on and off ramps that I really enjoy. How many miles did you get from a set ? Im not expecting much more than 15k miles for a set. I am hoping that by the time I get a new set the PS3 will be available. Right now its only made in a handful of sizes. The amazing thing about the PS3 is more grip with a pretty significant increase in tread wear

I agree that the tire is totally overkill for a Lexus LS460 but, as I told my brother, it was the only Michelin tire that was available in the sizes that I ran on my car. In a perfect world I would have went with a set of the Michel Pilot sport AS plus. That was an amazing tire. I have noticed that the PS2 was an oem tire for a while for a good number of sports sedans and sports cars. It seems like as the tire has dated they have moved on. Im sure the PS3 will be on all of the high end sports cars soon.
you don't want to know. but if you have to, i got around 8-10k miles on each set. but then again it was m3 so obviously my driving habit was "a little" different
Old 07-09-13, 01:47 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rominl
you don't want to know. but if you have to, i got around 8-10k miles on each set. but then again it was m3 so obviously my driving habit was "a little" different
yeah, Im not expecting a lot but I want good performance and smooth ride.
Old 07-09-13, 01:51 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PRSUIT460
I just put a set of those on my LS last week! I like them a lot. For people that are dropped you will have to roll your rear quarter panel lip in a little bit because they will rub in the rear. The sidewall is more straight compared to the Vredesteins I had on there before.
Originally Posted by PRSUIT460
I think I paid $1900-ish from TireRack for the set of 4.
Even at stock height it ribs in the rear right. I will need to shave it like I had to do my GS back in the day when I went to Michelins. can imagine its pretty tight with these tires and a drop. I bought mine at the end of May and they have been sitting at the shop. Im glad I pulled the trigger on these. Have you noticed that they are a bit noisy. They are louder than my old Pirellis. In the end the noise can be masked easier than the vibration
Old 07-09-13, 10:06 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
yeah, Im not expecting a lot but I want good performance and smooth ride.
yeah i think i went through 7 sets of tires or so in my m3 (3 years). expensive but they are simply the best tires i have had so far, everything considered

Quick Reply: Michelin PS2 has finally solved my vibration problems after nearly 3 years !!!!!